Head of Base / Protection Project Manager – Lebanon
INTERSOS is an independent humanitarian organization that assists the victims of natural disasters, armed conflicts and exclusion. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable people.
Terms of reference
Job Title: Head of Base / Protection Project Manager
Duty station: Zahle, Bekaa, Lebanon
Starting date: 15/01/2020
Contract duration: Until the 31st of December 2020
Reporting to: Programme Coordinator, Head of Mission
Supervision of: 67 (UNHCR project staff); 72 total base staff – to be revised in 2020
General context of the project
The Protection project in Bekaa is designed and implemented in accordance with the Lebanon Crisis Response Plan, UNHCR and INTERSOS Protection Frameworks. This project aims at reinforcing effective protection environment for Syrian refugees and other vulnerable communities in Central and West Bekaa providing access to structured and quality protection services.
In 2019, INTERSOS was implementing a multicomponent project including : running of Community Development Centres, GBV case management, PSS, Legal services, Outreach Volunteers, protection monitoring and warehouse management.
The project for 2020 is currently under discussion with UNHCR and, if its renewal is foreseen, it is likely that the GBV case management component will be gradually handed over to national partner throughout the year 2020.
General purpose of the position
The position includes two main components: the management of the UNHCR funded protection project, and the global supervision of the Zahlé base and its daily functioning.
On the project management, the Project Manager is responsible for the overall management, economic and financial administration of the project and for its entire implementation process, ensuring the achievement of its objectives and results.
As a head of base, s/he is responsible for the coordination of essential support functions (i.e. administration, logistics, security management) to ensure a smooth running of the office. He also represents INTERSOS in coordination mechanisms/forum (Interagency) and toward the different stakeholders.
Main responsibilities and tasks
2020 project’s components handover (according to current project discussion, to be refined)
- Ensures the proper handing over of the protection component to national partner by planning, implementing and monitoring the process according to the action plan.
- Represents INTERSOS for all interaction and negotiation during the process, notably with UNHCR and the involved stakeholder (national identified NGO)
- In coordination with the support department (logistic, HR and admin), anticipates and adapts the needed resources
- Ensures an effective planning, implementation as well as monitoring and evaluation of the UNHCR funded project’s sub-components and timely delivery services according to targets set in the project description.
- Guarantees an efficient financial management for the project, in compliance with INTERSOS model and donor regulations
- Conducts regular meetings with program and support (as needed) staff to follow up on project implementation including revision of targets against achievements, identification of gaps in the response in order to define needed adjustments in the implementation· Undertakes regular field visits to provide technical guidance and supervision as well as regularly monitoring the progress of project activities.
- Works closely with colleagues in order to ensure the integration of project activities with other sectors.
- Coordinates with logistics, administration and finance units to procure all equipment, supplies and materials required to implement the project activities, ensuring cost efficiency and accountability in compliance with INTERSOS and donor regulations and procedures.
- In coordination with the administration and finance units, approves the release of installment payments to suppliers in line with the works progress.
- Prepares periodic project narrative and financial reports as well as other ad hoc reports, according to INTERSOS and donor requirements.
- Supports the development, implementation and evaluation of the Mission strategy and programme.
- Ensures the integration of activities with other INTERSOS projects, as well as coordinating with other actors intervening in the same area.
- Represents INTERSOS in relevant thematic working groups as well as other coordination and meetings, as needed.
- Addresses hiring needs for local workforce and managing contracts in accordance to guidelines provided by the Head of Mission.
- Manages project staff and promoting role-positioning, education, training, growth and assumption of responsibility.
- Supervises, motivating and appraising project staff, while promoting cohesion.
- Appraises senior project staff by means of performance appraisal forms to be shared with the Head of Mission.
- In coordination with the Human Resources Unit, carries out recruitment procedures when needed.
- Identifies training opportunities as well as providing trainings for staff, coordinating and supervising the project staff and evaluating their performance.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relations with relevant donor officers, local authorities, partners, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the project areas.
- Proactively engages with donors, international NGO and other actors participating at sectorial coordination meetings and/or working in the project locations.
- Proactively participates in protection and relevant clusters/working groups, as well as relevant inter-sectorial coordination meetings.
- Defines the operating processes required to ensure a proper management of the project (roles, procedures, decision-making, operating processes, working methodologies, etc.).
As head of base
Coordination and representation
- Represents INTERSOS towards stakeholders (municipalities, donors, organizations, Interagency) in the area
- Liaises with the coordination team and share all the relevant information
- Participates to the Country coordination meeting
- Organizes weekly coordination meeting at the base level
- In charge of the daily running of the office
Support to the support department, with the support of the coordinators
- Supervises the logistical department to ensure a smooth functioning, including procedures, fleet management, facilities…
- Supports the admin department
- Supervises the team (attendance, general management…)
- Responsible to follow up the context in the area and the security incident
- Liaises with the security officer and HoM to take appropriate measures
Other objectives and duties:
- As requested by the Head of Mission (or Programme Coordinator), for the effective implementation of the project.
Required profile and experience
- Master degree in Refugee law, International Human Rights Law, Forced Migration and Refugee Studies, International Cooperation (development/emergency context) Gender studies or other relevant to the position
- At least 5 years in humanitarian assistance and 2 years of international relief and emergency experience in senior (Field Coordination and up) positions in a multicultural environment, preferably in emergency setting
- Previous experience in the Middle East region (desirable)
- Experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts, with experience in supporting emergency responses, access and security analysis and management
- Background in protection and human rights emergency projects, especially in SGBV and Child Protection
- Ability to set high standards for quality of work and quick adaptability and flexibility in stressful environment
- Ability to manage human, technical, administrative and financial resources.
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively.
- Fluency in English, spoken and written;
- Arabic is an asset
- Perfect knowledge of all the phases of the PCM.
- Ability to work in partnership with local organizations and under stressful conditions.
- Excellent diplomacy skills
- Ability to delegate and work in team
- Flexibility (will have to take on responsibilities that might not be directly on his/her JD)
- Adaptability to changing work environment and possible volatile security situation
- Stress management skills: ability to work under pressure to meet tight deadlines, with peaks of heavy workloads;
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Self-development, initiative-taking.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills with analytic approach.
- Good computing skills
HOW TO APPLY:
For further information and to apply, follow the link below:
In case you encounter difficulties applying through INTERSOS platform, you can also apply by sending your CV and motivation letter (both in PDF version) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject line: “ SR-34-1178 – Head of Base / Protection Project Manager ”.
Please also mention the name, position and contact details of at least two references, including the line manager during your last job. Family members are to be excluded.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview.