Consulting Investigator- French Speaking
The Investigator/Analyst will support the Senior Investigator (“SI”) and the Senior Director of Investigations (“SDI”) of the Ethics and Compliance Unit (“ECU”), in providing support to investigations including reviewing case files, writing investigation reports, conducting interviews and reviewing/analyzing documents for cases originating predominantly from Africa, including field sites, and camp locations. In addition, the Investigator/Analyst may provide support to investigations of cases from other countries and locations where IRC operates.
Perform key analytical and investigative procedures for existing and assigned cases as directed, including, but not limited to:
• Prepare and finalize draft Investigative reports that are clearly and well written with appropriate presentation of facts, analysis and conclusions, and in accordance with ECU standards.
• Undertake investigations of alleged fraud, waste, financial corruption, misconduct, sexual exploitation and abuse ensuring objectivity, impartiality and fairness throughout investigative processes in accordance with generally recognized international investigative standards and IRC guidelines and ECU policies and procedures;
• Development of investigative work plans; review and analyze information to determine its relevance and reliability, conduct interviews of staff and other involved parties, record interviews, obtain and analyze potential documentary and electronic evidence, conduct investigative research, prepare draft investigation reports, and present investigative results in a clear written form;
• Preparing informational requests, overseeing document collections, and conducting review of documents;
• Research of individuals, corporations, and other topics; Prepare reports and ad hoc briefs pertaining to investigations in coordination with the Sr. Director, Investigations
• Electronic evidence review, such as email and data;
• Interviews with IRC staff, vendors, and other third parties;
• Status reporting;
Consultant Investigator Reports to: Sr. Investigator, Investigations, Nairobi
Consultant Investigator directly supervises: None
Other Internal and/or external contacts
Internal: Headquarters departments, international and U.S. program operations as needed
External: Vendors, service providers and external auditors and contractors as needed
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in business, accounting, criminal justice or related field.
Certificates, licenses or advanced degrees in law, accounting or computer forensics an advantage: (CFE/CFF/CPA/CA/CCEP)
• 5+ years of international financial fraud investigations (procurement, vendor/supply chain) experience (including substantive experience in developing countries and insecure environments)
• Excellent writing and report drafting skills
• Must communicate effectively both orally and in writing
• Excellent judgment and discretion, and ability to work with frequent interruptions and adapt to changes in workflow.
• Analytical experience is a plus;
• Experience conducting fraud, collusion, bribery and corruption investigations in challenging environments, and in the locations where the IRC operates;
• Experience leading investigations of complex fraud, collusion and procurement fraud in government programs, NGO programs or the equivalent;
• Experience working with investigation teams in distant locations and insecure environments;
• Experience conducting interviews of witnesses and subjects;
• Experience with international organizations and nonprofits, NGO sectors or grant-supported organizations, or the inspector general function within a large government organization.
• Experience of investigating sexual exploitation and abuse a plus.
Travel to insecure environments required
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
• Fluency in French is a requirement.
• Fraud Investigation Principles and Techniques, including Procurement Fraud, Bribery, Collusion and Corruption
• Extensive Interviewing skills and the ability to interview both witnesses and subjects
• Experience with computer and accounting forensic specialists (having such expertise a plus)
• Communications – Written and Oral English
• Demonstrated ability to build relationships and work successfully with internal functional units and operations
• Ability to work well within a team environment and adhere to reporting structures
• MS Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint and VISIO
• Demonstrated experience and a successful track record working with minimal supervision and with flexibility.
• Position could be based in Nairobi, or at a different location, outside of Kenya.
• Travel 50% or more to developing countries including insecure environments