Finance and Operations Director
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Finance and Operations Director
Pathfinder is seeking a Finance and Operations Director for the upcoming USAID-funded Inter-Community Girls’ Empowerment project in Egypt. The project will promote tolerance and understanding between different communities in Upper Egypt and Cairo, including different religious communities. Activities will focus on girls’ empowerment and may include: mentorship between girls of different communities; educational support; safe spaces for education on topics such as gender-based violence and early marriage; and leadership skills development. Volunteer-led activities will address shared community development needs through small-scale projects. This will encourage inter-community cooperation, inspire girls to take on leadership roles, and address tangible community-based priorities that can be solved at the grassroots level.
The Finance and Operations Director has primary responsibility for overall financial management and administration of the activity. S/he will be responsible for management of all accounting and sub-grants and ensure financial operations are in compliance with USAID regulations.
* Oversee the project’s management of financial functions ensuring donor/contract compliance.
* Assist COP in the successful implementation of the project, including timely preparation of high-quality budget forecasts and financial statements, and management of expenses within approved budget.
* Develop and maintain appropriate systems and cost-effective, timely procedures and controls such as cash management, vendor payments, and budgeting to properly disburse, account, budget, and report funds.
* Oversee the timely and accurate preparation and submission of regular financial statements and other cost reports to headquarters and USAID, including providing guidance to project staff and partners.
* In collaboration with Human Resources department, identify, select, manage performance of, and mentor finance and administrative staff ensuring professional growth and development as well as capacity building.
* Oversee sub-grantees/sub-contractors ensuring adherence to donor, organizational, and host country policies and build capacity of local organizations to become successful and sustainable quality service providers.
* Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and the finance team and senior management team; assess any changes necessary.
* Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to members of senior management team.
* Provide leadership and management during project start-up and close-out with regard to the project office, bank account, operations and logistics, staff administration, telecommunications etc.
* Implement administrative and financial operations of the program, ensuring compliance with agency standards and practices, local laws and donor policy and contract provisions.
* Manage funds at local bank account and approve expenditures in accordance with Pathfinder and donor procedures, cost principles, and regulations.
* Develop management policies and procedures to ensure efficiency, quality, and all resources are in place, adhered to, and in compliance with local laws, donor rules and regulations.
* Contract and manage local individuals/organizations for identified tasks according to donor and agency procedures; negotiate consultancy agreements, provide training and/or develop capacity of local partners.
* Ensure that security guidelines and procedures are established, maintained, updated regularly and adhered to by the project team. Monitor the security situation and provide leadership for staff in emergencies.
* Establish information technology systems and operational facilities to support project staff and programming.
* Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, or another relevant field.
* Eight (8) years of experience in administrative and financial management of large-scale, complex, international development assistance programs.
* Proven expertise in finance, accounting and auditing, including automated financial systems, as well as results-oriented grants management, including financial planning, monitoring of grant compliance and management and establishment of internal controls.
* Proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public and NGO sectors.
* Experience managing USAID contracts mastering USAID rules and regulations and overseeing international and local subcontractors and grantees.
* Demonstrated success managing complex, multi-million-dollar, donor-funded programs through development of cost-efficient budgeting, management of appropriate spending to support project impact, and regular monitoring of financials for programmatic revisions and accurate, timely reporting.
* Demonstrated ability in analyzing financial documents, projections, expenditures, and accruals.
* Demonstrated experience in managing and supervising a team.
* Must have outstanding interpersonal skills and be eager to work in a multicultural organization. Fluency in English required.
* Ability to translate financial concepts and to effectively collaborate with programmatic and fundraising colleagues who do not necessarily have finance backgrounds.
* Previous experience working in Egypt or Middle East/North Africa region, preference for Egyptian nationals. Strong speaking and writing skills in English; proficiency in Arabic required.
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.