Programme Quality Manager
Employment Term: Fixed- term (2 years)
Level: International, C1
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Closing Date: 15 October 2019
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty. That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
Note to candidates:Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organisational values and attributes at the interview stage. The successful candidate(s) will be expected to adhere to our code of conduct. We encourage candidates to read and understand our code of conduct here.
Oxfam is looking for Programme Quality Manager.
To manage the Programme Quality team, including a MEAL team, Programme Design, Research, Partnership and Learning. Work with all the programme teams on their strategic plans for the programme and ensure quality programming, delivery and learning, based on evidence of impact at field level.
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Manage a knowledge management framework, ensuring evidence-based programming, feeding learning into programme design and implementation, and programme knowledge is being captured
- Coordinate on and produce key learning documents, and processes in country,
- Analyse documentation and reporting of assessments, program data, lessons learnt, evaluations and best practices to guide on internal and external sharing
- Translate lessons learned at programme level to inform senior management strategy
- Track assessments, research and knowledge generation throughout the organisation
- Working closely with funding and programme managers, co-lead on the development of programme and project planning in line with quality requirements including logframe development and theories of change
- Review all project proposals and programme development to ensure project logic, and PQ standards are met
- Maintain oversight for the quality of design, MEAL and partnership work, and accountability mechanisms in the field and in Yangon, working together with the MEAL team; support senior managers in delivering their responsibility for the quality of the work and strong accountability in the field and in Yangon
- Strengthen upward (including donor) and downward accountability (to beneficiary, partners and other stakeholders) within the humanitarian, development and advocacy programmes
- Ensure that accountability and community feedback mechanisms are implemented and utilised according to agreed principles and following the minimum standards of accountability.
Programme Quality Strategy
- Design and monitor programme quality strategy for Myanmar
- Support and contribute to the Oxfam Country Strategy, country reporting and planning processes and inputting into the Myanmar Leadership Team as required
- Provide support to all the programme teams on their strategic plans for the programme to deliver against the OCS
MEL, Quality Programme Implementation & Project Cycle Management
- Oversea the MEAL manager and MEAL staff to provide support to the humanitarian, development and advocacy project teams in designing robust MEAL systems including monitoring and evaluation framework, monitoring and evaluation plans, MEAL tools, conducting field Programme Quality exercise and data management and analysis
- Develop and manage the OCS MEAL Framework and other meta evaluations
- Support the MEAL team, working closely with Communications team to collect best practices, case studies which demonstrate qualitative and quantitative changes over time.
- Working closely with OPAL Officer, provide oversight and support to programme and project manager in ensuring that Programme management, information, accountability and learning systems (including but not limited to OPAL) are developed and up to date and contain quality and accurate information that supports decision making by Programme Leadership Team and programme teams
- Take the lead on annual Programme Quality reviews and learning events for all projects
- Directly manage research coordinator, ensuring that research is being delivered to quality, on time and appropriate rigor is applied
- Manage the Affiliate and donor relationships in regard to any research projects
- Coordinate any broader external engagement in regard to research, including on reference groups, ethics, approvals etc.
- Guide research strategy and implementation planning
- Analyze data and develop research outputs as required
Capacity building and Coordination – staff and partners
- Directly manage the programme quality team. Ensure good management, facilitation and ‘problem solving’ with and for line reports as and when needed.
- Ensure the project teams and relevant staff know and use the Programme Quality standards and tools
- Raise the profile of programme quality organisationally; build capacity of Programme Quality in humanitarian, advocacy and development functions
- Work with the programme quality team to develop and deliver training materials
- Co-lead Country/Programme monitoring & Learning workshops/reviews (including Programme Quality Reviews) with relevant programme leads, partners, and other stakeholders
- Work closely with Oxfam partners to improve program quality strategy and implementation, including capacity development support
- Provide support to the Senior Strategic adviser on partnership process
Working with others
- Manage/support/work closely with relevant consultancy to ensure strong and quality delivery of ToR
- Lead on ensuring programme teams ownership and understanding of consultancy findings
- Be a key contributor to the partnership improvement plan, ensuring Oxfam has the right partners to achieve impact and the resources to support partners’ capacity needs
- Provide ongoing support and capacity building to programme teams to develop and maintain effective relationships
- Coordinate with other programmes and agencies on Programme Quality issues as required
Skills, Experience and Knowledge
- Passion for improving programme quality for greater and tangible impact and outcomes for poor and at-risk women and men
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of improving effectiveness of humanitarian and development programmes and demonstrating tangible outcomes for poor and at-risk women and men
- Masters agree in International development, political science, community development, Evaluation or similar
- Sound understanding of and experience in project cycle management in international development
- Strong technical competence and experience in development of MEAL systems and strategies, quantitative and qualitative monitoring and evaluation methods, data analysis, reporting and understanding of contemporary trends and debates in the field including innovative M&E
- Demonstrated experience leading project design process and interrogating project logic
- Practical experience of mainstreaming gender in development, advocacy or humanitarian work
- Proven experience of upward and downward accountability approaches and mechanisms
- Comprehensive knowledge and proven experience of developing quality partnerships and ways of working with diverse stakeholders
- Demonstrable systems thinking with the ability to problem solve in sustainable way
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to communicate in English clearly both verbally and in writing and with all levels of staff
- Experience working within Myanmar, or similar fragile contexts
- Experience working in an adaptive way, using evidence and research to ground and alter approaches
To view the full job description please click here
Find out about everything we do, please click here
Get a feel of what it is like to work at Oxfam, please click here
Find out more about our pay & benefits, please click here
How to apply
Please state applied position in email subject line and send CV and cover letter to Human Resources Department through email@example.com (OR)
Oxfam office, No. 34, Corner of Aung Taw Mu Street and Golden Hill Avenue Street, Golden Valley Ward 2, Bahan Township, Yangon, Myanmar.
Phone: +95 (0)1 539986, 539987, 539958, 539189 and 504918