Compliance and Internal Auditor (CIAM)
Mayday Rescue Foundation is an international not for profit organisation. Mayday seeks to protect civilians against the effects of war and natural disaster by enabling them to protect themselves. We work where we are most needed: we seek to support the communities that are the most vulnerable and the most exposed to threats from conflict or natural disaster. We build solutions to the problem at hand. Our customers are the civilians we protect. Our method is the capability we build from amongst them. The training and equipment of civilian protection/community resilience capabilities is a means to an end. We measure our performance by how good our teams’ civilian protection service is, as judged by the civilians they, and we serve. Mayday is headquartered in the Netherlands and operates regional office in Turkey. Our multinational team of more than 30 specialists has extensive experience of delivering complex programmes. Mayday Rescue Foundation is an equal opportunities employer and applications are actively encouraged from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. Further information about Mayday can be found at www.maydayrescue.org
Scope of Work
The main function is to promote a culture of awareness and respect of Mayday internal processes and policies, as well as familiarity with specific donor rules and regulations. To ensure an understanding of the necessity of compliance with those rules/regulations, processes and policies throughout Mayday including its implementing partners and the implications of non-compliance. The role is two-fold, with both an advisory and an assurance aspect. On the assurance side you will be responsible for completing quarterly compliance reviews of transactions, consolidating action points, and submitting to the ExCom and Board of Directors teams for review. You will oversee the planning and implementation of regular internal and compliance audits including donor compliance, internal control assessments and, if necessary, fraud investigations at Mayday and partner level. S/he is to ensure that proper financial and system (including procurement, travel, admin, HCM, etc.) controls are in place and are being complied with in line with Mayday and donor procedures. You will also be responsible for completing interim and final compliance reviews on any implementing partners. On the advisory side, you will be responsible for advising various departments within the Mayday Country Programme on donor and Mayday requirements throughout every stage of the project life cycle. You will also be responsible for designing and delivering training workshops on relevant donor and Mayday rules, regulations and policies to both Mayday and implementing partner staff.
CIAM will be responsible for:
· Ensure a strong understanding of Mayday and donor requirements from proposal development through to final donor audit
· Develop strong knowledge of Mayday’s specific internal control procedures as well as donor requirements such as those in relation to procurement, logistics, finance, partnerships, etc.
· Develop deep understanding of Mayday country programmes followed by analysis and identification of compliance risks and control gaps.
· Evaluate and improve the effectiveness of risk management and control processes
· Continually build on understanding of the specific requirements of donors and understand the type of analysis that donors undertake when they conduct audits with particular emphasis on DFID, GIZ, EU, DFATD and other country specific donors as required.
· Stay informed of and ensure compliance with Mayday’s policies and procedures, including but not limited to Complaiance, Anti-Fraud and Whistleblowing policy, HCM, procurement, logistic and finance procedures
· Regular and objective review of Mayday internal control processes to ensure that the risk management and internal control process are operating effectively
Quarterly Compliance Reporting
· Complete quarterly compliance reviews of transactions, using standard Mayday templates and submit to the Board of Directors team for review. These quarterly reports require substantive reviews of transactional documents in relation to HCM, procurement, logistic and other high-risk areas, to ensure donor and Mayday processes/procedures have been followed and sufficient audit trail exists.
· You must keep a record of any action points and recommendations from quarterly reviews and submit to the ExCom in country. You will be responsible for following up with relevant management on action points/recommendations and making sure they are cleared in a timely manner.
· You, with assistance from the operation team, will develop country specific training materials, relating to Mayday’s and donors’ processes, policies, rules and regulations. Training materials will be required for a variety of subjects and for use with Mayday and implementing partner staff.
· You, in conjunction with relevant management in country, will be responsible for scheduling necessary mandatory training for all staff in country and including implementing partner staff where relevant. Once scheduled, the CIAM will be responsible for delivering the training in a professional manner, keeping attendance and post-test records, and reporting of same to management in country.
· Training workshops to be delivered include, but are not limited to, training on Mayday compliance policies such as the Anti-Fraud policy and the Whistleblowing policy as well as other Mayday policies/procedures as necessary.
· You will also provide training to relevant staff on specific donor requirements such as DFID, GIZ, EU, DFATD, and other country specific donors using standard Mayday materials where available or in some cases developing new materials
Donor Programme Lifecycle
· You will provide advice as required to various departments within Mayday Country Office including finance, HCM, procurement, logistics and programmes, on various donor and Mayday requirements throughout the lifecycle of a project. This will include advising at proposal stages, agreement signing, partnership development, during implementation (particularly with regards to procurement) and at reporting stages to insure specific donor requirements are taken into consideration.
· You will be required to review new donor agreements and modifications and to present a summary of the main compliance requirements of the agreement to management and staff.
· You will also be responsible for organising and facilitating Grant Management Meetings (GMMs) at various stages throughout a grant (Opening, Interim and Closing). The CIAM will send out the agenda, present where relevant, document minutes and circulate minutes and actions points to relevant staff after each meeting. Any incomplete action points must be brought to the attention of the ExCom.
· You will maintain all grant files in both hard/soft copy, ensuring that all relevant documents are filed and easily accessible and following Mayday filing guidelines.
· You will make regular visits to all Mayday projects in order to carry out assessments of programme procedures to identify if there are any internal control weakness. If weaknesses are found the CIAM will make recommendations to make the systems more robust.
· You will help ensure that new partnerships are being established and managed in line with internal policies/procedures and any donor requirements and make recommendations, including in relation to training requirements of Mayday and implementing partner staff, where necessary.
· You will be responsible for carrying out interim and final compliance reviews of implementing partner transactions and will make recommendations to ExCom on whether or not full or partial payments should be made to implementing partners.
· You will work closely with departments/partners and relevant managers to ensure that any issues identified are properly understood, improvement commitments are made and that their implementation is monitored.
· Working with in country finance departments where relevant, assist in the facilitation of donor audits – checking documents for completion before handing over to auditor(s) for review, keeping a log of documents submitted to auditors, and responding to auditor queries where relevant.
· Providing guidance/support to staff in relation to anti-terrorism and sanctions checking procedures – this will include providing training where necessary.
· Provide quarterly updates to Board of Directors on findings/recommendations from any audit / risk / fraud investigation work.
· Conduct fraud investigation work when necessary.
· University graduate with a background in finance, management, administration or a related field
· A recognised accountancy qualification (ACA, ACCA, CIMA, etc.)
5-7 years’ experience working in a finance/accounting/audit role
Skills and abilities
· Experience in performing audits/reviews of systems/controls
· Experience in reviewing documents/reports with a keen eye for detail;
· Excellent Excel and Word skills;
· Willingness to travel and work in challenging environments;
· Fluent in English
· Excellent training skills, including designing and developing training workshops, and materials, including online materials;
· Work or residence permit in the Netherlands
· Able to instruct and enforce adherence to rules and regulations;
· NGO experience would be advantageous, preferably in a finance or compliance position, with particular experience with/knowledge of institutional donors such as GIZ, DFTAD, USAID/OFDA, or DFID
Mayday Rescue is committed to diversity, inclusion and equal opportunities within its workforce, regardless of race, colour, gender, nationality, age, religious and political believes, or sexual orientation. Mayday Rescue encourages qualified female and male candidates, to apply to become a part of our team. If you find yourself a good match for this position, and if you are interested in joining a highly dynamic team and having a direct positive impact on Mayday’s programmes, please submit your CV and cover letter on our career portal by clicking below link. https://goo.gl/Vixei8