Assistant, Development and Outreach
PART-TIME JOB VACANCY
Development and Outreach Department
Application Deadline: October 21, 2019
The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking an Assistant to provide administrative support in the Toronto Office. The HRW Canada office serves as an important base for HRW’s fundraising and outreach activities in Toronto and in the surrounding region.
This position is fixed-term and part-time (24 hours per week) and is anticipated to start November 2019 and end July 2020. The Assistant reports to the Associate Director for Development and Outreach, based in Toronto. This opportunity is best suited for individuals interested in learning about fundraising activities and contributing to our organization in our Toronto office.
- Provide administrative support to the department such as scheduling, making travel arrangements, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, preparing background materials, processing mail, and responding to inquiries;
- Assist with the organization, materials and administrative follow up for events in Toronto, such as: Committee meetings, outreach events, the Human Rights Watch Film Festival, the annual Voices for Justice Dinner, and the HRW Council Summit;
- Assist with the maintenance of Raiser's Edge database by ensuring accurate and timely recordings of all contact information, generating reports, lists and queries, and updating information;
- Assist with the recruitment and coordination of volunteers;
- Track communication with Canada Committee members, donors, and supporters;
- Draft development content, e-mail blasts, and newsletters; and
- Perform other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree in human rights, international relations, social science, or a related field is required. An event management certificate is an asset.
Experience: A minimum of one year of relevant work experience is desirable.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
- Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are strongly desired.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are essential.
- Strong interest in international human rights and event management is required.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, including donors, are required.
- Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
- Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
- Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in locations globally are required.
- Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
- Experience with Raiser’s Edge and donor databases, as well as knowledge of web management and html are strongly desired.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current Canadian work authorization.
Salary: The salary for this position is CAD 17.00 per hour.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by October 21, 2019 by visiting our online job portal at careers.hrw.org and attaching a cover letter and resume, preferably as PDF files. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.