Médecins Sans Frontières Suisse MSF: Field implementation Lead - MSFeCARE Program
Context & Mission
Context: Providing the best medical care possible in its interventions is a core responsibility for MSF. Despite continuous efforts, ensuring MSF health workers with uneven clinical background provide care that puts the patient at the centre and ensures patient safety is a real challenge, especially in remote and scattered small health facilities where delivering sufficient clinical training and supervision is difficult.
Since 2015, using digital technologies, MSF developed and deployed MSFeCARE-Ped, an electronic Decision Support System (eDSS) for paediatric primary care that guides health workers through up-to-date evidence-based protocols designed by experts, and allow them to improve their clinical assessment, diagnosis skills, and rational antibiotic prescriptions. Deployed in 7 projects, in 6 different countries, MSFeCARE-Ped was used in more than 140’000 consultations since 2017
Initial results of MSFeCARE-Ped in the field show that eDSS bring new opportunities to support quality of care improvement through provision of i) evidence-based medical knowledge to frontline health workers, ii) attractive learning opportunities for health workers, and iii) real time data collection for use of monitoring, supervision and feedback directly to the health facility for self-improvement.
To build on these positive results, MSF today decided to launch a 3-year program aiming at building internal capacity to design and successfully roll out eDSS-based interventions to improve quality a) at a larger scale for paediatric primary care, b) in different contexts, c) for different health care levels, and d) in different medico-operational domains
In close collaboration with the MSFeCARE Project team, the Implementation Lead will be in charge of coordinating and supporting the implementation of MSFeCARE-Ped in the field for different Operational Centres. This will include the management and planning and coordination of field visits of the Flying implementers, the review of training tools and strategy in collaboration with MSF L&D programs, and the development of an implementation toolkit which would include M&E methodology. The Implementation Lead will also lead the development of standard methodology for the field implementation and evaluation of new eDSS beyond MSFeCARE-Ped.
- To coordinate priorities discussions & implementation plans with Ops Department of participating OCs
- To support each candidate mission to plan deployment, incl. management of Flying implementers (MIO)
- To lead the development of an implementation package to foster Missions’ autonomy
Monitoring & Evaluation
- To lead the development of M&E strategy and tools and support tools adaptation for each mission
- To review data management needs and protocols, and collaborate with eDSS lead and Med referent and IT on building new analyses and visualization tools
- To support Operational Research agenda, priority setting, and field activities
- To develop partnerships with L&D units/projects
- To coordinate the development of L&D strategy & tools in collaboration with L&D units and intersection programs, the MSFeCARE eDSS lead and Medical referent.
- To develop capitalization reports from field implementation
- Provide feedback to the field, operations and relevant stakeholders
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Public Health or Management or related field
- Public Health / International / Epidemiological health degree is an asset
- Field and/or HQ experience with MSF (strongly preferred) or humanitarian medical organisation
- Knowledge of recent developments in the field of humanitarian relief, international public health and paediatrics primary care
- Multidisciplinary and distributed team management for at least 3 years
Skills/ Technical competencies
- Team Management and coordination
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Strong capacity to manage expectations and convince senior management and stakeholders in a matrix organization
- Fluent in both French and English
- Excellent team player/team leader
- Outstanding analysis and synthesis skills
- Flexibility, autonomy and good organisational skills
- Results, innovation and quality oriented
- Problem solving and service oriented
- Strong interpersonal skills, team spirit, networking and communication skills
- Able to travel
- Autonomous and very well organized
- Strongly customer oriented
- Outstanding capacity to deliver
- Committed to MSF Values
Terms of Employment
- Fixed-term contract (36 months), full-time position
- Based in Geneva, with frequent travels to the field
- Ideal starting date: 1st December 2019
- Gross annual salary: from CHF 98’016.- to CHF 111'730. (salary commensurate with experience and according to internal salary grid)
Candidates submit their application following the requirements: CV 2 p. max. – letter of motivation 1p. max. – in English or French. Closing date for application is 27th October 2019.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.