Physical Safety ToT Expert- Consultant
IREX is planning and, contingent upon funding, will implement a training-of-trainers expansion of an existing media project in South Asia. The Physical Safety ToT Expert will be responsible for the design, preparation and delivery of holistic safety ToT workshops.
The position is open to all qualified applicants. IREX will prioritize candidates from the South Asia region (e.g. Thailand, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Indonesia). This position is part time with an expected approximate 50 working days per year.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support the planning, start-up and implementation of a ToT initiative in South Asia, including conducting risk assessments and developing and establishing Standard Operating Procedures;
- In coordination with the Center Manager, M&E staff and other Trainers prepare tailored Training of Trainers (ToT) trainings for media practitioners and human rights defenders in South Asia;
- Design, develop, review and contextualize lessons and training material in physical safety and risk management to suit program participants and ensure integrated approach in training materials;
- Build capacity and mentor the ToT recipient organizations after the ToT as they develop and conduct their trainings;
- Mentor and lead partners in conducting risk assessments and developing risk management plans;
- Provide risk assessment and mitigation planning to at-risk individuals and organizations on an as-needed basis, and in coordination with the Center Manager;
- Support program Monitoring & Evaluation by reporting on activities as required by Center Manager and in coordination with the M&E staff and other trainers;
- Assist the Manger in ensuring safety of project beneficiaries, staff, activities and assets;
- Maintain a local and regional situational awareness and coordinate project responses to (emerging) threats, analyzing and disseminating information;
- In close coordination with the Manager and IREX HQ, develop, implement and maintain standard operating procedures (SOPs) for center operations and project activities;
- Other duties as assigned by the Center Manager and Program Director.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Please upload a file that includes a resume and a cover letter that includes your salary range (daily rate in $ USD) requirements. Finalists will be asked to provide references.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant field required
- Three years of demonstrated experience in successfully conducting trainings AND ToTs; preferably experience training individuals on risk management or safety;
- Demonstrated understanding of adult learning techniques; knowledge and use of interactive methods in training;
- Experience in designing trainings and developing and tailoring curricula, training content and methodology;
- Past experience of delivering holistic or physical safety ToT would be a plus;
- Demonstrated background in Physical Safety including but not limited to topics such as: planning, first aid, and incident management;
- Expertise in conducting risk assessments, leading risk management processes, developing and implementing Standard Operating Procedures (preferably for organizations and from a holistic perspective);
- Strong knowledge of the South Asia operating environment, especially as it relates to the media and civil society landscape;
- Experience working in high-risk environments or emergency situations;
- Experience in training in coordination with other trainers and coordinating content and methodology; must be open to learning and adapting training material for a holistic approach as well as piloting new adult learning techniques as needed;
- Basic understanding of digital and psychosocial safety domains and their integrated properties with physical safety;
- IREX will prioritize physical safety experts from the South Asia region with experience of working in South Asia on physical safety or holistic safety issues.
- Excellent communicator and mentor in face-to-face meetings as well as in remote/online settings;
- Ability to communicate and train across different cultures;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate professionally and provide written reporting in English;
- Dedicated trainer, role model and mentor with attention to detail, and with a strong commitment to share her/his knowledge with future colleagues;
- Valid passport and travel permission, for potential international travel; and
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and adapt to new program activity requirements and helping others to stay on track
To apply please send your resume and cover letter to the following link: