Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
The Marketing Manager is a senior team member in the Strategic Communications and External Affairs unit, responsible for the branding and position of Pathfinder to cultivate a growing network of supporters and fundraise. The Marketing Manager is passionate about brand identity and voice, loves project managing, keeps up with trends in digital marketing and fundraising, and enjoys working on multiple projects simultaneously.
Pathfinder was founded more than sixty years ago based on the belief that every man and woman, worldwide, should have access to safe, modern contraception. Today we work in 20 countries, rooted in a community-based service model that our founders, Sarah and Dr. Clarence Gamble, pioneered. We are committed to expanding access to quality sexual and reproductive health services and closing the gap between the number of women who want to use birth control and those who get that chance.
This position can be based in either Washington, D.C. or Boston, MA.
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
* Lead a global creative team, including in-house talent, external vendors, and freelancers to develop and execute a persuasive marketing strategy to position Pathfinder as a leader in sexual and reproductive health and rights.
* Oversee the digital team to implement marketing campaigns and strategies that raise Pathfinder’s visibility as well as fundraise through online channels and social media.
* Build Pathfinder’s repertoire of in-house and external sources to contribute to our communications and marketing efforts, including reviewing current contracted firms and freelancers and recruiting new talent.
* Responsible for communications planning and content creation. Ensures the timely production of Pathfinder’s newsletter, annual report, e-newsletter, brochures, press releases, success stories, and other external communications.
* Keeping up with market trends, emerging marketing and digital tools and technology, and fundraising applications.
* Liaise with other units at Pathfinder and our country offices to gather information, collaborate, and ensure accuracy of all communications.
* Represent Pathfinder at external events including conferences, meetings, and special events.
* Recruit, retains, and develops a professional team of communications and marketing experts. Directly supervises several staff members
* Tracks budget and performance metrics for the communications and marketing team. Responsible for managing the team to meet its targets and problem-solving with the Director when needed.
* Other responsibilities as required.
* You are personable, enjoy working in teams and with colleagues in a global organization.
* You are organized and meticulous when it comes to project management.
* You have direct supervisory experience and enjoy leading cross-functional teams.
* You are passionate about sexual and reproductive health and rights.
* You are an excellent communicator and enjoy writing.
* You have experience managing integrated campaigns that combine traditional and digital media.
* You are an experienced digital communicator and fundraiser and keep up with the latest market trends.
* You can manage sensitive information and maintain a high level of professionalism at all times.
* You like a challenge. No task is too big or too small.
* You are willing to go above and beyond to get the job done.
* You have a bachelors degree or equivalent.
* You have 7+ years in related work experience
* You can live and work in either Washington, D.C. or Watertown, MA.
* You have extensive experience working with technology including Skype, Microsoft office suite, Luminate, WordPress, etc. and are capable of working on a global team based in multiple offices and time zones.
Good to haves:
* You are an explorer and interested in travel – both domestically and internationally.
* You are conversant or fluent in multiple languages.
* You have a background in global development, reproductive health, or public health.
Minimally Required Job Competencies:
* Marketing and Communications Principles and Practices: Mastery of knowledge of applying standards, guidelines and best practices to marketing and communications efforts.
* Brand Strategy Development and Implementation: Mastery of skills to create, execute and sustain effective enterprise-wide brand strategies.
* Visual and Design Skills: Mastery of visual and design skills
* Design and Print Production: Mastery of knowledge of design process and print production.
* Communications Tools: Mastery of knowledge of online and new media communications tools.
* Leadership and Management: Proven ability to lead, supervise and coach members of staff in different locations.
* Job-Specific Software Applications: Mastery of knowledge of software applications for web based solutions, social media platforms, and apps.
* Project Management Planning and Management: Proven ability to plan and manage cross-functional initiatives.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
* Software Applications: Mastery of knowledge of Microsoft products, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook.
* Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
* Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using the English language
* Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels.
* Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights Services: Advanced knowledge of family planning and reproductive health principles, practices and services of assigned program, including program strategies and indicators.
* Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
* Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. In-depth demonstrated customer service skills.
* Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
* Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, and ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures and adapt local practices to global standards.
* Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
* Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
Minimally Required Education, Training and Experience:
* Bachelor’s degree in Non-Profit Management, Business, Communication, Marketing, or related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the minimally required competencies
* 7 year’s work experience
* Work experience with a multinational organization
* Experience leading global staff and vendors
* Knowledge of communications software
* Prefer: Master’s degree in related field
* Prefer: Experience living or working in developing countries that aids in the understanding of program context, field realities, and technical needs preferred
* Travel required (at least 20%)
* Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.