Senior Director of Programs and Strategic Initiatives
The Senior Director of Programs and Strategic Initiatives is responsible for promoting the technical excellence and innovative quality of ROLI’s programmatic work and grant/contract proposals; developing synergies between ROLI programs across the globe; identify emerging issues, global trends, and substantive areas relevant to ROLI’s engagement; sharing best practices in rule of law programming with ROLI staff, and developing sustainable structures and systems to support the strategic growth of ROLI, excellence in program management, and knowledge management. The Senior Director is a part of the senior management team that develops and drives the overall strategy for the organization and will have a key role in helping ensure that ROLI maintains its preeminent position among rule of law implementers.
Program Leadership and Strategy:
● In coordination with the ROLI Director and Chief Operating Officer, participate in establishing ROLI’s goals and objectives including business and financial.
● Enhance and implement organizational vision and supporting objectives as established in ABA ROLI’s strategic plan to ensure excellence in implementing programs.
● Translate overall organization’s objectives into goals and priorities of regional offices, working with regional teams to define expectations and responsibilities.
● Define ROLI’s common programmatic and technical activities and trends; help coordinate those common aspects of the regions’ program activities.
● Pursue innovation in rule of law programming that reflects global trends and disseminate the information to the regional offices.
● Serve as a leader to manage a central programmatic capability to supplement the regions’ capability and foster sharing learnings that can benefit all the regions, ensuring integration of best practices across country programs.
● Promote the use, updating, and dissemination of existing ABA ROLI Rule of Law tools (such as Assessment Tools, indices), and the development of new ones.
● Provide leadership in developing inter-team communication and cohesiveness, sustaining culture and supporting staff during organizational growth.
● Serve as an advisor to Regional Divisions and country programs, particularly around complex programs and business development.
● Oversee and ensure the successful delivery of ABA ROLI’s programs with multiple USG and foreign government donors in countries overseas, and contribute to ROLI’s efforts to comply with ROLI donor requirements across ROLI programs.
● Attract, develop, coach, and retain high-performance team members, empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility and performance.
● Facilitate training and developmental opportunities for regional teams and serve in mentoring role for direct reports and other staff.
New Business Development:
● Collaborate with Regional Teams to identify business development goals, opportunities and priorities, and facilitate access to resources for successful pursuit of new business. Support bid development, including assembling and supporting proposal teams and contributing to proposals, particularly those for new donors or that are large in scale and/or multi-regional.
● Expand and grow ROLI’s funding levels by identifying business opportunities covering ROLI’s current substantive areas of expertise (e.g., access to justice; anti-corruption; etc.), as well as new areas for programming.
● Lead proposal sessions and refine proposal approach and strategy for priority proposals, as needed. Take a leading role in managing and/or writing priority, large scale and multi-regional proposals to ensure consistency and excellence.
● Represent the organization externally and within the larger ABA as a member of ABA ROLI leadership.
● Provide thought leadership for the organization. Ensure opportunities are seized to promote the ABA ROLI brand as a thought leader.
● Champion the organization-wide knowledge sharing and systemic learning so that pertinent information and experiences are shared internally, and as appropriate, externally with clients, partners, and stakeholders;
● Work with Regional Divisions in DC and the field to identify, analyze, package, steward, and disseminate the knowledge that ABA ROLI employs to improve program effectiveness and efficiency;
● Systematically assess ROLI’s existing internal systems and recommend systems, processes, and tools to better support the facilitation, collection, and sharing of knowledge that is generated by the programs, including sharing best practices and lessons learned across the organization and creating programmatic toolkits;
● Manage and communicate priorities identified to executive management for decisions on resource allocation;
● Develop a dissemination system to share organizational learning with relevant stakeholders; and
● Work collaboratively with the senior leadership team to integrate cross-program activities and functions.
● Represent ABA ROLI at all levels with new and potential donors, partners, and beneficiaries.
● Maintain and enhance existing relationships with donors, partner organizations and sub-awardees.
● Coordinate a stronger effort to reach into the ABA’s membership base to help mobilize the legal expertise available to support ROLI’s programmatic efforts.
Required Education, Qualifications, Experience
-Master’s Degree in international development or related field.
-At least 15 years of international development experience, including at least 3-5 years other than in the USA and 10 years of management experience.
-Demonstrated leadership record and sound judgement in complex environments.
-Experience developing and operationalizing strategies that have taken a program or organization to the next stage of growth.
-Experience leading programmatic initiatives in a hands-on way, including managing budgets and achieving strategic objectives.
-Track record of effectively leading a competitive, performance and outcome-based portfolio and delivering quality programs.
-Extensive experience recruiting, managing, and developing a strong team of staff, program/project managers, and development professionals.
Preferred Education, Qualifications, Experience
-Possession of a Juris Doctor from an ABA-accredited law school or equivalent foreign degree.
-Experience in managing rule of law programs.
-Previous field experience as Chief of Party, Country Director, or equivalent
Please submit your CVs here: https://usr56.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/aba/Posting/View/695