Deputy Country Director - Sudan
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps (MC) is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
MC Sudan's head office is located in Khartoum with programs in South Darfur and South Kordofan states. MC is currently implementing a strategy that has an overarching goal of building resilience of communities in Sudan, utilizing both early recovery and humanitarian approaches. The country team's overall goal is underpinned by four key objectives: strengthened economic opportunities through market orientated programs, enhanced access to safe drinking water and improved hygiene practices, reduced levels of conflict between diverse communities, and strengthened institutional capacity for local government, civil society and the private sector. MC has adopted an integrated approach to achieving all four objectives and will prioritize the expansion of programming into three additional thematic areas that cut across all four objectives. Thematic areas are: youth led programming that will prioritize increased participation of youth in program design and implementation while enhancing their long-term employment prospects; increased engagement with the private sector; and a stronger focus on development programming in areas of IDP returns and refugee influx.
General Position Summary
The Deputy Country Director (DCD) will be a solution holder and proven negotiator able to appropriately manage and enhance essential relationships with key external stakeholders, including with donors and host Government representatives. The DCD will work closely with the Country Director (CD) to drive forward the 2018-2022 Sudan strategy which seeks to develop new and innovative programming and build a range of diverse partnerships with national and international actors.
The DCD will provide the overall leadership and management necessary for the effective implementation and timely delivery of all MC programs in Sudan. The DCD will provide management oversight, support and mentoring to the Heads of Office (HOO) in two states responsible for each respective component of the overall MC program in Sudan. The DCD will work closely with each HOO to ensure each component of MC's programs are implemented to the highest standards possible with strong community engagement, within the agreed project timeframe and to the approved budget.
The DCD will also support all Human Resources staff to ensure that capacity building, onboarding and team building are prioritized within the country team, and supervise staff supporting new program development, reporting and communications. Additionally, the DCD will provide a key link to headquarters technical support teams.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- In partnership with the Country Director, set the direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development;
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed;
- Work collaboratively to build a range of mutually beneficial partnerships with other stakeholders both national and international;
- Identify suitable opportunities to develop new and innovative programming and to secure the necessary funding to drive this forward.
- Ensure the continued maintenance of a positive and open working relationship with host Government representatives at both the State and Federal level;
- Develop and implement a strategy to promote local NGO partnerships and develop a framework for national partner identification and selection and subsequent support, mentoring and oversight;
LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
- Provide leadership and management oversight for MC programming portfolio in Sudan;
- Be a significant participant in the UN/SHF (Sudan Humanitarian Fund) proposal process and ensure full coordination and communication across the sectors;
- Provide supervision, support and mentoring to MC Heads of Office responsible for the individual components of the MC program and to ensure that all program activities are being implemented as per the agreed work schedule;
- Work closely with the Finance Manager (FM) and Heads of Offices to review monthly budget versus actual financial management information to ensure that all program expenditure is on track and does not exceed approved budget variance limits;
- Work to further enhance the MC Program Monitoring Framework and ensure that all essential program and organizational metrics are being adequately captured;
- Ensure that all donor reports are submitted on time and to the highest possible standard;
- Maintain effective monitoring and reporting in conformity with country M&E systems;
- Foster a collaborative team atmosphere which engages and supports all team members;
- Work closely with Heads of Offices, senior management field staff and Program Development and Reporting Officer to identify new program opportunities, and develop concept notes to share with potential donors;
- Proactively seek potential funding sources among traditional as well as non-traditional donors, in line with MC's overall strategy in Sudan;
- Tie in programming into larger strategic direction of the country team and agency through support for annual planning efforts;
- Assist in Management Plan preparation in accordance with program goal and objectives.
- Assist in program quality and development;
Representation & Coordination
- Represent MC to the community, the local government, INGO/UN agencies and organize field visits as required;
- Ensure MC's programs foster ongoing positive cooperation with all stakeholders in coordination with the Program Team;
- Ensure proactive and partnership approach in relationship management;
- Efficient and timely communication/information exchange is vital for making effective operational decisions;
Influence & Representation
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with consortium partners, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders;
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met;
- Liaise with HQ Human Resources team to link Country team to global HR support structure;
- Work with HR officers and program managers to conduct effective onboarding, teambuilding initiatives, and strengthen the overall capacity in the Country team;
- Deputize for the CD, as required;
- Other duties as reasonably requested.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Reports Directly To: CD
Works Directly With: Head of Offices, Senior Leadership Team, Communications and Reporting Officer, Human Resources Officers
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent in development management or related fields required,
- 8-10 years experience in international relief and development in Africa, preferably in Sudan
- Experience and understanding Food Security and Livelihoods concepts, WASH and Sphere standards
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation and report writing, and being involved in M&E
- History of working effectively and respectfully with host country government, INGO and NGO partners
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex programming and volatile environment.
- Fluency in English written and oral communication required. Arabic preferred.
This position requires someone with the ability to effectively carry out duties as outlined in the position description. One should be willing to learn and work in accordance with Mercy Corps policy. The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to multitask, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities if necessary. A high professional standard of activity implementation, strong interpersonal and intellectual skills are necessary.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is accompanied. It will be based in Khartoum, Sudan. Accommodation is provided.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Diversity is powerful. To achieve transformational change, we seek out team members with different origins, beliefs, backgrounds and ways of thinking. Diversity helps us unlock complexity.