MYANMAR – FIELD COORDINATOR – BHAMO
Desired start date: 15/12/2019
Duration of the mission: 12 months
Location: Kachin State. Based in Bhamo Town
ABOUT THE MISSION …
SI has been in Myanmar since 2008. For the first three years SI worked in the Delta in response to the devastating Cyclone Nargis. In 2011, SI expanded to three new regions (Dry Zone, Rakhine, and Chin State) focusing on Livelihoods, Food Security, Shelter, and WASH. In January 2012 SI expanded to Kachin State to respond to an emergency situation created by the displacement of Kachin population affected by the arm conflict.
Currently, SI has a coordination base in Yangon, with field operational bases in Rakhine and Kachin States, counting about 300 staffs.
Kachin base counts 55 staffs, including 3 international staff (1 Field Coordinator, 1 WASH PM and 1 Admin Manager), 3 PMs and a representation office in Myitkyina. In Kachin, SI manages intervantions in Wash, FSL and emergency sector, in collaboration with local partners.
ABOUT THE JOB
The Field Coordinator has the role of delegated Country Director for a region of a country in which Solidarités International intervenes.
He/she proposes a regional strategy according to the geopolitical and humanitarian context, and ensures its implementation once validated.
He/she checks and ensures that projects are carried out in accordance with the Solidarités International charter, respecting all internal and contractual procedures
He/she mobilizes the material and financial resources necessary for programs to run smoothly, and supervises resource management.
He/she coordinates the teams in place and is responsible for their security in his/her assigned zone.
He/she is responsible for the coordination with local actors including UN, local actors (NGOs, Authorities) and INGOs.
He/she is in charge of supervising partnerships with local NGOs (contractual management, capacity building, coordination)
He/she is the Country Director’s direct contact and representative.
- Coordination and strategic orientation
- Relevance and operational quality / operation monitoring
- Resource management
- Collaboration and coordination
- Human resource management
- Financial backer relations / search for funding
- Internal and external communication
- Representation and coordination
ORG CHART POSITION (REPORTING AND FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS)
Line manager: Country Director
Line report(s) on base: 6 people (direct management)
Priorities for the 2/3 first months
- Strengthen relations with humanitarian community in both Bhamo and Myitkyina
- Ensure a strong coordination with humanitarian actors (UN, NGOs and donors)
- Finalize the design of new proposals and start implementation of new projects
- Develop Kachin strategy according to SI strategy in Myanmar and adapt set up according to operational perspectives
- consolidate local partner relationships
Education: Master degree or equivalents in humanitarian and/or project management related fields
- Minimum 3 years’ experience managing team notably in remote control.
- Previous experience and achievements in working with local partners, notably on activities implementation and capacity building.
- Previous experience in developing post emergency context projects is compulsory.
- Previous experience working in insecure environments (post-conflict, conflict), dealing with various stakeholders and working in IDP/refugee camps is highly desirable.
- Previous experience in managing security is highly desirable.
- Experience in Wash and/or FSL and/or Emergency response sector would be an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Solid proposal/reporting writing skills
- Capacity building/training knowledge, notably in local ONGs strengthen.
- Experienced and efficient team management approach
- monitoring and evaluation knowledge
- strong resources management skills
- strong representation/communication skills,
- Security management
- Knowledge in Wash/FSL/Emergency sectors is a strong added value
- Diplomacy and analytical approach
- Ability to take initiatives, decisions and work in autonomy is essential;
- Good problem solving skills in day to day and crisis situations;
- As line manager, the candidate must display smooth leadership skills;
- Capacity to work and live in a remote area
Languages: Fluent in English is mandatory (spoken and written)
Other desirable qualities: An experience in Myanmar or in another Southeast Asian country would be an asset
SI WILL OFFER YOU
A salaried post: according to experience from 2860 euros gross per month (2600 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem: 500 USD / month.
Social and medical cover: Expatriates benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
Bhamo is a secondary low-key town in Kachin State in Northern Myanmar, located 186km south of the capital city of Kachin State (Myitkyina).
From Yangon, it takes a 3-hour flight to get to Bhamo, through Mandalay.
Volatile context but no major security constraints.
SI has a comfortable guesthouse, spacious and equipped with all basic furniture, included good internet connection. The office is situated 10 minutes by bike from the guesthouse. Expatriates move independently by bike or on foot.
In Bhamo, there is a limited expatriates community; social life is calm but there are some local restaurants/bars, shops and a big market available; local gym and jogging are possible too.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link:
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension