Consultancy: Report Writer
Plan International Asia Regional Hub
Terms of Reference
A Report Writer Consultant
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. As an independent development and humanitarian organization, we work alongside children, young people, our supporters and partners to tackle the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood and enable children to prepare for and respond to crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. For over 80 years we have been building powerful partnerships for children, and we are active in over 75 countries.
Plan International Asia Hub operates in a vibrant, fast growing, and challenging region, that is home to 671 million youth, almost half (48%) of who are female (UNDESA, 2017). In many parts of the region, girls and women are undervalued and underestimated and continue to encounter gender-related restrictions and inequalities that keep them from realizing their full potential, despite efforts in the past decade to narrow the gender inequality gap. These discriminatory attitudes and practices towards girls and women significantly limit their ability to enact leadership, to define goals and to act on them.
With the aim to help “Girls Get Equal”, Plan International’s Global Strategy 2017 – 2022 presents an ambitious and complementary set of commitments to transform the lives of 100 million girls so that they can learn – so that vulnerable children have the skills they need to succeed in life and work; lead – so that vulnerable and excluded children have the power to take action on issues that matter to them; decide – so that children and young people, especially girls, have control over their own lives and bodies; and thrive – so that children and young people, especially girls, grow up cared for and free from violence and fear. Under the Global Strategy, Plan will work with men, women, boys and girls to advance the girls’ rights movement, transform attitudes and behaviours that deny girls their rights, work through local organizations, collaborate with local, regional and national private and public institutions and agencies to foster sustained transformational change to support gender equality.
To support the implementation of the strategy, Plan International Asia Hub has invested in research into girls’ leadership to gain deeper insights into key trends and issues that enable or constrain empowerment and leadership of adolescent girls and young women. The results of the research will inform Plan’s own programming and interventions, and additionally will be shared with external stakeholders and partners to inform policy, strategic decision making and as a tool to monitor change over time at the country and regional level.
The research was comprised of four main components: desk review; development of a composite index to measure the opportunities of adolescent girls and young women in to develop and demonstrate leadership capabilities; survey on adolescent girls’ and young women’s agency in selected locations; and, case studies in selected locations
III. Scope of Work
Plan International Asia Regional Hub is seeking to identify a report writer consultant to undertake reviewing, writing, editing, and compiling the above mentioned research components into a marketable external report that will serve the purpose of influencing, advocacy and awareness raising on key trends and issues that enable or constrain empowerment and leadership of adolescent girls and young women in Asia.
Key responsibilities include:
· Review and compile content generated from the desk review; development of a composite index to measure the opportunities of adolescent girls and young women to develop and demonstrate leadership capabilities; survey on adolescent girls’ and young women’s agency in selected locations; case studies in selected locations, and other relevant material.
· Develop a marketable external text report including charts and graphs, as needed
· Incorporate feedback and revisions related to content and/or language from the relevant staff
· Edit, rewrite, and restructure text for greater readability and better logical sequence.
· Support the creative design and develop ideas for graphics and charts that creatively convey key messages/data in the report as needed
· Fact check, proof read texts and complete the final content of the publication (about 50 pages)
Note: research findings and relevant materials will be provided by Plan International Asia Regional Hub.
IV. Keys Deliverables
The report writer consultant will directly report to the Regional Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (MER) Specialist and work in close collaboration with the Girls Leadership Research Working Group and Plan International Country Offices in Asia.
The following deliverables are expected from the consultant:
· A marketable external report that, at the minimum, should include:
ü Table of Contents
ü Executive Summary (synopsis of the publication)
ü Substantive Chapters (highlighting general context, regional trends and emerging issues, findings of the index, country specific case studies and key messages, etc.)
ü Conclusion (key takeaways of the publications or policy recommendations)
The content of the final report and timeframe will be finalized in a preparatory meeting between Plan International Asia Regional Hub and the successful candidate.
The main target audiences of the report are the general public, policy makers and development practitioners (including regional institutions, diplomatic missions, and donors with an interest in girls’ issues and girls’ right’) United Nations agencies, and academics.
V. Duty Station
· Home based. No travel required.
VI. Tentative timeframe and Estimated Working Days
This consultancy is expected to take up to 30 work days beginning from early November 2019. The final report is expected to be completed by the end of December 2019. The timeframe and estimated no. of work days are indicative and can be reevaluated in consultation between Plan International and the successful candidate. It is possible we will also need 5 days in late January in order to incorporate edits generated from country office review and sign-off protocols.
VII. Ethics & Child Protection
Plan International is committed to ensuring that the rights of those participating in data collection or analysis are respected and protected, in accordance with Ethical MERL Framework and our Child and Youth Safeguarding Policy. All applicants should include details in their proposal on how they will ensure ethics and child protection in the data collection process.
· Advanced university degree in communications, journalism or other related fields.
Technical Knowledge, skills and experience:
· Minimum 10 years of professional experience as a journalist or writer/editor required
· Analytic capacity and ability to integrate, process, analyze and synthesize complex, quantitative and qualitative data and technical information required
· Excellent writing and communications skills required
· Ability to quickly incorporate feedback from different individuals under tight deadlines
· Ability to manage and deliver quality deliverables on time
· Excellence in both written and spoken English
· Familiarity with youth development, women empowerment, girls’ and women’s rights in Asia highly desirable
· Strong understanding of the gendered challenges faced by girls and women in Asia desirable
· Previous engagement with and/or knowledge of Plan International’s work desirable
IX. Evaluation criteria
Candidates will be evaluated in following
Criteria / Weight
Academic qualification / 10%
Technical knowledge, skills and experience/ 50%
Sample of similar work undertaken / 20%
Financial proposal / 20%
Total 100 %
Interested applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
· A cover letter outlining experience against the required skills and experience;
· Curriculum Vitae
· Three references
· Sample of similar work undertaken including three writing sample
· Proposed daily rates (please note that the total fee is subject to 15% withholding tax according to the Thai law).
Please send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org and Chamaiporn.email@example.com referencing “A Report Writer Consultant” in the subject line and including support documents as outlined.
Application deadline is October 25, 2019 (5 PM, Bangkok time). Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted