Project Support Officer
Position Title : Project Support Officer
Duty Station : Bangkok, Thailand
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 20 October 2019
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The IOM Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific (ROAP) in Bangkok, Thailand provides guidance and technical expertise to IOM Country Offices in the Asia Pacific Region aspiring to expand their Immigration and Border Management (IBM) programming and to respective governmental counterparts to aspiring to improve their migration and border management systems, processes and capacities.
The Document Examination Support Center (DESC) Initiative is coordinated by the IBM unit, with the financial support of the Government of Canada and in close collaboration with document examination experts of immigration authorities in Asia and the Pacific. In coordination with IOM’s Country Offices, and in synergy with related projects, the DESC unit provides technical support in travel document examination and verification to immigration and border control officials in countries in the Asia and Pacific Region. The DESC Initiative’s activities are aimed at supporting governments to address irregular migration, including smuggling of migrants, human trafficking and other forms of transnational organized crime within the context of regional trends on passport and identity frauds. Moreover, consolidated as part of the DESC Initiative, the ANDEX (Asian Network for Document Examination) was formally established as the regional information-sharing platform for document examination and verification experts of the DESC countries.
The DESC unit also provides the document examination experts and immigration authorities in the region with a wide range of capacity support, which includes delivering training on various IBM topics, including passport examination procedures, providing ad hoc travel document verification within the Asian Network for Document Examination (ANDEX), developing secondary level document verification software, supporting the development of regional trends of identity and passports frauds, as well as networking document examination experts from various immigration authorities in the region.
Under the overall guidance of the Senior Regional Immigration and Border Management Specialist for Asia and the Pacific based in Bangkok, and the direct supervision of the Regional Border and Identity Solutions Officer, the successful candidate will provide technical support to the implementation of the DESC Phase IV and other activities of the ROAP IBM Unit.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Support in the implementation of the DESC initiative activities. With a focus on research, collection, and analysis of information on usage of travel documents and cases of questioned travel documents, from available sources, including DESC, IOM Country Offices of the Asia and Pacific region and relevant Government authorities.
Assist in the development of operational tools to improve data collection, data management, and data protection and privacy including information sharing in line with activities of the DESC initiative.
Support general project implementation under the DESC initiative, including evaluation and monitoring, reporting and procurement.
Support in coordinating with participating countries’ immigration authorities, IOM country offices, and organizations to support the implementation of DESC IV activities.
Assist in the timely development and implementation of capacity needs assessments, training modules and monitoring and evaluation tools, as required by the DESC initiative and based on priorities identified by the ROAP IBM Unit.
Support the development of concept papers, presentations, training materials and reports by researching on thematic topics based on capacity needs identified in coordination with the Regional Thematic Specialist for Immigration and Border Management.
Provide support in preparing regular reports and communications/visibility materials for the DESC initiative and IBM unit.
Contribute to administrative, financial and logistical tasks of the IBM unit including planning and preparation of ANDEX annual meetings.
Undertake duty travel and perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Perform such other duties as maybe assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in in Political or Social Sciences, Law, Business Administration or a related field from an accredited academic institution; or
• University degree in the above fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
• Ability and experience in conducting researches, collecting and analyzing data on Migration and IBM topics, as well as database management;
• Experience working with international organizations, non-governmental or government agencies preferred.
• Advanced knowledge and skills in the use of Microsoft Office (Excel and Power Point).
• Skills in Power BI, Adobe Acrobat and Photoshop are advantageous;
• Strong sense of honesty and principles, and commitment to IOM’s work in general and IBM’s services/products.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of languages relevant to the Asia Pacific Region is an advantage.
1 Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database
Values - all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
• Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
• Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
• Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
• Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
• Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
• Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
• Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators
• Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
• Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
• Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
IOM’s competency framework can be found at this link. https://www.iom.int/sites/default/files/about-iom/iom_revised_competency_framework_external.pdf
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible. The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
The appointment is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 20 October 2019 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment
From 07.10.2019 to 20.10.2019
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: CFA 2019/60 – Project Support Officer - Bangkok, Thailand (56176766) Released
Posting: Posting NC56176796 (56176796) Released