Head of Base – Al Kufrah, Libya (National Position)
Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people in order to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency. The association leads in average 200 projects by year in the following sectors of intervention: food security, health, nutrition, construction and rehabilitation of infrastructures, water, sanitation, hygiene and economic recovery. PUI is providing assistance to around 7 million people in 22 countries – in Africa, Asia, Middle East, Eastern Europe and France.
PUI Libya mission started implementing operations in East of Libya (Benghazi area) in 2017 and developed an emergency health response that provides primary health care services to the most vulnerable population. PUI’s intervention focuses on health care through the deployment of Mobile Health Teams (MHT) delivering direct services to internal displaced populations and their host communities, migrants, refugees and asylum seekers. PUI Health intervention consists of general practitioners consultations, adequate treatment provision, sexual and reproductive health services, integrated management of Childhood Illness, psychosocial support interventions. In 2019, PUI Benghazi office is starting a new project called Evidence Based NCD care, a model for PHC in Libya with the objective to enhance access to Non Communicable Disease health services in the PHC level in the target area. The project includes 2 health facilities and 2,000 patients will benefit from the services.
Since 2018, PUI intends to extend its area of intervention to eastern and southern Mantikas in East of Libya to better reach out the most vulnerable. For that purpose, PUI conducted an exploratory mission in the Al Kufrah region in order to identify the specific needs of this isolated area and develop an adapted humanitarian response. Thus, PUI will soon start implementing comprehensive health related activities to ensure a continuous access to essential care. PUI’s Al Kufrah’s action will combine three levels of intervention: (1) Direct service delivery of primary health care by one MHT through an outreach approach targeting the vulnerable population, (2) At community level, PUI will deploy a network of community health workers (CHW) that will facilitate and optimize the work of the MHT through sensitisation, screening and referral activities; and (3) At health facility level via technical support. The operation will start in Autumn 2019 after a three month inception phase including capacity building of the team and installation of a PUI office, composed of a full management and health team.
The Head of Base is responsible for the proper functioning of the project site, and proper implementation of programs developed on that site.
Responsibilities and scope of duties
- Safety and Security: In collaboration with the HOM and with the support of both the Deputy HOM, Is responsible for the safety of the staff and mission assets, and also monitors humanitarian access constraints.
- Programs: Is accountable for an adequate definition and efficient implementation of the projects. Ensures the coordination between the support teams (administration and log), the program teams in order to timely and qualitatively guarantee the project’s objectives and results are reached. Preventively identifies issues, gaps and delays that may impede the correct implementation of the projects and proposes mitigation plan to the HoM.
- Human Resources: Supervises all the teams on site and is responsible for their capacity building and their development
- Logistical, administrative and financial support: Oversees the logistical, administrative and financial components of the base for the purpose of programme implementation, and ensures compliance with the relevant procedures, with substantive support from the Logistics coordinator, the Finance and Administration coordinator
- Representation: Represents PUI before the stakeholders of the area (donors, authorities, international/local NGOs).
- Coordination: S/he centralises and disseminates information from/to the site, and consolidates the internal and external reporting activities implemented in his/her field of operations before submitting them to the head of mission.
- Assessment/ Strategy/development: Participates in strategy development and proposes new interventions in function of needs identified in his/her field of operations. Actively contributes to seek funding opportunities and leads the proposal development process at base level, in close cooperation with coordination.
- Audit: Is responsible for the compliance with internal procedures of PUI, external donors’ rules, as well as the national law
Focus on 3 priority activities related to the context of the mission
- Opening of the base in Al Kufrah
- Develop PUI image and acceptance in Al Kufrah with investing time in external representation and coordination
- Support the development of PUI activities in Al Kufrah especially by ensuring the implementation of adequate security procedures
- Attractive Salary paid in EURO + other benefits (Family Health Insurance…)
- Induction trainings paid in Tunis and/or Benghazi
Job Requirements (essential)
- Master degree or equivalent in social science or humanitarian action or program management or international development – Experience in Safety Management
– 1 year experience in a similar Position
– 1 year experience in humanitarian context involving populations displacement
– 1 year Experience with institutional donors;
– 1 year Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methodologies.
– Extensive training skills and experience building national staff capacity;
– Project and team Management skills
– Team Management
– Ability to represent PUI with an efficient and proactive coordination with other actors.
– Excellent writing & communication skills
– English + Arabic: Advanced level in both oral and writing
– Pack Office: Intermediary level
– Geographic Information System: Basic level
- Address Al Kufrah - Al Jawf City
National Libyan application only
Interested candidates must submit their applications by EMAIL ONLY with the subject: AKF HoB + your FULL NAME to firstname.lastname@example.org with letter of motivation, resume, and contact (phone/email)
Applications not respecting these instructions may not be considered