Médecins Sans Frontières Suisse MSF: Paediatric Referent - MSFeCARE Program
Context & Mission
Providing the best medical care possible in its interventions is a core responsibility for MSF. Despite continuous efforts, ensuring MSF health workers with uneven clinical background provide care that puts the patient at the centre and ensures patient safety is a real challenge, especially in remote and scattered small health facilities where delivering sufficient clinical training and supervision is difficult.
Since 2015, using digital technologies, MSF developed and deployed MSFeCARE-Ped, an electronic Decision Support System (eDSS) for paediatric primary care that guides health workers through up-to-date evidence-based protocols designed by experts, and allow them to improve their clinical assessment, diagnosis skills, and rational antibiotic prescriptions. Deployed in 7 projects, in 6 different countries, MSFeCARE-Ped was used in more than 140’000 consultations since 2017.
Initial results of MSFeCARE-Ped in the field show that eDSS bring new opportunities to support quality of care improvement through provision of i) evidence-based medical knowledge to frontline health workers, ii) attractive learning opportunities for health workers, and iii) real time data collection for use of monitoring, supervision and feedback directly to the health facility for self-improvement.
To build on these positive results, MSF today decided to launch a 3-year program aiming at building internal capacity to design and successfully roll out eDSS-based interventions to improve quality a) at a larger scale for paediatric primary care, b) in different contexts, c) for different health care levels, and d) in different medico-operational domains.
In close collaboration with the MSFeCARE Project team, the Medical Referent will be in charge of the formal scientific process to support iterative review and improvement of the clinical content of the Paediatric algorithm. This will include evidence watch, review of implementation data and users’ feedback, and coordination of an expert consensus process. The Medical Referent will also lead the development of new clinical components as per project’s validated scope extensions.
- To set up a scientific formal process for the clinical update and evolution of MSFeCARE clinical algorithms
- To manage and lead the content development, review, extensions and update
- To coordinate expert consensus (Delphi) process with MSF and external experts for content validation
- To identify and document evidence gaps and formulate research questions to address them
- To lead the peer-reviewed paper publication on clinical content development and validation method
- To develop capitalization reports and communication tools on clinical content, and new versions release
Support to field implementation:
- To collaborate with the implementation team to develop & review training strategy, material
- To support field teams and flying implementers in collaboration with the implementation team
- Medical Doctor degree, with specialisation in Paediatrics or at least 2 years clinical hospital paediatric experience is mandatory
- Public / International / Epidemiological health degree is an asset
- Field and/or HQ experience with MSF (preferably) or humanitarian medical organisation
- Knowledge of recent developments in the field of humanitarian relief, international public health and paediatrics primary care
- Experience in Primary Care is an asset
- Experience with field research in resource poor settings or with medical evidence synthesis and expert consensus processes (Delphi) is an asset
Skills/ Technical competencies
- Ability to analyse medical and structural issues
- Excellent overall understanding of Evidence-Based Medicine concepts
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Ability to conduct relevant data analysis
- Fluent in both French and English
- Outstanding analysis and synthesis skills
- Flexibility,autonomy and good organisational skills
- Team player
- Results, innovation and quality oriented
- Problem solving and service oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills, team spirit, networking and communication skills
- Able to travel
- Committed to MSF Values
Terms of Employment
- Fixed-term contract (24 months), full-time position
- Location to be determined during the interview, based in Geneva, Dakar, Paris or Barcelona
- Ideal starting date: 1st November 2019
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in English or French. Closing date for application is 27th October 2019.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.