Deputy Head of the Emergency Response Team
ABOUT THE PRGANIZATION:
Action Against Hunger is an international non-governmental, private, apolitical, non-religious and non-profit organization created in 1979. Its goal is to combat hunger and dangerous situations that threaten men, women and children. Currently 500 expats and more than 5,000 employees are working for Action Against Hunger in more than forty-six countries working in projects concerning four areas of focus: Nutrition & Health, Food Security & Livelihoods, Water Sanitation & Hygiene and Emergency Response.
DEPARTMENT GENERAL OBJECTIVES
- Improve access in conflict-affected countries to allow adequate provision of services to beneficiaries through proper management and risk control.
- Provide effective interventions, fostering adaptation to local context and in line with the international strategy.
- Long-lasting and effective solutions to the fight against hunger.
EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM:
- Emergency response in slow and rapid onset situations.
- Support the design of Emergency response proposals for national, international, public and private donors.
- Disaster Preparedness (design and implementation of preparedness & response plans).
- Analysis and search of interventions in new countries and contexts.
- Tool and technical development and training for Emergency response.
- Technical support to country offices according to specific and ad-hoc Terms of Reference.
GENERAL POSITION OBJECTIVE
Reporting to the Head of Emergency Pool, to the Operations Director, to the Country Director, and to the Geographical Desk, the Deputy Head of the Emergency Response Team will be seconding the Head of Emergency Pool, supporting in strategic definition of the yearly objectives and with direct leadership in coordinating the Flying Emergency Coordinator profiles, insuring coherence within department’s priorities and directions.
He/She will be available for deployments to the missions and fill-in a specific top-managerial positions within missions’ organigram or act as Country Director, Deputy CD or Emergency Coordinator, being responsible for the quality and effectiveness of Acción Contra el Hambre’s programs within deployment missions.
In case of Emergency response, the expert will assist the (or act as) Country Director in the overall management of Acción Contra El Hambre’s emergency response program within the mission, including programming, operations, security, and stakeholder relations.
Responsible and accountable for developing, coordinating and managing all emergency response activities. Responsible for managing Acción Contra El Hambre mission’s emergency donor portfolio and budgets as well as emergency response staff development.
In case of Gap Filling, the expert will need to quickly cover a key emergency-related vacant position – upon specific job description – and ensure that key action points are managed until longer term profile has been identified.
When based in Madrid, the expert will be leading the participation of the Emergency pool within Operations Department’s transversal issues, participating to the lessons learnt exercises and capitalization documents and providing expertise and contributions with a field point of view.
SPECIFIC POSITION OBJECTIVES
- Support the implementation of the Emergency Pool Action Plan and act as coordinator of the Flying Emergency Coordinators.
- Deputize the Head of the Emergency during his/her absence as needed.
- Assessment, Program Design, Planning and Emergency Project Management and Implementation.
- Gap Filling for Operation Positions in the missions and Strategic Support to the missions.
- Project management.
- General Management and Leadership at mission level.
- Program Support Service management: Human Resources, Security Management, Financial Management and Planning.
Lessons Learnt and Emergency pool/Operations’ tools development and integration.
Technical knowledge preferably related to the field of humanitarian or management fields.
High level knowledge in managing multi-million-dollar budgets.
Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, including the Core Humanitarian Standard (CHS), Sphere Standard, the World Humanitarian Summit’s commitments, the humanitarian system, the humanitarian reform, the 2030 Agenda, donors, security, civil military liaison and program management.
- Knowledge and experience in representation and negotiation with governments and donors. Experience working with local authorities and partners. Inter-agency coordination, representation and negotiation with state and non-state actors.
- Knowledge and experience in the preparation of project proposals, budgets and reports to donors and other stakeholders.
- Minimum of 5 years previous experience in similar field-based positions. A combination of field and HQ posts is acceptable.
- Experience in in Emergency Response, in volatile environments and with tight security constraints, and in Field Operations and Top-level Management (Country Director level).
- Experience in complex decision making, leading a multi-disciplinary, multinational team under difficult circumstances, HR management and conflict resolution.
- Desirable knowledge and experience in Acción Contra El Hambre procedures.
- Languages: Spanish, English and French. Arabic is an asset.
Mobility: Ideally 50%/50% field to HQ ratio but could go up to 70% time in the field according to needs. Deployments of 2 to 3 months’ length, 24h notice in case of sudden emergencies, according to prioritization set up by the emergency pool; breaks according to Emergency Pool policy.
Incorporation in a multicultural, professional and innovative organization and the opportunity to participate in projects of high social impact.
Professional career adapted to the candidate where talent and motivation are recognized.
Continuous training on technical abilities and soft competencies.
- Contract: 2 years.
- Competitive salary.
- Meal vouchers.
- Access to flexible compensation plans (medical insurance, transportation, kindergarten vouchers).
- Conciliation between personal and work life, with flexible schedules, intensive working, working from home.
- 25 working days of paid leave per year.
We will only consider the candidacies received by our online service. Please click in the following link to accede to the service:
Note. Given the urgency of this position, the vacancy may close before the deadline. For more information about this position, visit our Website www.accioncontraelhambre.org in case of not find it published here means that the selection process has been closed.