Resident Program Officer - Haiti
very employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence- We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom- We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency- We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Resident Program Officer (RPO) works in the design and implementation of IRI programs in Haiti. The RPO supports implementation of projects, including monitoring the program budget. The RPO interacts with IRI Washington headquarters staff, U.S. and host country government officials, and program grantees.
- Undergraduate degree and at least 3-5 years professional experience in democratic governance and politics, preferably implementing projects in the field.
- Fluency in French. Proficiency in Haitian Creole preferred.
- Strong oral and written communication and presentation skills in French and English.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively direct or participate in complex negotiations with bilateral and/or multilateral government agencies, other donors or relevant audiences.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively meet program needs.
- Effective project management skills.
- Willingness to travel and live in a challenging political environment abroad.
- Demonstrated experience implementing effective programs in complex social and political environments.
- Experience identifying and analyzing complex problems and developing creative solutions.
- Experience with grant management and basic accounting experience necessary to draft and oversee a budget.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Monitors, analyzes and reports on political and related developments in Haiti to provide regional and country analysis.
- Serves as the official IRI representative in country, developing credibility with and maintaining good relationships with all relevant stakeholders, including U.S. and foreign diplomats and donor agencies, host-country government representatives, and program partners.
- Participates in the substantive design of new programs and contributes to the development of new program ideas.
- Supports the implementation of all program activities, ensuring consistency with grant work plans and objectives.
- Establishes, maintains, and develops productive working relationship with relevant stakeholders, consultants, field and DC staff.
- Oversees operations related to the IRI field presence, and ensures IRI is in compliance with local laws regarding IRI’s legal status in the country and employment of local staff.
- Supervises local field staff, including participating in the hiring, professional development and evaluation process for these staff. Sets specific goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
- Maintains an understanding of donor and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight.
- Understands a grant’s substantive, financial and compliance requirements.
- Oversees the implementation of all program activities in the country ensuring consistency with grant work plans and objectives, reporting weekly to D.C.
- Monitors and approve field office budgets and expenses, in collaboration with DC program staff and the Regional Project Accountant, to ensure that expenditures remain within budget allocations.
- Monitors, analyzes and reports to DC staff on political and economic developments, and media responses.
- Ensures adherence to monitoring and evaluation plans, including the monitoring of programs and evaluation/analysis of program results.
- Provides information and contributes to sections of quarterly, semi-annual, final and other relevant reports for donors.
- Anticipates potential problems and trouble shoots project problems and offers solutions and actively takes part to lead resolution of them with creative and immediate solutions.
- Leads business development efforts, including identifying and seeking out potential new or additional sources of funding with real-time costs estimates for proposal budgets, and/or the development of new program ideas, coordinating with DC staff.
- Actively supports IRI’s communication strategy including IRI’s branding and outreach plans on projects assigned, including drafts and updates program summaries and other outreach materials, drafts web stories, tweets, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Please apply via our website: