Campaigns and Advocacy Officer
Aim of the position: Leading any international advocacy work of the Alliance, representing the Alliance in global campaigning efforts independently as well as in collaboration with allies, and supporting members and partners, (particularly in Bangladesh, Nepal, Lebanon and Jordan) in national level campaigning and advocacy activities, as well as providing support to other team members in campaigns and advocacy.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Collaborative strategising, and campaigning with members and global CSO allies working on migrants’ rights, labour rights and women’s rights
- Leading advocacy on the rights of trafficked and migrant women at international and regional levels, including UN processes and human rights mechanisms, and regional-level CSO events, and supporting advocacy efforts at national level in select countries
- Facilitating capacity enhancement and participation in advocacy processes, delivering workshops and webinars for members to share knowledge and develop joint strategies
- Writing and co-writing policy papers and positions in consultation with colleagues and members, and allies
- Supporting CSO members and partners to engage in regional and international advocacy processes
- Developing commentaries, press statements, op-eds, articles, and other advocacy-oriented communication materials
- Updating members and partners on GAATW’s advocacy activities and opportunities
- Organising and representing GAATW at public events
- Supporting GAATW-IS internal communications and strategic planning processes
Required knowledge and experience:
- Campaigning on behalf of CSOs in a social justice context, preferably with a thematic focus on women’s rights in the domestic work or garment work sector
- Advocacy processes at UN and other international and regional processes, preferably an existing network of contacts
- Human rights, women’s rights, labour and migration frameworks
- Socio-political and economic context in the project countries/sites (South, Southeast Asia and West Asia)
- In-depth knowledge and critical understanding of gender, migration, labour and human trafficking from a human rights perspective.
Competencies and personality traits:
- Superior written and oral communications skills and a high level of competence in English, with the ability to edit to an academic standard, as well as to write and edit in an accessible style
- Knowledge of other languages is an advantage
- Knowledge of the UN system is an advantage
- Linkage with relevant civil society organisations and social movements is an advantage
- Ability to analyse, integrate and/or abridge diverse information from varied sources and produce sharp reports/articles
- Ability to work strategically and respectfully with diverse stakeholders towards a key objective
- Accountability and the ability to deliver on agreed tasks to a high standard
- Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and with people from a diversity of regions, professional backgrounds and levels of authority
Contract: Full-time positions with a two-year contract.
Remuneration: Commensurate with education and experience, between 50,000 and 60,000 THB (1,650 – 2,000 USD) per month with additional benefits such as housing allowance, relocation allowance, social security, and medical fund.
Deadline for receiving applications: 10 November 2019
Shortlisted Candidates will be notified by 25 November 2019
Interviews and written exam will be conducted between 25 November and 10 December 2019
Positions to start: January/February 2020 or earlier.
How to apply:
Please send your application with the position title in the subject line by email to email@example.com by 10 November 2019. In your application, please include a CV, a writing sample, names of two referees who can be contacted at a later stage and a cover letter detailing why you are passionate this position and how you understand the challenges that migrant and trafficked women face today (in your region or the world). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.