Chief Financial Officer
The mission of Translators without Borders is to provide people with access to vital knowledge in their language. We do this by building language technology, increasing language translation capacity at a local level, providing language and simplification services that are culturally appropriate, accessible and open source, and raising awareness globally of language barriers.
Contract length: open-ended
Travel: up to 6 weeks/year
Reporting to: Executive Director
Deadline: 31 October 2019
The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a part of the Leadership Team, reporting to the Executive Director. The role oversees diverse income streams (sponsorships, individual donations, social enterprise activities, institutional grants, and foundation funding); diverse entities with specific requirements (Kenya, Ireland, Nigeria, and the US to date); as well as overall financial health and stability. In addition, TWB is almost wholly remote, simplifying some aspects, and making others more complex.
The profile includes very strong accounting and finance knowledge, analytical skills, attention to detail, knowledge of cloud-based accounting software, ability to work effectively under time pressure, very strong business partnering skills with ability to influence senior staff. The successful candidate will be a team player, proactive with the ability to offer structured guidance on a strategic level, and able to ensure that the right financial priorities are set for the organization within a broader program.
You love learning:
- You take an analytical, data-driven approach to problem solving.
- You’re curious and you understand why financial systems are cumbersome…and how to make them better.
- You’re eager to collaborate and learn from different people, from fintech and field workers to the disadvantaged people we are trying to support.
You know how to lead:
- You understand the “big picture” of the work you’re doing
- You empower your team and help others to make the best use of your work
- You want to contribute to the organization’s strategy and fundraising.
- You create opportunities across teams to learn and understand organizational finances
You take a strategic view:
- make good risk assessments.
- advise the CEO and the board on finance related risks and opportunities.
- design and present accurate, timely and useful financial statements for decision making purposes.
You make things simple:
- You can untangle financial knots and identify where to start in order to quickly deliver outputs, letting the team focus on their strengths.
- You can develop timely and accurate financial reporting in a simple and clear manner.
- You can evaluate trends, particularly in income and translate data and insights into solutions that address real world problems.
You know finance:
- You have a history of making financial systems work for the organization; this is your passion
- You know how donors – institutional, corporate, and individual – work and want to ensure that the organization has the right information and strategies in place to get the most out of our money
- You intuitively know where financial risk lies and can develop ways to mitigate risk
You love teamwork:
- You’re comfortable working with remote and globally distributed teams.
- You’re good at creating and managing teams with diverse areas of expertise.
- You can set measurable goals and manage to them.
- You build strong and trusting relationships.
- You have a good understanding of data privacy issues (GDPR and beyond)
- You’re hands on and willing to do what is needed to help the team.
- You care about social issues — these are the problems you want to solve.
Ten years experience in international not-for-profit financial, budgeting, accounting, financial reporting, grants/contract management, and business management in developing countries, preferably including experience with US tax compliance
At least 5 years at HQs level.
At least three years experience in a developing country
- Thorough understanding of financial accounting, reporting and grants and contract management processes;
- Solid analytical and problem solving, financial troubleshooting and audit experience;
- Ability to maintain customer focus while handling multiple priorities;
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards;
- Knowledge of and experience with generally accepted accounting principles
- Excellent leadership, coaching and negotiation skills;
- Ability to work at detailed level and understand the larger picture;
- Strong oral and written communication skills; Must be comfortable communicating in writing and electronically
- Experience with online finance systems;
- Must be able to work independently with limited direct supervision. Must be self-starting and able to meet deadlines
- English language fluency required.
- Familiarity and comfort with cloud-based computing, on-line banking and filing
About Translators without Borders
Translators without Borders (TWB) envisions a world where knowledge knows no language barriers. The US-based non-profit provides people access to vital knowledge in their language by connecting non-profit organizations with a community of language professionals, building local language translation capacity, and raising awareness of language barriers. Originally founded in 1993 in France (as Traducteurs sans Frontières), TWB translates millions of words of life-saving and life-changing information every year.
TWB’s operations have grown rapidly over the past three years and continue to grow. The demands on the finance team have increased exponentially in terms of the size of the budget, complexity of tasks and scope of the function. TWB now needs to increase our finance capacity to meet the growing demands and support needs of the leadership team and country programs.
Translators without Borders employees and volunteers are made of people who believe passionately about the value of this work and take personal responsibility for achieving the mission. Translators without Borders’ mission and organizational spirit embody the core values established in its strategic framework:
Excellence: As the leading voice for communicating humanitarian information in the right language, Translators without Borders is a leader in the translation industry and in the non-profit sector.
Integrity: Translators without Borders believes that every person, whether it’s the people who we serve, our volunteers or our staff, has value, deserves respect and has inherent dignity.
Empowerment: Translators without Borders believes in using language to empower people around the world to control their own development and destiny.
Innovation: Translators without Borders recognizes and celebrates the power of innovation to address humanitarian and crisis issues around the world.
Sustainability: Translators without Borders recognizes that meeting our mission necessitates establishment and maintenance of a solid financial and organizational infrastructure.
Tolerance: Our staff and volunteers are highly knowledgeable and skilled; value each other, our partner and our recipients; create a supportive work environment; and, conduct themselves professionally at all times.
Translators without Borders is an equal-opportunity employer, committed to diversity and inclusion, and encourages qualified candidates of all genders and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
To apply click here