Médecins Sans Frontières Suisse MSF: IT Lead - MSFeCARE Program
Providing the best medical care possible in its intervention contexts is a core responsibility for MSF. Despite continuous efforts, ensuring MSF health workers with uneven clinical background provide care that puts the patient at the centre and ensures patient safety is a real challenge, especially in remote and scattered small health facilities where delivering sufficient clinical training and supervision is difficult.
Since 2015, using digital technologies, MSF developed and deployed MSFeCARE-Ped, an electronic Decision Support System (eDSS) for paediatric primary care that guides health workers through up-to-date evidence-based protocols designed by experts, and allow them to improve their clinical assessment, diagnosis skills, and rational antibiotic prescriptions. Deployed in 6 projects, in 6 different countries, MSFeCARE-Ped was used in more than 120’000 consultations since 2017.
Initial results of MSFeCARE-Ped in the field show that eDSS bring new opportunities to support quality of care improvement through provision of i) evidence-based medical knowledge to frontline health workers, ii) attractive learning opportunities for health workers, and iii) real time data collection for use of monitoring, supervision and feedback directly to the health facility for self-improvement.
To build on these positive results, MSF today decided to launch a 3-year program aiming at building internal capacity to design and successfully roll out eDSS-based interventions to improve quality a) at a larger scale for paediatric primary care, b) in different contexts, c) for different health care levels, and d) in different medico-operational domains
This program has a strong transformational dimension for the whole MSF movement and beyond. It will reinforce our partnerships with external experts, to leverage and share the lessons learned on successful eDSS tools and interventions with the humanitarian and the global health community.
In order to reach these objectives, the MSFeCARE program will:
- Strengthen MSFeCARE-Ped tools and intervention to support sustainable scale up
- Select/Design new eDSS and eDSS-based interventions
- Roll out and monitor eDSS-based interventions
- Ensure eDSS use enhance continuous (medical) education/learning process, directly supported by the eDSS tool and data, and through additional training material
- Ensure appropriate and sustainable software solutions are used
The IT Lead for MSFeCARE will be responsible for the general execution of the IT stream of the MSFeCARE program
He/She will manage and lead the design and implementation of the sustainable IT back-end support. He/She will propose IT solutions and ensure they are interoperable with existing IT solutions, adhering to high quality standards, and meeting the internal customer expectations. He will then ensure the solutions are delivered on time and within budget.
- Lead the MSFeCARE program IT stream through the entire cycle, under the responsibility of the Program manager.
Business analysis: Maintain a technology watch, in coordination with the MSFeCARE Business team. Manage expectations.Suppliers:
Prepare and coordinate the sourcing (RFI, RFP, contracting and transition) and support the selection of the best services provider(s).
Manage relationships with the suppliers
Validation of delivery Project management
Define IT stream plan and teamwork assignment, direct and monitor work efforts on a daily basis, identify resource needs, performing quality review. Escalate functional, quality, timeline issues appropriately.
Track key project milestones and adjust project plans and/or resources to meet the needs of customers.
Report to and align with the MSFeCARE Program Manager.
Lead the MSFeCARE IT team (support, business analyst, architect) Documentation & Communication:
Deliver IT stream documentation and formal reporting.
Ensure coherence and good cooperation within the project team Support & Maintenance:
Put in place quality assurance, release management and user support organization and governance structures.
Propose change requests as needed. Stakeholder management
Create and maintain productive relationships with relevant technology functions / IT departments in other OC´s
Provide feedback to the field, operations and relevant stakeholders
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in computer science, information systems, engineering or related field.
- Project management certification (PMP, Prince2, Hermes, Scrum) or recognized project management curriculum
- Min 5 years of work experience in software development domain
- Experience as IT project manager, leading mobile applications’ development, deployment and maintenance
- Experience with multiple technologies in various functions (developer, business analyst, technical lead, project manager).
- Experience in an international environment
- Experience in medical technologies, medical digital transformations
- Business Intelligence experience is a plus
Skills/ Technical competencies
- Excellent overall understanding of IT matter (architecture, tailor-made and off-the-shelf business and IT solutions, IT organization, technologies).
- Mobile development and mobile device management
- Business intelligence – Power BI a plus
- Outstanding analysis and synthesis skills
- Fluent in English
- Spanish and French be an asset
- Capacity to lead project team members and convince senior management stakeholders in a matrix organisation
- Outstanding capacity to deliver
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strongly customer-oriented
- Quality and result-oriented
- Autonomous and very well organized
- Flexible, pro-active, excellent team player
- Committed to MSF values
Terms of Employment
- Fixed-term contract (36 months), full-time position
- Based in Barcelona
- Ideal starting date: 1st November 2019
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in English or French. Closing date for application is 20th October 2019.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.