Head of Procurement Unit (expat)
Procurement is a support unit that coordinates/facilitates procurement of equipment, goods and services for all units in Afghanistan in accordance to the Procurement Manual. The unit also technically backstop, coordinate and support the procurement at Regional Management Office level. The unit is also tasked to oversee and suggest improvements of systems, forms, manuals and regulations pertaining a transparent procurement operation
Scope of Work
The main purpose of the role is to lead and oversee the procurement process in Kabul Management Office (KMO) and provide technical support to Regional Management Offices (RMOs). The head of Procurement Unit is to formulate and drive a consistent approach towards sourcing, procuring and tendering processes in line with SCA legal framework and donor regulation. Ensuring the right price and that value of money is maximized and cost savings are generated. The key measurement of success is the ability to enhance compliance and reduce audit points. S/he reports to Administration Director.
- Develop and manage the procurement unit including setting targets and monitoring performances; Manage Procurement staffs’ annual leave and ensure proper functioning of the unit at all times throughout the year
- Contribute and work proactively in responding to SCA procurement demands/requests and to drive the achievement of SCA’s strategic objectives to support programme delivery within the realm of procurement
- Direct and support the work of staff across a range of activities relating to procurement, ensuring appropriate support and mentoring is in place to secure employee engagement and maximize talent and resources
- Take lead in development of SCA’s annual procurement plan. Close follow up with RMOs to ensure each procurement is planned and is included in SCA’s annual procurement plan
- Ensure procurement processes are started well ahead of time so that donor committed funds/budget are spend within time. In case of supplier late delivery, coordinate with Finance and ensure appropriate actions are taken to secure the budget as cost liability
- Contribute to SCA strategic plan, departmental annual work plan, budget plan and macro reporting
- Follow up on both internal and external procurement audit points and provide support and mentoring at central and regional offices to ensure irregularities are reduced to its optimum level
- Ensure local and international procurement practices are compliant with SCA legal frameworks and donor regulations
- Advise the management on interpretation of procurement policy, providing expert advice and guidance to mangers and team leaders
- Lead and contribute to the procurement manual revision and improvement
- Define and manage key supplier relationship to deliver high performance in cost, service and quality, including technical input to strategic negotiations
- Oversee bid and tendering procedures ensuring high quality, contractual obligation, transparency and accountability
- To act professionally and in line with SCA’s goals with regard to equality and diversity, health and safety including demonstrating and championing gender mainstreaming in the workplace
- Period field trips, upon clearance from security, to regional offices and provide necessary support, assistance and mentoring to ensure unified processes or standardization across all offices
- Submit monthly and quarterly reports highlighting key achievements of the unit
- The jobholder is predominantly responsible for the prioritizing of his/her own workload, but does undertake relevant work and or projects as requested by the Administration Director
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Business Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Procurement or other related fields.
- At least 7 years’ experience in procurement including bulk Procurement and procurement from overseas with recognized organizations.
- At least two (2) years managerial experience
- Excellent knowledge of Supply Chain Procedures
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- Computer skill at operator level, especially with MS Office packages
- Demonstrated leadership/management skills including staff and budget responsibility Experience of planning, reporting and budgeting
- Experience from humanitarian/development agencies with large field operations
- Previous experience from Afghanistan or a similar environment (conflict and post-conflict setting)
- Have participated in HEAT-training
- Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashtu
Swedish Committee for Afghanistan
Swedish Committee for Afghanistan (SCA) has been present in Afghanistan since the beginning of the 1980s. With a total number of staff is around 5,700 of whom 15 are non-Afghans, it is one of the largest organizations in the country. SCA is presently managing development programmes linked to Strategic Objectives within Health, Education, Rural Livelihoods and Community Governance, with a total annual budget of roughly USD 40 million. SCA operates in 14 provinces in Afghanistan and contributes to stability in an unstable country. The programmes are, to a vast majority, implemented in rural areas. In Sweden, SCA has around 22 staff at the office in Stockholm, and about 3500 members in local chapters all over the country.
In Afghanistan, close to 90,000 children go to schools run by SCA. Over one and a half million people receive medical care each year at clinics and hospitals run by the organization, while 3,000 children and adults with disabilities receive special education.
In recent years, SCA has moved from a humanitarian organization to an NGO which emphasizes on capacity development for individuals and civil society organizations related to its development programmes, aiming to enhance their capacity to advocate for their rights.
Activities are based on a Rights Based Approach, claiming that satisfying hunger and living with dignity is a right, not a gift. As such, SCA emphasises that women have equal rights and should have the same opportunities as men through its empowering programme activities.
- Contract period: 2 years with an initial 6 months probationary period
- Conditions: Non- family posting. SCA offers a competitive salary, free housing, insurances and other benefits.
- Duties to begin: January 2020
- Last date for application: 30 October 2019
- Apply from https://sak.se/om-oss/lediga-jobb?jobid=86305
- Download a 1-page letter explaining why you are interested in and suited for this position and your CV (no more than 2 pages) in English.