Creative Associates seeks a Finance Manager for an upcoming five-year, multi-million-dollar USAID community-based education project in Afghanistan. Enrolling more children in school is one of the Ministry of Education's (MoE) highest priorities given the 3.7 million out of school children. Over the next five years, the MoE aims to increase low primary school attendance and improve secondary school enrollment, especially for poor and disadvantaged children in rural areas. The challenge is that there are simply not enough government schools and teachers to meet the need. Resource constraints have hindered the MoE in establishing an adequate number of public schools throughout the country. Vast gender disparities persist as well, with girls representing 39 percent of all enrolled students. Community-based education (CBE) continues to provide education opportunities to children where formal schools are still non-existent.
Position Summary: The Finance Manager provides overall financial management and oversight for the project and will work closely with the Chief of Party. This position will also be a liaison with the home office to ensure full compliance with regulations and policies regarding implementation of effective internal controls.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Finance Manager reports directly to the Chief of Party and will supervise a team of finance staff. The Finance Manager will liaise regularly with the HQ Field Accounting Manager on related project and corporate finance matters.
- Establish and maintain financial management and accounting control systems for program expenditures;
- Ensure that the project meets all donor contractual requirements and complies with donor policies and regulations;
- Receive and account for all funds for the project (performing weekly and monthly cash checks);
- Liaise between Creative Associates' field and headquarters offices;
- Participate in ongoing analysis, forecasting and review of project expenses;
- Participate in budget planning and realignments as required;
- Track the transfer of funds between headquarters and the field office and manage accounting and finance records of in-country expenses, including developing spreadsheet programs for tracking and monitoring all financial project activities, and maintaining spreadsheets with current project expense data;
- Provide HQ updates on the status of fund requests and work with Finance and Contracts (F&C) in Washington, DC to ensure the timely transfer of funds;
- Submit wire transfer requests for field offices to F&C for processing;
- Process check requests and wire transfer requests for payments to vendors in compliance with contract requirements;
- Review and process invoices and in-field fee payments in accordance with Creative accounting procedures and contract policies;
- Work closely with field-based subcontractors to ensure budgets, projections, and invoices are completed according to Creative/USAID policies and procedures;
- Manage personnel and payroll office staff and procedures;
- Maintain project financial and contractual files;
- Develop financial procedures manual;
- Provide financial management and systems training for project staff;
- Maintain a database of accounting documents, in both electronic and hard copy;
- Consolidate accounting data into a monthly return to be forwarded to Headquarters in paper and electronic copies;
- Prepare the requisite financial documents and vouchers;
- Draft quarterly and annual financial reports on financial status of project expenses and budget information;
- Coordinate with USAID regarding the management of U.S. dollars and local currencies;
- Ensure monthly field expense reports;
- Travel to field offices when necessary; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- M.S. degree in accounting or financial management desired; B.S. degree with at least 10 years of experience required;
- Previous financial management of a USAID-funded project;
- Public or private sector management, financial analysis, cost accounting and relevant experience preferably in developing countries;
- Demonstrated capacity to supervise a complex financial management or general ledger system; and
- Fluency in English.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
Please apply on our website: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CRE1010CREAI/JobBoard/b093422a-53ee-4b40-...