Chief of Party
Creative Associates seeks a Chief of Party for an upcoming five-year, multi-million-dollar USAID community-based education project in Afghanistan. Enrolling more children in school is one of the Ministry of Education's (MoE) highest priorities given the 3.7 million out of school children. Over the next five years, the MoE aims to increase low primary school attendance and improve secondary school enrollment, especially for poor and disadvantaged children in rural areas. The challenge is that there are simply not enough government schools and teachers to meet the need. Resource constraints have hindered the MoE in establishing an adequate number of public schools throughout the country. Vast gender disparities persist as well, with girls representing 39 percent of all enrolled students. Community based education (CBE) continues to provide education opportunities to children where formal schools are still non-existent.
The Chief of Party (COP) provides overall technical and administrative leadership and expertise for the upcoming education activity and serves as the primary liaison with USAID/Afghanistan on management and technical matters. S/he will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of the activity. S/he will supervise activity implementation and ensure the activity meets stated goals and reporting requirements. The COP will take a leadership role in coordination among USAID and key stakeholders, the Ministry of Education, and other implementing partners. The COP position requires political savvy, as s/he will interact with numerous Government of Afghanistan institutions and senior-level national and county-level government officials. The COP will have demonstrated ability to work in complex, politically charged, unstable environments, work across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Chief of Party reports to the Project Director based in Washington DC and supervises several key project staff. S/he will oversee the long-term expatriate and local staff and short-term experts in achieving successful project results.
- Strategic direction of the project evaluated regularly and adjusted as needed to best support project stakeholders and achieve project objectives.
- Strategic approach interventions conducted in a results-oriented and integrated manner.
- Project team and external stakeholders always kept informed and engaged on all aspects of the project.
- Close coordination with the Ministry of Education to effectively implement education activities for improved learning and access outcomes across targeted sites.
- Successful coordination across donor initiatives.
- Serve as principal liaison with USAID, Afghan Ministry of Education counterparts and community stakeholders on program communications and technical implementation activities;
- Provide technical direction and leadership and oversight of all administrative matters;
- Provide technical support to the team in all program areas;
- Develop and implement work plans for project activities;
- Oversee implementation of project monitoring and evaluation activities and ensure that project results are met;
- Supervise development and submission of project deliverables and provide timely and accurate reporting and briefings to USAID on all program areas;
- Ensure compliance with all terms of the project award and all relevant USAID rules and regulations;
- Oversee implementation of Creative’s security protocols and provide leadership in handling security-related issues; and
- Manage the program team in a manner that is open and respectful and encourages professional development.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in education or a directly relevant field from an accredited university;
- At least 15 years of experience in relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with programs of a similar scope to this activity (at least 10 of these years must be in a management/leadership position);
- At least 10 years of experience in the education sector;
- Experience in project design, policy dialogue, strategic planning and implementation, education reform and national-level quality improvement;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of capacity development and professional development; and
- Professional proficiency and fluency in written and spoken English.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Regional experience and demonstrated capacity to implement programs in education in conflict-affected, alternative and rural settings; and
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in education or a directly relevant field from an accredited university.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
Please apply on our website: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CRE1010CREAI/JobBoard/b093422a-53ee-4b40-...