Municipal Governance Advisor, USAID Resilient Governance in Niger
IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extending access to quality education and information. Founded in 1968, IREX has an annual portfolio of over $90 million, offices in 20 countries, and a global staff of 400. We work in more than 100 countries worldwide.
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Municipal Governance Advisor candidates for an anticipated five-year USAID-funded program in Niger which will address locally-driven approaches to enhance the effectiveness of municipal governments, including service delivery, accountability and ability to mobilize financial and human resources, as well as encouraging citizen engagement in communal governance. The Municipal Governance Advisor will be based in Niamey and will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP) to provide technical and management support to the program.
Only citizens of Niger or third-country nationals living and authorized to work in Niger will be considered. This position is contingent on funding.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Analyze political, social, and economic situation in the immediate response context and provide advice to the team identifying strategic opportunities and potential programming areas
- Develop and maintain relationships with key government officials at the national and local level, other donors and implementers, private sector and civil society partners, program beneficiaries, and other stakeholders
- Provide technical expertise in local/municipal governance or decentralization to support excellence in program implementation
- Ensure identification, sharing and application of international best practices and lessons on governance-related issues relevant to Niger
- In collaboration with the COP, develop annual workplans and manage implementation
- Work closely with the COP and program staff to ensure deliverables are being met and support staff adhere to plans and deadlines
- Build local staff capacities in area of democratic governance
- Contribute to effective monitoring, evaluation, and reporting of program activities
- Other duties, as assigned
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree (master’s degree preferred) in Public Administration, Management, Political Science, Governance, Economics, or a related field
- At least eight (8) years of local/municipal governance or decentralization experience in Niger working in areas such as : Decentralization policy and its broad implementation across levels of government, service delivery, local government institutional strengthening, citizen outreach/engagement and social accountability, municipal finance, or local government infrastructure financing
- Deep contextual understanding of municipal governance in Niger
- Established professional relationships with municipal officials as well as international donors and implementing partners working in the local governance sector
- Demonstrated program management expertise
- Experience working on international donor-funded programs and understanding of USG regulations and compliance issues highly preferred
- Ability to coordinate different stakeholders in a complex working environment
- Strong organizational skills including ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Fluency in written and spoken English and French required; proficiency in Arabic, Hausa and/or local languages a plus
Please visit https://app.jobvite.com/j?aj=oFNgbfwD&s=ReliefWeb to submit your CV in ENGLISH for consideration.