Deputy Chief of Party
Creative Associates seeks a Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) for an upcoming five-year, multi-million-dollar USAID community-based education project in Afghanistan. Enrolling more children in school is one of the Ministry of Education's (MoE) highest priorities given the 3.7 million out of school children. Over the next five years, the MoE aims to increase low primary school attendance and improve secondary school enrollment, especially for poor and disadvantaged children in rural areas. The challenge lies in that there are simply not enough government schools and teachers to meet the need. Resource constraints have hindered the MoE in establishing an adequate number of public schools throughout the country. Vast gender disparities persist as well, with girls representing 39 percent of all enrolled students. Community-based education (CBE) continues to provide education opportunities to children where formal schools are still non-existent.
Position Summary: The Deputy Chief of Party works in tandem with the Chief of Party (COP), to provide technical and administrative leadership in the implementation of project activities, to provide quality control for the program’s technical outputs, and to support the COP in representing the program on high-level provincial level working groups, in donor and Ministry meetings (at the national and sub-national levels), and in other fora where the program’s goals, aims, and investments must be explained. The DCOP contributes to the timely submission of all required deliverables and reports and dedicates his/her efforts to ensuring that the award is implemented according to the technical stipulations in this statement of work and in conformity with the agreed-upon, finalized work plan.
Reporting & Supervision:
The DCOP will report directly to the COP and will be considered Acting COP in his/her absence. The DCOP will supervise several key project staff.
- Oversee all program operations, including administration, human resources, procurement and logistics, IT, communications, and grants;
- Ensure that program components are results-oriented, ensure high quality deliverables, and relevant and timely reporting;
- Coordinate the day-to-day management of operational staff in all project offices;
- Support the COP in managing the project team, ensuring a technically and operationally-sound program;
- Lead the development of annual work plans, milestone plans, and programmatic and operational budgeting;
- Ensure the timely preparation of required reports and deliverables, including quarterly, annual, and financial reports in accordance with USAID guidelines;
- Ensure project activities are meeting client expectations and that project results and accomplishments are disseminated appropriately;
- Work with the COP to improve implementation processes throughout the project;
- Represent the project in local, national, and international meetings and events in the absence of the COP; and
- Assist in the identification, recruitment, and management of consultants, and sub awardees.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in education, management, or a related social science field from an accredited university;
- At least eight (8) years of experience in relevant management, supervisory, technical experience working with programs of a similar scope and scale;
- Technical knowledge of the education sector;
- Experience interacting with and implementing education programming as one member of a complex, interrelated system of Ministry and donor representatives;
- Demonstrated ability to organize program work teams;
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of education stakeholders, and to liaise as needed with donor and home office personnel to ensure the smooth implementation of the contract;
- Program/project management experience working with rural, and/or underserved populations;
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of capacity building and professional development;
- Experience managing evidence-based early grade reading programming is preferred; and
- Professional proficiency and fluency in written and spoken English.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Regional experience and demonstrated capacity to implement programs in education in conflict-affected, alternative and rural settings.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
Please apply on our website: https://recruiting.ultipro.com/CRE1010CREAI/JobBoard/b093422a-53ee-4b40-...