Communications Officer (Digital Lead)
Communications Officer (Digital lead)
ALNAP (Active Learning Network for Accountability and Performance in Humanitarian Action)
Contract: 1-year Fixed Term
Salary: £28,491 - £33,986 per annum
An independent, global think tank, working for a sustainable
and peaceful world in which every person thrives.
ODI is an independent, global think tank, working for a sustainable and peaceful world in which every person thrives. We harness the power of evidence and ideas through research and partnership to confront challenges, develop solutions and create change. (odi.org)
Founded over 50 years ago, ODI is the UK’s leading international development think tank, influencing and shaping policy on the major global challenges of our time. Our views are informed by innovative research, a global outlook and first-hand knowledge and experience from developing countries and emerging economies.
Active Learning Network for Accountability and Performance in Humanitarian Action (ALNAP) – whose Secretariat is hosted by the ODI – is a system-wide network organisation dedicated to improving the accountability and performance of humanitarian action by strengthening the humanitarian evidence base through sharing lessons, identifying key issues and, where appropriate, providing leadership to find collective approaches and solutions.
ODI is seeking to appoint a talented and dynamic Communications Officer to join ALNAP and contribute to enhancing the impact of ALNAP’s research on humanitarian policy and practice; encourage communication within the ALNAP Network; oversee ALNAP’s knowledge management function and develop ALNAP and ODI’s reputation and image through efficient and effective external and internal communication, with a focus on delivery of high quality digital outputs.
The successful candidates will have:
- Digital communications skills and experience, including: content creation; website management; email marketing; strategic use of social media; analytics, multimedia; and SEO.
- Excellent writing skills, and the ability to summarise research information in clear, web-friendly, non-specialist language
- Good knowledge of social media, digital platforms and web content best practice
- Ability to work collegially with researchers, helping to shape research communications for target audiences
- Strong IT skills; ability to learn new software and systems quickly.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud (especially Illustrator and InDesign)
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-starter – ability to generate plans and ideas and carry them through to completion
- Excellent interpersonal skills including the ability to liaise and communicate with colleagues at all levels of seniority and from different cultures
- Excellent organisational and prioritisation skills
- Ability to work to strict deadlines and under pressure
- Ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Experience of managing relationships with external agencies and freelancers
- Ability to quickly pick up new softwares and tools; willingness to learn new skills
- Basic video production experience.
- Working knowledge of Adobe Premiere and After Effects
Interest and experience in humanitarian issues
Experience in research communications
Closing date: 22nd Oct 2019
Interview date: Week of the 5th Nov 2019
ODI is an equal opportunities employer Charity Reg. No.228248