Senior Advisor, BRC & ARC Liaison
The American Red Cross (AmRC) International Services Department (ISD) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. With programs and partners in 70 countries, the American Red Cross is working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent Network (RCRC) in order to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world, reaching 100 million people annually.
In response to the devastating hurricane that made landfall on the Bahamas on September 1st, the American Red Cross (AmRC) has launched a response and early recovery program, and is seeking an experienced Liaison Sr. Advisor to support our field Representative through effective communication and support to the Bahamian Red Cross Society (BRCS), relevant Bahamian Government Authorities, and other key stakeholders in the impacted area. The Liaison Sr. Advisor works closely with the BRCS with the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and non-Movement partners; international organizations; government entities; the media; and other coordinating bodies. The Liaison Sr. Advisor functions as the strategic link between the American Red Cross and the Bahamas Red Cross Society, to support the National Society to position itself as a key and trusted response organization as it delivers its response and early recovery interventions. Additionally, the Liaison Sr. Advisor would also liaise with relevant Bahamian Government Authorities as requested by the National Society.
This is a six month term limited position with the opportunity to extend. This position will be based in Nassau, Bahamas with significant travel (up to 40%) to the affected areas. The position will report directly to the Field Representative and maintains and collaborates extensively with and is supported by numerous other staff in the AmRC Regional Office in Panama and at headquarters. The Field Representative may assign additional specific program and/or management oversight responsibilities to the Liaison Sr. Advisor as needs dictate.
- Serving as an extension of the AmRC Field Representative, external facing element of the response and early recovery operation,
- Establishing relationships and maintaining consistent, regular contact with Bahamian Red Cross, Bahamian government authorities and high-level appointed public officials, United States Government (USG) officials, and other appropriate stakeholders;
- Facilitating the positive outcome of difficult situations with Bahamian Red Cross Society, Bahamian government authorities, public officials, partners, community groups, and other relationships specifically in support of the Field Representative and BRCS;
- Together with the Field Representative works with BRCS Leadership to facilitate the resolution of service delivery issues communicated by the Bahamian government authorities, USG officials and other stakeholders;
- Support the BRCS in resolving general and specific misunderstandings of Bahamian government authorities and other stakeholders concerning any Red Cross activities;
- With the assistance of the Field Representative, participating in the resolution of complex, difficult and/or urgent issues surfacing within BRCS external relations;
- Providing accurate and timely information regarding Red Cross response and early recovery operations to relevant stakeholders in the Bahamas and the USA;
- Advise the BRCS and support coordination among Movement and/or external partners to ensure BRCS reputation integrity is protected; and
- Participating in Response Management Team conference calls and/or meetings
- 4-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and experience in areas such as emergency management, government, public policy and/or business administration;
- At least 7 years of experience in public and/or government relations, including establishing relationships and maintaining consistent, regular contact with Elected Officials, high-level appointed public officials and other appropriate stakeholders;
- Experience serving as an American Red Cross in an executive/leadership role;
- Experience working with disaster leadership to identify and facilitate the resolution of service delivery issues communicated by elected officials and other stakeholders;
- Proven track record of collaboration, facilitation, leadership, partnership management;
- Demonstrates excellent writing and verbal communications skills across various media for internal and external audiences;
- Learn and strategically apply a great deal of policy and guidance information quickly and conversantly with internal and external partners in a disaster environment;
- Proficient in MS PowerPoint, Excel, Word and at ease with new technology applications.