Emergency & Strategic Projects Coordinator
Emergency & Strategic Projects Coordinator
Rwanda | Full Time | October 2019 | Initial 3 months with possible extension
Hello Hello! So you’re interested in joining us? Welcome, we’re happy you’re here.
When you Join Alight, you’ll find…
A team with deep experience in co-designing solutions that create new value around the world. We know we need to always be better, and we believe in the power and abundance of everyday people, everywhere, to change the world with us.
A culture of radical accountability to our customers –as we help build a meaningful life for and with the displaced, we ask them what they want and then deliver on it.
An organization that refuses to settle for anything less than delivering human-worthy services.
If you believe in an abundant world full of amazing people who want to help; in the simple human justice to build a life; and in doing a better thing, then read on!
Based in Rwanda, you’ll support the country program, technical, and operations staff in achieving our goals. You’ll be guided by and receive support from the Rwanda Country Director. You’ll flex with the changing needs of both emergency and strategic interests projects and are open to changing base location to various locations within the country depending on program priorities and emerging needs.
Simply put, your initial purpose will be to arrive, quickly settle in and provide overall leadership for Alight’s new programming in the Gashora Emergency Transit Mechanism (ETM) centre, established and set to host some 500 asylum seekers and immigrants recently drawn from Libya. You will also be tasked with design, planning for, and management and coordination of the country programs targeted or strategic investments and efforts; existing and emerging.
We are striving to do a better thing. You will infuse this mantra and belief in your day to day and as your help those around you (staff, donors, customers, and beyond) to imagine and bring to fruition programs that are deeply human-centered and not at all status quo.
Background and the Team
Since 1994, Alight has worked with its partners and constituencies to provide opportunities and expertise to refugees, displaced people and host communities – to better survive conflicts and crisis, and to rebuild lives of dignity, health, security and self-sufficiency. In Rwanda today we have a strong and committed team of over eight hundred personnel who include full time staff and incentive workers, and hundreds of community volunteers; with our work covering all the refugee locations and their kind Rwandan-host communities. We have built a team that can act quickly in emergencies and for strategic initiatives – and who also think creatively, act compassionately, and constantly strive to be simply better.
Currently, our team in Rwanda is quickly staffing up for the ETM centre and taking thoughtful steps as we build a response that is in tune with, and empathetic toward those we serve; to create a safe haven and support the emotional, psychological, and physical needs of the valuable persons put in front of us. We are also looking up to you to provide focused leadership for our other strategic interests and plans to deliver human worthy investments, deepen our work and, jointly with our partners, offer lasting impact with and for the communities we serve.
Your Day to Day
Leading dynamic projects means your work will evolve as well. For now, here’s how you could anticipate spending your time:
Take ownership for ETM and other strategic projects while working closely with staff and partner counterparts who are responsible for the day-to-day management of respective program interventions.
- Lead the development of clear objectives and achievement benchmarks for all program activities.
- Compile an overall program workplan and ensure that ARC/Alight components evolve according to agreed schedules and resources.
- Closely monitor program implementation and budget utilization and ensure that program and spending targets are met, working with program team on monthly spending plans based on budget vs. actual analyses.
- Monitor compliance with donor regulations and ARC/Alight policies, in the course of program implementation and build capacity of staff and partners in this area as needed.
- Ensure regular communication between ARC/Alight, partners and the technical support units, Ensure timely production of high-quality reports.
- Closely monitor security and safety situation and in direct coordination with focal staff for Security develop and maintain standard operating procedures and protocols
Work closely with country leadership, program, and partners to expand and diversify our activities in Rwanda through strategic, innovative and quality program development.
- Provide support in strategic program design and in shaping Alight’s direction with the ETM and overall country program.
- Lead the development of quality program and cost proposals, ensuring donor and Alight requirements are fully met.
- Ensure high quality representation of ARC/Alight in meetings with other INGOs, donors, Government agencies, and other interagency groups.
- Play a leadership role in developing collaborative relationships with other organizations.
- Contribute to production of communication opportunities and tools to increase visibility of ARC/Alight and partners among donors, government counterparts, partner organizations, HQ and other audiences as appropriate.
- Oversee ARC’s/Alight’s ETM portfolio and mobilize necessary support for them in coordination with program support departments.
- Supervise any ETM program staff directly reporting to the position and ensure performance management tools and process are implemented.
- Support the recruitment of new ETM program staff as and when required.
- Ensure appropriate administrative, and logistical systems and procedures are in place, maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
- Liaise heavily with Country Operations staff, keeping them abreast of current and upcoming needs.
- A minimum of Masters degree in Project management, Strategic planning, Development Studies, Social Sciences, International Relations or closely aligned field
- 8+ years of overseas experience, in programs in complex emergency or post-conflict settings
- Demonstrated management and supervisory responsibilities in program administration at senior management level
- Clear experience directly providing senior leadership for varied strategic projects and assignments in international aid and development space.
- Sector specific exposure in Protection, Peacebuilding, Community engagement, Non-formal Education, with great skills in integrated multi-sector programming.
- Strong communications skills in English, and preferably any of these other languages: Tigrinya or Arabic
- Good analytical, budgeting and resource management skills
- Experience coordinating with varied supporters and agencies including BPRM, USAID and the UN; also I/NGOs and government agencies.
Qualities we’re seeking…
- Humility. You learn from others with an open heart and open mind.
- Inclusivity. Our diversity is our strength. You value diversity of opinion and thought. You invite all voices to the table regardless of background.
- Empathy. You know how to really hear other people and understand their meaning.
- Flexibility. We’re constantly designing and iterating. You’ll be working in ambiguity always – embrace it and see the possibility that it allows. The ability to roll with it will make that easier.
- Creativity. You have the ability to apply sound judgment and innovative ideas to meet challenges presented.
- Willingness to travel and live in remote and security difficult situations or transitory locations on short term basis and notice
Borderless Team of 2,500 staff worldwide that sees possibility, celebrates moments of abundance, shares new ideas, and strives to do a better thing every day.
Learning & Development – Access thousands of free online learning courses to take at your own pace and tailor to your professional goals.
We are on a journey to build Alight, a new platform of amazing people and organizations providing lifesaving services and creating breakthrough solutions for and with the displaced. WeAreAlight.org
Alight is an Equal Opportunity Employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or protected veteran status. Alight complies with all applicable laws governing nondiscrimination in employment.