Business Development Director
Montrose is looking for an exceptional, driven individual at a key stage of their international development career to join our dynamic and growing global team as Business Development Director, based in the UK.
You will have extensive experience in successfully leading and winning bids for DFID and other key development agencies. You will have both field- and HQ-level experience in designing and securing new programmes ideally in one or more of our core international development sectors: health, education, enterprise, and environment.
You will be passionate about grounded-realism and pragmatism as the keys to development programming success, and will be at a stage in your career where you want to help lead a growing SME supplier through the next stage of global expansion.
We are an international development, social investment, and project management company. We specialise primarily in health, education, enterprise, environment and research service areas. We exist to deliver high quality, pragmatic, tailored programmes which make lives better across Africa and Asia-Pacific. Montrose works with people who share our enthusiasm for this vision and style, including bilateral and multilateral development agencies, the private sector, Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and other development stakeholders. More information can be found at www.montroseint.com
To lead the development of new business and growth for the company globally
Location: UK, in or within practical reach of London, with frequent overseas travel including Africa and Asia (estimated at 35% LOE)
Key Functions for this Position:
1. Business Development (70%)
- In close coordination with the Managing Director, actively develop global new business among existing and new private and public-sector clients
- Develop and maintain an effective, engaged and active network of potential clients and partners across the private and public sectors UK and more widely, operating in target countries in Africa and Asia-Pacific.
- Lead development of BD strategy and longer-term pipeline forecasting
- Analyse opportunities and provide recommendations on whether, and how to most effectively, the company should pursue them.
- Lead effective consortium positioning and negotiations in advance of tender publication
- Lead the development of proposals (including coordinating, writing, and quality assurance)
- Provide writing and research support to business development initiatives, and support other BD team members in contributing to this
- Develop the Business Development team’s capacity to deliver effective and successful bids. This will include frequent trips to Jersey and Kampala, with additional travel to Myanmar, Sierra Leone and other locations.
- Supervise/manage consultants and personnel providing inputs into proposals
- Support consultant/personnel identification and liaison for proposals and upcoming initiatives
- Ensure promotion and development of Montrose brand recognition, including oversight of marketing for services
Work closely with the Programmes Director and the Finance & Admin Director to ensure integrated systems and delivery from BD to implementation. This will include:
Joint coordination of staffing inputs across BD, PM and Finance teams
Ensuring programmes team input, quality assurance and review of proposals – especially in areas of delivery method, timing, and costing in countries where they are actively delivering contracts
Working with the Finance team to develop successful commercial models for proposals
Lead transition of successful proposals to implementation
Cultivate a strong company awareness of BD priorities and approaches, ensuring programmes team staff are positioned to integrate BD into overseas trips. This would include ensuring staff are able to identify potential client need, position for follow-on or expansion contracts, and identify new clients
Mentor and performance manage the BD team
Provide BD reporting inputs to the MD ahead of quarterly board meetings
Effectively contribute to the growth and profitability of the company
2. Company Representation (20%)
Establish and maintain strong relationships with existing and prospective public and private sector clients as a representative of Montrose, with an emphasis on the international development and extractive industry communities in London and more widely, operating in target countries in Africa and Asia-Pacific.
Representation of Montrose at meetings, forums and other events
3. Technical Inputs (10%)
Providing technical inputs for areas of expertise on ongoing projects where appropriate
Reviewing/providing quality assurance on technical reports and deliverables where appropriate
Maintain strong working knowledge of active projects (including key political-economy issues) for effective programme design, consortium positioning and role negotiation, networking, and effective representation
Qualifications & Experience:
5-10+ years relevant experience including successful track record in business development and winning tender development
Masters degree in International Development or other relevant subject
Strong experience networking and partnering with international development sector actors on tenders, bid design and programme delivery
Excellent English language writing skills with strong experience writing technical material for successful bids
Experience working with DFID, UN agencies, World Bank and other development partners
Sound commercial skills relating to budgeting, proposal development, and pipeline planning
- Experience working with EU, USAID, and private sector development clients (including corporate social investment departments and philanthropic foundations)
- Existing DFID and international development community network in London
- Language skills (particularly French or Spanish)
We offer a meaningful and exciting career in a position with space to grow the company; a competitive package with frequent opportunities for travel and engagement with Montrose teams globally; and flexible working – ideally from the South East, UK.
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications and are interested in this opportunity, please submit your application Here by Monday 21st October 2019.