HEAD OF NUTRITION AND HEALTH - AFGHANISTAN - KABUL
Created in 1979, Action contre la Faim is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency - has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices - Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy. In 2017, Action contre la Faim provided aid to 20 million people in more than 46 countries worldwide.www.actioncontrelafaim.org
Country : Afghanistan, based in Kabul
Length of Contract : 6 months, starting date as soon as possible
Context : Action Against Hunger has been operating in Afghanistan since 1979. Its very first mission, has seen a strong focus on emergency responses, targeting primarily refugees, Internally Displaced Persons, and flood/drought affected populations. Integrated projects in nutrition and health, water, sanitation and hygiene, food security and livelihoods, and in mental health and care practices are implemented in 4 provinces. Our work with local partners is essential to gain access to more geographical areas.
In 2017, 1,973 displaced persons had their access to sanitation and hygiene improved through latrines and hygiene kits, and 21,724 displaced persons benefited from cash distributions to support their immediate needs such as food, a shelter etc.
In the coming years, ACF will focus on an integrated approach to respond to and prevent humanitarian crises, address vulnerability and reinforce longer-term resilience to food, water and nutritional crises and to improve the resilience of communities.
Since 2015, the Action Against Hunger Afghanistan mission operates with fewer bases, but with an increased number of staff. 400 national staff and 13 expatriates operate on 3 bases: Kabul, Helmand and Ghor. In 2017, activities were funded by institutional donors such as GAC, ECHO, OCHA, SIDA, UNICEF and the World Bank, amounting to 13.6 million euros.
The Kabul base hosts the coordination office in charge of implementing water, sanitation and hygiene and nutrition projects aiming to reduce acute malnutrition in the Kabul Informal Settlements and in 26 health facilities. Expatriates share a guest house with moderate conveniences, an indoor sports room and a garden. A variety of restaurants and supermarkets are accessible depending on security rules and context. Movements may be restricted and a curfew strictly imposed.
Responsibilities : The Head Of Nutrition & Health Department will be responsible to define the strategies and coordinate activities of Action Contre la Faim in the fields of Nutrition and Health
The Head Of Nutrition & Health Department major tasks and responsibilities will include but not be limited to :
Design, develop and evaluate actions in the field of nutrition and health
- Collection and quality control of monitoring, follow up and evaluation data
- Production’s quality for the nutritional situation analysis
- The standard of nutritional and medical proposals submitted by his/her teams
- Encouraging his/her teams to identify new programmes
- Development of an ACF nutrition and health strategy specific to the mission
Monitor and coordinate programmes in the fields of nutrition and health
- Deciding to launch nutritional surveys in liaison with the Country Director
- Development of integrated (inter-disciplinary) approach programmes
- Collection and analysis of data, including the decisions making on this basis
- Providing activity report of quality In the given timeline
- Monitoring all the consolidated programme budgets relating to nutrition and health allocated to the country
Manage the Nutrition and Health team in capital if any and be the Technical/Support Manager of the Nutrition and Health Program Managers
- Evaluation of the technical performance and skills of Programme Managers
- Developing the technical skills of Nutrition and Health teams
Develop and launch programmes in collaboration with governmental and local agencies
- Dissemination of the ACF nutrition and health strategy at country level to partners and funding bodies
- Developing and maintaining a network of harmonious and productive relationships with national representatives and programme partners (funding bodies, other NGOs, etc)
- Establishing MoU to define the terms of various partnership
Represent Action Contre la Faim and its positioning in the field of nutrition and health
- Representing ACF in dealings with national and international authorities on matters of health and nutrition
- Making national and international authorities fully aware of the ACF positions and protocols
Implement strategy for capacity building and capitalisation
- Designing capacity building strategies based on capacities and target areas for learning in National and International staff where relevant
- Integrating capacity building and capitalisation strategies within HealthNut country strategy
Qualification and previous experience :
You hold a Master degree in Medical area (nurse, doctor, midwife, etc), Nutrition, Public Health or equivalent and have a minimum of 4 years field experience and 1 year in coordination positions with an NGO, on managing integrated health and nutrition programs. You are recognized for your experience in managing integrated health and nutrition programmes in the field in coordination and, preferably, in integration with other technical departments. You have excellent skills in nutrition and health programme management (IMAM and health) as well as in project implementation through capacity building of health facilities. You also have strong skills in the direct implementation of nutrition projects, but also in SMART. The expertise of the SQUEAC survey and experience in HSS is highly appreciated. You are able to work in a complex security environment and have excellent diplomatic, communication, team management and organizational skills. You have the ability to change priorities and do several tasks at once. Fluency in English is essential.
Why to join us ? ACF is leading actor in nutrition and health, and Afghanistan is one of the most interesting contexts for working in that sector.
Remuneration & benefits :
- Monthly gross salary from €1805 to €2305 upon experience.
- Per diem and living allowance: 383 € net - paid in the field
- + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for the non-French citizen.
- + Child allowance, limited to 5 children
Transportation and accommodation :
- Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- Individual room in guesthouse covered
Medical coverage : 100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR :
- 25 days of paid leaves per year
- 20 RnR per year
- +215€ at each RnR period (one week every 8 weeks)
- Coverage of the transportation expenses to the RnR area of reference.
Training : Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Cross knowledge ©
To apply, please visit our website :