Gender Communications Specialist
About IREX: IREX is an independent nonprofit organization dedicated to building a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world by empowering youth, cultivating leaders, strengthening institutions, and extended access to quality education and information.
Program Summary: For five years, USAID Takamol has focused on mainstreaming gender at policy, national, and community levels. During the next two-years, USAID Takamol will work with government institutions and civil society to address gender priorities related to access to justice, political empowerment, education, and workforce participation. Takamol will address gender priorities within these four target sectors by building the capacity of public entities to mainstream gender within their strategies and services, and strengthening targeted advocacy and grassroots initiatives led by civil society on gender inequities. Takamol will deliver technical assistance and trainings, provide grants, and convene a Community of Practice with the objective of enhancing gender equity and female empowerment. The program is funded by USAID and implemented by IREX, an international nonprofit organization that builds a more just, prosperous, and inclusive world.
Summary of Position:
IREX is seeking a Gender Communications Specialist who will be responsible for gender-sensitive messaging and communications on gender equality priorities related to economic and political empowerment, justice, and education. The position will primarily work with Takamol colleagues, Government of Jordan staff, and civil society partners to develop effective messaging strategies and content to increase knowledge, change perceptions, and change behaviors related to support gender equality priorities. The Specialist will apply strategic messaging to a variety of content types, including but not limited to policy documents, press releases, social media, radio, short videos, and promotional materials as well as Takamol deliverables including training materials, infographics, and guides.
Description of Responsibilities:
- Develop/update Takamols communication and branding plan in compliance with USAID policies & regulations.
- Work directly with the communication staff of Government of Jordan entities to develop communication strategies, and design and implement strategic gender-sensitive campaigns. Examples of campaigns relate to elections and women’s economic participation;
- Manage a subgrant with a civil society partner to conduct an assessment of gender messages in the media and train journalists on gender-sensitive coverage of elections and political developments. Provide technical assistance to the grantee to deliver high-quality research and training materials;
- Design communication campaigns related to labor and education by coordinating with partners, identifying strategic messages, and managing contracts and/or subgrants;
- Coordinate with key partners to conduct communications campaigns around the 16 Days Against Gender-Based Violence and other national or international events;
- Advise and coach partners on how to effectively engage with media to promote strategic gender messages;
- Design and deliver trainings related to gender-sensitive messaging and other topics as needed, including to the Takamol Community of Practice;
- Draft summary reports, internal updates, and social media blurbs related to program activities and results. Submit data to M&E staff to ensure all activities and achievements are recorded.
- An advanced degree in communications, gender studies, journalism, marketing, or a related field;
- Minimum 4 years of relevant work experience in media, communications, campaign development, advocacy, or gender projects;
- Knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment advantageous;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in Arabic and English. Strong public speaking skills preferred.
- Research skills preferred, especially rapid desk reviews and conducting interviews;
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Office programs, including Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Experience with graphic design and formatting preferred.
Interested candidates are welcome to apply using the following link: