Country Programme Manager Myanmar
Country Programme Manager Myanmar
The Norwegian Red Cross is part of the Red Cross Red Crescent (RCRC) Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network with millions of volunteers and staff operating in 190 countries. Our mission is to alleviate human suffering, protect life and health, and uphold human dignity especially during armed conflicts and other emergencies. To achieve this, we follow the seven humanitarian principles; Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary service, Unity and Universality
The Myanmar Red Cross Society (MRCS) is the leading and oldest humanitarian organization in Myanmar, MRCS is committed to improving the health and well-being of vulnerable people. MRCS began operations in 1920 and was admitted to the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies in 1946.
In 2019 the Norwegian Red Cross signed a bilateral agreement with MRCS which is the one organisation that has unparalleled access to the country. This bilateral agreement is the basis for a strong and trustful relationship being established that enables the NorCross to collaborate with the MRCS to implement health related projects.
MRCS/Norcross are currently engaged in a medical project in Rakhine state and a NorCross health delegate is based in Maungdaw. For the scale up of NorCross-MRCS relations we are now recruiting a Country Program Manager with a strong medical profile, reporting to the NorCross Regional Representative in Islamabad, Pakistan, who will expand the country program to oversee the set-up of a health program in Kachin State.
Country Programme Manager in Myanmar
The purpose of the Country Programme Manager is to achieve Norwegian Red Cross humanitarian objectives at country level through results-based project management and risk management. The position will be Yangon based with frequent trips to Kachin- and Rakhine state.
Three strategic objectives for the position:
· Ensure collaboration at all levels with Norwegian Red Cross Regional Office in Islamabad
· Follow up and strengthen the National Society partnership through project development and management in line with established project agreements and project plans.
· Maintain and develop the partnerships and relations with other Red Cross movement members.
Key operational responsibilities
· Follows up and supports the cooperation with MRCS in accordance with the Partnership Agreement.
· Develop the Country office, overseeing the established MRCS/NorCross project in Rakhine and start-up of Kachin Project.
· Responsible for country frameworks and yearly plans of action
· Day to day management of Kachin project.
· Line manages in-country Norwegian Red Cross Country Technical Delegate Health and other national staff
· Ensures that Field Security Rules and Regulations for Norwegian Red Cross are updated and understood, and oversees their compliance
· Carry out regular field monitoring, provides recommendations and assistance on project improvements and follows up on their implementation in line with established project agreements and project plans.
· Contribute to the implementation of Gender Based Violence strategies at the regional and country levels,
· Supports financial risk management, including annual audit process and proper handling of financial irregularities, in line with established rules and regulations.
· Ensures accountability in line with Norwegian Red Cross Accountability Matrix and Partnership Calendar
· Provides trainings and coaches Host National Society project staff on the operationalization of established technical standards and when challenges arise during the implementation
· Provides surge support to other countries and regions, as relevant and upon the request of the Regional Office. Helps colleagues to understand and make use of available technical tools and methodologies.
We seek a person who;
· is a self-starter, makes things happen and is result oriented
· co-operates well with others; shares knowledge, experience and information and supports others in the pursuit of team goals
· builds a useful network of contacts and relationships and utilize it to achieve objectives
· communicates in a clear, precise and structured way; speaks with authority and conviction; presents effectively
· understands the organizations formal and informal rules and structure and utilizes internal processes effectively to get things done
· demonstrates specialist knowledge and expertise in own area and participates in continuous development
· University Degree (MSc, MPH, MBBS) in health-related discipline.
· Education or working experience relevant for programmatic focus
· managing humanitarian teams in complex humanitarian setting
· implementing Health programmes in challenging contexts.
· drafting successful donor applications and reporting on humanitarian projects with measurable results
· Fluency in English in required. Working proficiency of regional languages is an asset
· International driving licence (manual gear) is required.
Regional Representative ASIA, based in Islamabad, Pakistan
Position is based in:
Yangon, with frequent travels to the field (Kachin, Rakhine)
24-36 months’ contract, possible with extension
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: Youll be a part of the world's largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.