Media and Communications Advisor
Pathfinder International is driven by the conviction that all people, regardless of where they live, have the right to decide whether and when to have children, to exist free from fear and stigma, and to lead the lives they choose. Since 1957, we have partnered with local governments, communities, and health systems in developing countries to remove barriers to critical sexual and reproductive health services. Together, we expand access to contraception, promote healthy pregnancies, save women’s lives, and stop the spread of new HIV infections, wherever the need is most urgent. Our work ensures millions of women, men, and young people are able to choose their own paths forward.
Media and Communications Advisor
The media and communications advisor is a vivid storyteller, able to connect our audiences with Pathfinder’s work. A strong writer and editor, they will works with reporters and the media to secure press coverage on Pathfinder initiatives and documents the successes and impact of Pathfinder’s work, ensuring program communications are in line with the organization’s strategic communications plan. Collaborates with program and country staff to design and implement program specific communications strategies. Ensures consistency in branding and the adherence to the Pathfinder style guide. Represents Pathfinder at external events and with external audiences.
Key Job Outcomes:
* Writing and Communication: Contributes to the writing, editing, production, dissemination, and management of communications materials (including online and traditional publications) in support of the Pathfinder’s communications strategy. Ensures consistency in the language, look and feel of all materials (including press releases) targeted to external audiences.
* Press and Media Engagement: Builds and maintains relationships with key reporters and media contacts covering Pathfinder issues. Develops a proactive media plan to secure positive news coverage. Tracks news coverage on Pathfinder and our industry. Prepares staff for interviews with the press.
* Editorial Direction: Supports editorial direction to promote thought leadership. Contributes to annual editorial calendar to guide coordinated organizational efforts.
* Messaging and Brand Awareness: Serves as a brand manager, ensuring consistency in voice and brand across the organization. Develops and refines talking points, briefing materials and other communications documents to prepare Pathfinder staff for external events and presentations. Seeks opportunities to highlight Pathfinder’s work internally and externally, building support for Pathfinder at a global level.
* Budget Management: Manages the development or production budget for marketing and communications collateral. Contributes to the development of project proposals and budgets to ensure resources for strategic positioning and visibility efforts.
* External Relations Liaison: Serves as Pathfinder’s point of contact for external communications who forwards communication requests to appropriate departments. Builds and strengthens collaborative relationships with internal business units and teams.
* Vendor Supervision and Oversight: Oversees and guides vendor relationships. Identifies, recruits and engages communications professionals. Provides content and editorial oversight for consultants working on planning and message development and media.
* Project Management and Participation: Leads, manages or participates in cross functional project teams.
Minimally Required Job Competencies:
* Communications Principles and Practices: Advanced knowledge of applying standards, guidelines and best practices to communications efforts.
* Brand Strategy Development and Implementation: Advanced skills to create, execute and sustain effective enterprise-wide brand strategies, guidelines and standards.
* Media Relations: Knowledge of best practices in media and public relations, has existing relationships with key contacts in the media.
* Communications Tools: Advanced knowledge of online and new media communications tools.
* Leadership and Management: Proven ability to lead, supervise and coach members of staff in different locations.
* Job-Specific Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of software applications for web-based solutions, social media platforms, and apps.
* Project Management Planning and Management: Proven ability to plan and manage cross-functional initiatives.
* Reporting: Proven ability to read and interpret data for reporting. Proven ability to generate and present standard reports.
Minimally Required Organizational Competencies:
* Software Applications: Advanced knowledge of Microsoft products, including MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook. Working knowledge of Adobe Creative (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator) appreciated but not required.
* Analysis and Sound Judgement: Advanced analytical and trouble shooting skills. Ability to make sound judgments. Ability to improve processes, promote excellence and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
* Languages: Proven ability to write and speak using the English language.
* Communication: Advanced oral and written communication skills using different forms of media. Ability to translate complex concepts to individuals at all levels.
* Passion for Sexual and Reproductive Health Services: Demonstrated commitment to family planning, reproductive health services, gender, maternal, child health services, and eradication of harmful traditional practices
* Influencing and Customer Service Skills: Proven ability to influence using diplomacy skills with key stakeholders. In-depth demonstrated customer service skills.
* Organization, Planning and Multi-tasking: Advanced organizational and planning skills, project planning and management skills. Proven ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and multi-task with minimal supervision. Proven ability to coordinate activities.
* Self-Management and Teamwork: Ability to work independently or as a member of the team, ability to be detailed-oriented and consistently accurate, ability to manage stress effectively in a fast-paced environment, ability to quickly learn new systems, processes and procedures, and ability to adapt local practices to global standards.
* Matrix Management: Ability to thrive in a matrixed organization.
* Confidentiality: Proven ability to maintain confidentiality on work-related issues.
Minimally Required Education, Training and Experience:
* Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, or a combination of education and experience that yields the minimally required competencies
* 4 years’ professional strategic communication experience, preferably in sexual and reproductive health and rights, global health, international development or a related field
* Work experience with a multinational organization preferred
* Experience working with a global staff
* Prefer: Experience living or working in developing countries that aids in the understanding of program context, field realities, and technical needs
* Prefer: Fluency in French or Portuguese
* Minimal travel required (10%)
* Uses cellular and desk phone; laptop or desktop computer
* May provide supervision of temporary, volunteer or staff as assigned
* May be accountable for the performance and workload assignment of external consultants and vendors
Pathfinder International is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status. Pathfinder International does not charge candidates Recruitment or Application fees for any position, to which they may apply globally.