Manager, Bahamas Programs & Operations
The American Red Cross (AmRC) International Services Department (ISD) seeks to prevent and alleviate human suffering around the world by responding to disasters, building safer, more resilient communities, and educating future humanitarians. The American Red Cross continues to deepen and expand its international programming while also working to strengthen the global Red Cross Red Crescent Network, in order to deliver critical assistance to some of the most vulnerable communities in the world.
In response to the devastating hurricane that made landfall on the Bahamas on September 1st, the International Services Department of the American Red Cross (AmRC) launched a response and early recovery program and is seeking an experienced Program & Operations Manager to oversee and manage the American Red Cross Bahamas Hurricane Dorian Response program portfolio. The Program & Ops Manager will be responsible for providing strong technical and programmatic support to achieve well-integrated programmatic goals, including the development of a monitoring plan to ensure quality, compliance, and report regularly on progress against time, scope and budget. S/he will also be responsible to oversee and manage administrative and support functions within the delegation such as security, human resources, procurement, administration, fleet and logistics, facilities and asset management and IT, among other support services.
Under the supervision of the Field Representative, the Programs & Ops Manager will seek and facilitate coordination and synergies with other implementing agencies, namely the Bahamas Red Cross Society (BRCS), and others to maximize best practices and a positive impact of programs at the community level. The Program & Ops Manager will also be responsible for ensuring programmatic and operations compliance in the American Red Cross funded Dorian Response program portfolio, in collaboration with ARC National Headquarters and Red Cross/Red Crescent partners. The Program & Ops Manager will coordinate and represent AmRC programs at the programmatic level with Red Cross Movement and non-Movement partners, international organizations, government entities, the media, and other coordinating bodies.
This position will be based in Nassau and will travel as needed and up to 75% of time to implementation sites and hurricane affected areas to monitor activities and level of satisfaction of the affected communities and individuals. The Program & Ops Manager will lead development of ARC-supported programs as needed. The position will report directly to the Field Representative and maintains and collaborates extensively with and is supported by numerous staff in the AmRC Regional Office in Panama and at headquarters to ensure consistent and standardized use of AmRC guidance, best practices and processes. The Program & Ops Manager will maintain an active and collaborative relationship with the NHQ-based Program Officer (PO) for the Dorian response as the primary point of contact and support from headquarters, and through the PO with other NHQ-based technical support units. The Program & Ops Manager may have additional responsibilities depending on programmatic developments in the operation.
This is a full-time position for 12-months. This is an unaccompanied post.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Accountable for successful implementation of AmRC funded program.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Bahamas Red Cross Society (BRCS) on American Red Cross funded programs.
- Track and document activities to ensure progress and assess effectiveness of program in alignment with project scope, budget, and timeframe, by performing regular program reviews, organizing value-added trainings, monitoring budgets, and reporting. Monitor programs on a regular basis and make recommendations for changes to enhance performance as appropriate.
- Monitor and document administrative and operations compliance in accordance with established procedures, policies and best practice with regard to delegation administration, logistics, contracts and agreements, asset management, IT, fleet, security and other operations support area.
- Manage and mentor program staff as well as key BRCS staff to enhance programmatic stewardship as well as quality management/implementation, and provide critical support in achieving project goals.
- Work with the Response & Recovery unit and/or Quality, Data & Learning unit at HQ on monitoring and evaluation through the programmatic cycle.
- Lead or provide guidance on the design and development of concept papers/proposals if and when required.
- Work with the Operations, Grants & Agreements unit at HQ to ensure adherence to procedures, policies and best practice.
- Coordinate with the HQ based Program Officer to ensure programmatic and reporting compliance.
- Monitor cash flow projections and expenditures and analyze together with the Field Representative and Finance implications for achievement of program goals and objectives.
- Ensure compliance in programmatic and financial reporting from partners, as outlined in funding agreements.
- Provide additional program support and management duties as requested by the Country Representative.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MA in international studies, business management, public administration or relevant field preferred.
- Previous response program management experience required.
- Minimum five years of international disaster management and risk reduction experience in developing countries is required, including significant experience in operations management and implementation especially within the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement.
- Minimum three years supervisory experience required.
- Prior overseas/field experience with international NGO, and/or RC/RC required.
- Knowledge of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, international relief and development principles and operations management is essential.
- Proven track record in successful program design, proposal development, and grant management required.
- Strong experience managing complex programmatic portfolios and across the response to early recovery cycle required.
- Proven track record delivering programs on time, scope and budget.
- Strong leadership skills, excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as effective interpersonal skills are required.
- Must display flexibility, adaptability, initiative, results oriented, and a high degree of competence in planning, project management, team building, teamwork, and commitment to the American Red Cross principles.
- Must possess strong personal integrity and ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Proficiency in multiple computer applications, especially in MS Office
- Experience working in the Caribbean, is preferred.
- Fluent spoken and written English required.