As one of the nation’s premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with members of the Red Cross and Red Crescent network around the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs.
Based in Nassau, Bahamas, the Communications delegate serves as the Public Affairs representative and subject matter expert for American Red Cross’s Hurricane Dorian operation. The delegate supports the mission of the Red Cross by creating and implementing a communication strategy specifically for the Red Cross’s response to Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas, handling media requests, producing content, and providing communications counsel to program leadership and field staff. This position reports to the Director of International Communications.
- Oversee American Red Cross’s external communications activities in the Bahamas.
- Develop and implement a communication strategy alongside the Public Affairs team for the Red Cross’s ongoing response to Hurricane Dorian.
- Serve as on-the-record spokesperson for US media outlets.
- Travel to disaster-affected areas to create content for external channels and donor stewardship needs.
- Produce content about how donations are helping people impacted by Hurricane Dorian in the Bahamas—including videos, photos and website updates.
- Collaborate with the social engagement team to create content and support corporate social media efforts.
- Collaborate with the media relations team to identify and pitch stories, as well as field media calls
- Oversee the writing and production of compelling communication materials including press releases, key messages, stories, talking points, FAQs, media statements and other items for consumption by a variety of audiences.
- Collaborate with corporate support departments including Fundraising, Marketing and Government Relations to ensure unified messaging and information.
- Provide capacity-building support for the Bahamas Red Cross communications team.
- Build and maintain relationships with the Bahamas Red Cross, Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, and American Red Cross stakeholders.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Applicant must possess a four-year college degree (or equivalent experience) and have 5-7 years of experience in communications, journalism, marketing, public affairs or public relations.
- Exceptional written English is a must
- Professional experience in an international environment preferred.
- American Red Cross APAT-training preferred.
- Experience with the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and international deployment experience as a communications delegate preferred.
- Ability to work in high-pressure situations is essential.
- This position sometimes requires irregular or extended hours, including weekends, evenings, and travel, as needed. Must be able to travel overseas.