Business Development Specialist II, Bangladesh
Job Title: Business Development Specialist II
Reports to: Bangladesh Country Manager
Salary Grade: 10
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS' relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS has been working in Bangladesh, in close partnership with Caritas Bangladesh, since 1971. Over the last 3 decades CRS has worked with Caritas Bangladesh to respond to the needs of refuges and those affected by disasters in the country. Currently, CRS is working with Caritas Bangladesh on development activities in several districts across the country focused on agriculture and livelihoods, DRR, SILC and WASH -- with donors including FFP, MAC Philanthropies and Caritas Australia. CRS is also working closely with Caritas Bangladesh in Cox's Bazar responding to the Rohingya Refugee crisis supporting shelter and protection programming -- with donors including OFDA, C&A Foundation, LDSC, and others. CRS is hoping to establish a full Country Program in Bangladesh at the request of Caritas Bangladesh and is seeking a qualified Business Development Specialist to support growth and strategic positioning.
As Business Development (BD) Specialist II you will lead the production of high quality applications for funding in support of CRS' engagement with institutional donors and initiatives involved in international development to serve the poor and vulnerable. Your knowledge and skills will allow you to provide specialized assistance in all dimensions of the BD cycle to cross-disciplines and cross-functional teams.
Roles and Key Responsibilities
- Provide BD expertise in positioning, capture planning and proposal preparation for specific opportunities with institutional donors (government and inter-governmental award issuing organizations, as well as foundations, corporations and other awarding non-governmental organizations). Including working with local Bangladeshi staff and consultants to support these activities in key local fora and taking advantage of local opportunities with non-traditional donors.
- Work with staff and partners to contribute to develop a country program value proposition and strategy aligned with CRS' global strategy Vision 2030.
- Coordinate proposal development processes to ensure timely submission of high quality proposals that are responsive to donor requirements, applicable regulations, and CRS' technical and cost standards. Lead and support proposal budget processes and propose recommendations to develop a competitive proposal.
- As appropriate, serve as proposal coordinator or other lead role in proposal team, and participate in bid analysis and proposal review panels. Serve as a lead or support writer on proposals, contributing both technical and non-technical content and integrating inputs from staff and partners into a responsive, coherent proposal with a compelling vision and clear win themes.
- Train and mentor staff and partners, as needed, to improve their skills in proposal development, representation to donor and partner organizations, intelligence-gathering, and marketing within their country program or portfolio.
- Work closely with Caritas Bangladesh to support their ability to take a leading role in business development processes and award negotiation -- particularly with institutional donors -- to facilitate localization.
- Support and guide identification of partners and negotiation of CRS' role on proposal consortia, ensuring a competitive position for CRS that adheres to the agency's partnership principles and strategic directions. Research, track and analyze new opportunities and CRS' competitive position within the marketplace.
- Support senior management to cultivate and strengthen institutional relationships with institutional donors, partner organizations and other stakeholders.
- Work with appropriate staff to maintain data on past performance and corporate capacity, in order to provide timely information for proposal submissions.
- Bachelor's degree in international development, international relations, or related field. Master's degree preferred.
- Minimum five years of international development experience, with at least three years experience in a developing country.
Required Languages - Fluent English (spoken and written); Knowledge of local language(s), particularly Bangla, preferred.
Travel - include percentage of required travel, if applicable. Could be stated as Must be willing and able to travel up to 35 %.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture.
- Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Strong communications and presentation skills.
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing diverse, proactive strategies to competitively position his/her organization for new funding and productive institutional relationships.
- Exceptional writer with expert command of English grammar and AP style.
- Demonstrated experience leading and producing competitive proposals in programming contexts similar to CRS.
- Comprehensive familiarity with a broad range of institutional donor technical and cost requirements.
- Experience with both USAID RFP and RFA funding mechanisms highly desirable.
- Familiarity with relevant institutional donor regulations, policies, procedures and priorities.
- Demonstrated experience working with partners in a collaborative and productive manner
- Demonstrated experience managing teams and processes, leading teams to produce deliverables under tight deadlines and at exceptional quality.
Knowledge of CRS programs, justice agenda and Catholic Social Teaching principles a plus.
Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities (if none, state none): None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: CRS TAs (DRR, SILC, MEAL, Ag/Livelihood), SAPLING Director, Partnership and PQ Assurance, CRS Rohingya Response Team, Operation Manager and Finance Officer, Sub-regional Rep, Regional BD Specialist, DRD (PQ) and other TAs as needed.
External : Caritas Bangladesh program and management staffs in Dhaka and other regional offices as needed, Existing Donors for CRS Bangladesh, INGOs, etc.
****Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS' processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.*
By applying to this job, the applicant understands and acknowledges that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, the applicant understands that if s/he is a successful candidate, s/he will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and their personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate their behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer