Country Finance Manager
Summary of the Position
Working directly under the supervision of the Country Director, the Country Finance Manager (CFM), will be responsible for overall financial management of Nascent’s program in Malawi by ensuring effective strategic and operational financial planning, monitoring, and reporting that enhance use of data for decision making; in compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements of US federal government (USDA & USAID), Nascent Solutions and the Government of Malawi. The CFM will also oversee all the finance aspects of effective grant management and donor reporting.
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Type of Employment: Salaried, full-time
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee day to day accounting and finance of the country office and field offices
- Prepare and interpret timely periodical financial and budget variance reports to promote stewardship, control and risk management
- Oversee monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual analysis of the project’s trial balance and financial reports. Submit the reports on time to the HQ finance.
- Main advisor to country office management on all matters relating to financial management.
- Stay abreast of changes in the financial operating environment and promotes policies and processes to ensure the project adapts to these changes.
- Continuously improve, develop and enforce policies, procedures, structures and systems that provide for consistency, integrity, professional standards, accountability, transparency and legal requirements.
- Supervise and manage the finance team, with a focus on talent development and retention.
- Oversee grant management and ensure program outcomes more clearly link with finances
- Spearhead the development, implementation and periodic review of operations plans, management plans, budgets, work plans and activity schedules that support effective program delivery.
- Track restricted funds and monitor donor fund balances to ensure program teams are up to date with their financial situation and to ascertain prudent and compliant management of grants and funds received from donors and partners.
- Help develop budgets and budget narrative for new proposals as per the guidelines and templates of each proposals
- Plan and oversee annual project audits and ensure timely response to audit queries and issues.
- Ensure that the organization’s assets and other resources are safeguarded against financial loss through fraud and error by maintaining sound internal controls systems
- Proactively develop financial forecast analysis to assist in areas such as management of currency risk and cost allocation rates.
- Oversee timely and accurate financial year-end closure and submission of year-end reports.
- Supervise and mentor administrative assistant and sub-grantees working on specific-based activities/sectors.
- Contribute to the planning and implementation of capacity building for grant/project-based staff
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- MBA/ACCA with more than 10 years of progressive Accounting and financial experience in not for-profit organizations.
- Experience with project accounting requirements, particularly US Government-funded, and experience in creating, utilizing, and managing systems and staff that ensure compliance with those requirements.
- Experience using Accounting software preferably quick books
- Experience in budget monitoring and managing financial reporting requirements.
- Balance of strong analytical and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated success in achieving results under challenging implementation circumstances.
- Fluency in English
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Country Finance Manager- Malawi” in the email subject line. CVs without cover letters will not be considered. Malawi nationals are highly encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing date for applications is October 15th, 2019. Candidates are encouraged to apply early as possible as we are looking to fill the position quickly.
About Nascent Solutions
Nascent Solutions (Nascent) is a Virginia-based 501(c) (3) non-profit international development organization. Its mission is to enable vulnerable people, especially women and children in rural Africa, to develop skills for self-sufficiency. The organization’s areas of focus are food security and nutrition, health, education and skills development, and gender equity.