Senior Programmes Officer
FilmAid is an international development and humanitarian communications organization that harnesses the power and influence of media and the arts to respond to emergencies as well as promote social change through dialogue in order to protect the wellbeing of displaced and vulnerable populations by building stronger, healthier, and more informed communities around the world. FilmAid has been using the power of film and media for 19 years. Its work in social behavior change communication (SBCC) spans more than 12 years. FilmAid has been working in Dadaab and Kakuma refugee camps for 18 years with a wealth of knowledge in behavior and attitudes of refugees and hosting communities concerning their health and social habits.
Position main function:
To supervise and ensure successful delivery of FilmAid Kenya’s community communications projects in Kenya.
Main Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Lead planning processes based on sound understanding of the operational and contextual realities in project implementation sites.
- Direct responsibility for execution of FilmAid programs centered on FilmAid’s theory of Social Change. The ideal candidate must be able to drive the delivery of emergency life saving information in disaster contexts, longer-term behavior modification communications, communication entrepreneurship trainings and media content production based on a sound understanding of the audiences as well as the delivery of skills development projects and programmes.
- Directly responsible for tracking indicators and reporting variances to the Senior Management.
- Participate in tracking of budget utilization.
- Maintain an effective programme reporting system. The reports should enlighten, inspire and record compliance for internal and external use, and contain data of sufficient quality to be valid for evaluation.
- Manage programmatic learning structures to ensure that success stories, best practices and challenges are reported and recommendations incorporated into programming;
- Ensures timely submission of good quality project reports, including any other reports requiring outreach inputs. The reports should enlighten, inspire and record compliance for internal and external use, and contain data of sufficient quality to be valid for evaluation;
- Lead communication between departments to facilitate quality delivery of activities and assist with the development of communications strategies to support program goals and increase community awareness.
- Provides support at the design stage of short and long term plans for programmes/projects, monitor progress, ensure adherence and evaluate performance.
- Ensure Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) are at the center of programme implementation.
- Keep track of programmatic meetings between FilmAid and UN agencies, donors, aid agencies, government stakeholder to foster positive relationships.
- Ensure standards for measuring quality of activities implemented.
- Lead in the assessing the quality of programmes on a routine basis.
- Communicate challenges, lessons learned, opportunities and best practice resulting from quality assurance activities.
- Ensures compliance of activities and methodologies to CHS, CWC and SBCC standards.
- The Senior Programmes Officer shall represent FilmAid in external meetings when called upon.
- Fulfill other functions/activities as requested by the Senior Management.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in political or social science or a development related fields.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in program implementation and coordination, preferably with an international humanitarian aid organization.
- Master’s degree in development studies and/or related fields will be an added advantage.
- High-level project coordination experience, with requisite skills in project management, developing and managing budgets, internal communications, supervising and working with partners.
- Ability to deliver quality programmatic outcomes in a time-sensitive manner.
- Experience delivering projects in multiple locations, including cross-cultural and multi-language environments.
- Experience working with the media and managing magnification events.
- Experience with principles and practice of humanitarian aid and/or development.
- Ability to meet deadlines in multiple tasking environments.
- Previous proven evidence of production of quality program and donor reports.
- Diverse and with ability to conceptualize various projects.
Skills and Competencies:
- Fluent in oral and written English is required.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise and project teams.
- Working knowledge on Social Marketing, C4D, CwC methodologies.
- Have high-level understanding of ME&L systems.
- Excellence in using Microsoft Officer products (Office 365, Excel, Word) and programme management software.
- Has lived and is willing to live and work in non-family workstations for long durations.
- Very Good reporting and presentation skills.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to submit their applications with only Cover Letter, CV and 3 references to Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 22nd October, 2019 and clearly indicate on the subject line as ‘Senior Programmes Officer’ and stating your expected remuneration for this role.
Note that applicants who send letters of references, testimonials or any other documents apart from those requested will be automatically disqualified.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
FilmAid is an Equal Opportunity Employer.