Located in Kinshasa, DRC the UNOPS Hub in Central Africa (CDOH) covers eleven countries. The office has developed strong working relations with the international partners, UN agencies including UN Missions and Governments of Central Africa over the years. It provides technical support and capacity building in strategic development areas including infrastructure rehabilitation and development across health, education, public works, governance/public administration sectors; procurement, project management and sectoral advisory services; peace and security, environmental preservation and protection among others.
Located in Kinshasa, DRC the UNOPS Multi country Office in Central Africa covers eleven countries, including DRC. The office has developed strong working relations with the international partners, UN agencies including UN Missions and Governments across Central Africa over the years. It provides technical support and capacity building in strategic development areas including infrastructure rehabilitation and development across health, education, public works, governance/public administration sectors; procurement, project management, amongst others.In order to support the growth of its activities, the UNOPS Multi country Office in Central Africa is looking for Communication Analyst based in Kinshasa.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Partnerships Development Advisor, the communication Analyst is responsible for the following duties:
- Develop a strategic communication plan (including targeted audiences, dissemination channels, products and messages) that will assist in positioning CDOH squarely within the Central Africa development context.
- Support the communication plans of the projects when needed by drafting the strategies and giving advice for their implementation and evaluation, in collaboration with projects managers.
- Produce information materials to strengthen awareness of the work of UNOPS in the region.
- Track, research and analyse information on assigned topics/issues, gather information from diverse sources and help to assess news values and /or potential impact.
- Draft /compile specific information communications products for target audiences including press releases, speech, media packets and reports, photos, brochures, posters, briefings, interviews, video clips, newsletters, websites, etc.
- Follow up the production of communications products: procurement and printing processes.
- Collect data from beneficiaries in the field, UNOPS experts and project managers, national and international experts and other partners, to be used in communications supports.
- Organize the production and distribution of CDOH project related information materials.
- In consultation with the Partnerships Development Advisor and other relevant parties, identify and propose information opportunities, activities and approaches, taking into account the situation/topic and target audience.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of information campaigns.
- Organize or participate in the organization of conferences, seminars, press briefings, interviews, etc.
- Prepare briefing materials for CDOH senior management prior to their participation in such events.
- Respond to a variety of inquiries and information requests internally and externally, prepare related correspondence.
- Ensure effective and efficient functioning of the Partnerships Development Advisor’s office, full confidentiality in all aspects of assignment, maintenance of protocol procedures and management of information flow.
- Follow up on deadlines, commitments made, actions taken and coordination of collection and submission of the reports to the CDOH Partnerships Development Advisor.
- Draft routine correspondence, interoffice circulars, general briefing notes, documents and reports, when requested.
- Prepare spread sheets, database files, presentation slides/power points and tables ensuring appropriate style and accuracy of information.
- Prepare high quality briefing materials for the Partnerships Development Advisor for appointments, meetings, missions, etc.
- Participate actively in UN and UNOPS communication fora.
- Contribute to knowledge management and sharing with UNOPS and towards partners and beneficiaries.
- Liaise regularly with the UNOPS communications unit at headquarters.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the CDOH Partnerships Development Advisor, especially where communication interfaces with client’s relations, strategic outreach, cultivation of potential opportunities, etc.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
(Clear description of measurable outputs, milestones, key performance indicators and/or reporting requirements which will enable performance monitoring)
The incumbent will produce a range of CDOH project information materials for internal and external consumption. This includes portfolio summaries, project updates, sectors updates, district/regional updates done jointly with the relevant project officer.
- Produce project specific information materials jointly with the relevant project officer.
- Work closely with project managers to review client submissions and ensure consistent high quality of submissions and presentation.
- Participate in the inter-agency forum on UN media liaison in DRC and Hub Countries.
- Participate in the UNCG-DRC to ensure UNOPS participation in ONE UN communication strategy and activities.
- Represent UNOPS CDOH practice and policy as appropriate.
- Document UNOPS client/Partner events.
- Produce highest quality visual documentation material on UNOPS portfolio in DRC and elsewhere as required, based on availability of funds.
- Advice CDOH management on media relations especially in the context of a rapidly evolving political environment.
4. Final Product
- Communication Plan and Strategy
- By producing all the above, the incumbent will raise awareness of UNOPS activities in DRC and elsewhere.
- By consistently producing highest quality and accurate PR and project progress materials she/he will strengthen UNOPS brand name recognition and demand for UNOPS services.
- The CDOH portfolio of projects is well documented for the lay and professional audiences.
- UNOPS regional and HQ offices relate to CDOH’s work based on sound reporting and outreach.
- A Bachelor’s degree in relevant field communications, journalism or other related areas
- A Master’s degree will be an asset.
- 2 years of experience in journalism, communications or public relations, including experience at the international level.
- Working experience with UNOPS or other UN agencies is desirable.
- Field experience in a post-conflict or humanitarian context is desirable.
- Previous experience with infrastructure programmes/projects is an advantage
Full working knowledge of French and English is required
Contract type, level and duration Contract type: IICA
Contract level: I-ICA1
Contract duration: Ongoing IICA - Open-ended, subjectif to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
*It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks. *