Country Director - Bangladesh
Are you our new Country Director in Bangladesh?
Do you want to take the lead in the further establishment of NRC in Bangladesh?
Are you experienced in putting in place structures and systems to support programmes?
Do you enjoy leading highly qualified managers?
NRC is looking for a new Country Director to develop our country operation in Bangladesh.
An estimated 905,000 Rohingya refugees currently reside in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh, over 700,000 of whom fled extreme violence in Myanmar in late 2017. Considered stateless, the Rohingya now make their homes in one of the most congested refugee camps in the world, living in bamboo shelters perched precariously on land that is prone to flooding and landslides. Access to basic services, including adequate sanitation, healthcare, livelihoods and education, is limited. NRC is responding to the Rohingya influx. Alongside our local partners, we provide assistance to refugees and local communities through education and ICLA activities. NRC plans to expand our operations and are considering activities around shelter and climate displacement.
The Country Director reports to the Regional Director for Asia/Europe/Latin America (AELA)
Duties and responsibilities
- Lead efforts for the further establishment of NRC in Bangladesh with relevant and robust programing.
- Ensure that needed structures and systems are in place to support NRC’s programmatic activities.
- Contribute to a joint sub-regional Rohingya Response, cooperating closely with the NRC programme in Myanmar.
- National representation and coordination
- Development and execution of country strategy
- All in-country activities, personnel and the Country Management Group (CMG)
- Safety and security of all staff
- Country level advocacy
- Resource allocation and mobilization
- Cost efficiency and quality, including implementation of control mechanisms
- Adequate country structures and systems
- Learning, training and development of all staff, including a strategy for national staff development
- Compliance and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Minimum 5 years experience from working as a Senior Manager/Country Director in humanitarian/recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented/proven results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Experience from Country Office start up
- Previous CD experience
- Experience from working in heavily bureaucratic environments
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability
We are looking for a Country Director who has the:
- Ability to assess and analyse humanitarian needs and identify relevant actions for beneficiaries
- Ability to develop appropriate strategies based on contextual and political understanding, assessments and NRC’s governing documents
- Ability to handle insecure environments
- Ability to create an atmosphere of trust and confidence
- Ability to delegate and authorise responsibilities appropriately
- Awareness of own strengths and limitations
- Ability to promote ideas and seek consensus
- And who can balance conflicting interests through careful consideration and discussion
- And be a role model by being accountable for decisions
We can offer
Commencement: November 2019
Duration: 24 months
Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions
Duty station: Dhaka, Bangladesh, with 30 % travel .
Dhaka is a family duty station
Approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.