Advocacy coordinator (M/F) - Palestinian territories
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 35 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
MdM has been present in Palestine for over 24 years and its strategy focuses on two pillars: Sexual & Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR) and Emergency Preparedness and Response (EPREP), with two cross-cutting topics: Mental Health & Psychosocial Support (MHPSS) and gender mainstreaming.
Its advocacy strategy targets international stakeholders, both in Israel/Palestine and in France/Europe, persuading them on taking actions to deal with the root causes that deny the Palestinian population of enjoying its fundamental human rights and in particular the right to health.
MdM’s advocacy capitalizes as much as possible on its field work to develop key advocacy messages, and the overall analysis of the impacts on health generated by the political, security and social context in West bank and Gaza of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the responsibility of the general coordinator, and in link with the medical coordinator you will design and update the MdM advocacy strategy for Palestine and implement the action plan. You are the communications focal point for the mission.
More specifically, your responsibilities are to:
Development and implementation of the advocacy strategy
- Develop and consolidate the organisation’s advocacy strategy for Palestine in coordination with the general coordinator, the desk officer and the country referent.
- Propose an adequate advocacy action plan for the mission and for the field bases, including activities aimed at achieving objectives at the international and national levels, using traditional and innovative advocacy actions.
- Organize and participate in high-level briefings and field visits.
- Monitor closely and analyse the political environment and context, including the international community, israeli and palestinian authorities.
- Update the strategy and initiate reactive advocacy actions based on regular follow up of the main political and diplomatic stakeholders’ agenda, statements and movements.
- Sensitize the field teams about advocacy work and involve them in advocacy actions such as briefings and train the field teams to collect testimonies.
- Encourage the team to participate in and produce communication material.
- Ensure advocacy and IHL trainings for the field teams.
Elaboration of advocacy supports
- Elaborate factsheets highlighting advocacy messages from our field data on the different areas of the strategy.
- Propose, draft and review relevant investigations/reports.
- Work closely with the medical coordinator in the collection of key operational data to be used for advocacy purposes and with the general coordinator on the annual report and related documents.
- In coordination with the HQ press department, prepare press releases and social media content.
- Propose and elaborate advocacy and sensitization material.
- Coordinate the MdM Network advocacy for Palestine, in close collaboration with the other MdM general coordinators, the MdM international network advocacy manager and the MdM international network communications manager, ensuring common positioning, and development of joint initiatives.
- Participate actively in advocacy coordination groups (AIDA, Platform of French NGOs for Palestine, UN clusters and French NGOs) to develop shared messages and take part in joint initiatives.
- Represent MdM in coordination groups and relevant advocacy working groups such as AIDA Working Group, UN Clusters.
- Maintain regular communication with major stakeholders including political authorities, diplomatic representations, international organizations, local and international NGOs.
- Develop a strong local network, including international, palestinian and israeli actors, such as NGO, government officials, press, scholars, UN, community leaders, etc. and update the advocacy contacts database.
- Support MdM local partnerships, especially in advocacy.
- In coordination with the general coordinator, the desk officer and the country referent, create and maintain contacts with relevant stakeholders in France and Brussels.
As Communication Focal point for Palestine
- Facilitate the communication and follow up of the communication department in the mission of Palestine with MdM staff.
- Proposes and contributes to media interventions: press releases, press trips, opinion column, interviews, etc.
- Coordinate international awareness days and campaigns related to the operations in the field.
- Centralise the communication material (Photos, videos, reports, interviews, media content)
- In coordination with the communication department, organize press briefings and press trips to the field.
MdM’s advocacy capitalizes as much as possible on its field work to develop key advocacy messages, and the overall analysis of the impacts on health generated by the political, security and social context in West bank and Gaza of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The advocacy coordinator therefore maintains close relation with the field team, in particular regarding data collection and reporting.
Considering the number of organizations (both national and international) involved in advocacy in Palestine, coordination and co-construction is an essential component of the position.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee Contract
Fixed-term contract (12 months)
Position to be filled from December 1st, 2019.
Based in Jerusalem with occasional trips on the field.
Salary: 2817 euros
Premium equal to one month salary paid in two instalments - minimum of 6 months seniority required
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Proven experience developing and implementing advocacy strategies at local and international level.
Excellent analytical skills, especially in complex political contexts.
Excellent representation and diplomatic skills, including the ability to defend advocacy position in front of external actors.
Excellent verbal written and verbal skills in English.
Knowledge of French and Arabic is an asset.
Excellent management of Windows environment (Word, Excel...)
Strong organisational skills.
Capacity to take initiatives and propose innovative solutions and to easily adapt to fast changing context.
Knowledge of data analysis and documentation for advocacy purposes.
Knowledge of how to use policy, research, lobbying, public campaigning, media and digital work to influence the political agenda.
Resistance to stress in tensed security context and heavy workload.
Ability to keep a distance with the context.
Willingness to travel to locations in insecure environments.
Knowledge of International Humanitarian Law is an asset.
Knowledge of Adobe suite.
Knowledge of the occupied Palestinian territories, the Middle East and/or the Muslim world is an asset.
Skills in graphic design, video, photo editing, and web development applications (would be a plus).
Experience in sexual & reproductive health, protection or mental health project is an asset.
Driving licence (for manual cars) is an asset.
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
To apply, click on the following link: https://www.jobs.net/jobs/medecins-du-monde/fr/job/Israel/Advocacy-coord...