Senior Youth Specialist- Manager Generation Democracy
Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the Core Values in their day to day operations. The Core Values, which are IRI’s foundational building blocks include:
Excellence- We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom- We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency- We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
The Senior Youth Specialist; Manager Generation Democracy will lead and manage IRI’s Generation Democracy initiative, IRI’s flagship global youth initiative that aims to identify and equip a generation of changemakers with the knowledge and skills to better advocate for reform, overcome barriers to meaningful political participation and promote more vibrant, resilient and inclusive democracies. The Senior Youth Specialist; Manager Generation Democracy will also provide technical advice and assistance across programs to ensure inclusivity of marginalized populations, particularly youth, as cross-cutting issues for all democracy, rights and governance (DRG) programs.
• Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field; Masters’ Degree preferred.
• Minimum five years professional experience working in international development
• Demonstrated experience and technical knowledge with ensuring the inclusion of marginalized populations, particularly youth, as cross-cutting issues for (DRG) programs.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and execute program activities in ways that both achieve results and raise the initiative’s public profile.
• Experience with project and budget management preferred.
• Experience living, working and/or traveling internationally.
• Strong written and oral communications and presentation skills in English.
• Ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and lead the efforts of other professionals to effectively address Institute needs.
• Proven ability to write effective proposals, reports, procedures, complete required forms, and maintain complete and accurate documentation.
• Knowledge of USG funder regulations preferred.
• Ability to work under pressure and take initiative to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
• Experience supporting interactions with corporate donors or business development preferred.
• Strong ability to initiate, foster, interact, and maintain relationships with contacts and stakeholders in a diverse and multicultural environment, with sensitivity, respect, discretion, tact, and professionalism.
• Ability to maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding all aspects of work at all times.
• Ability to effectively manage financial resources in manner that meet highest standards of both the Institute and funders.
• Willingness to travel to remote and difficult countries.
Primary Functions & Responsibilities
• Provide technical direction and management of IRI’s Generation Democracy initiative.
• Provide technical advice and assistance to ensure inclusivity of marginalized populations, particularly youth, as cross-cutting issues for all democracy, rights and governance (DRG) programs.
• Analyze and help ensure interventions are sensitive to issues of inclusion of marginalized groups who are facing various disadvantages and subject to different vulnerabilities, particularly youth populations.
• Keep abreast of inclusion issues and youth empowerment in political and civic processes and share with staff recent developments and knowledge tools in the areas of interventions.
• Provide technical guidance and/or quality control to proposals and project design regarding inclusivity elements, particularly for youth, that for example help overcome barriers to their political participation and transforming power structures to attain meaningful political involvement and influence.
• Serve as a technical lead/writer or subject matter expert for proposals ensuring inclusivity of marginalized populations, particularly youth, are effectively integrated throughout the proposal process
• Help identify new funding strategies and opportunities
• Conduct outreach and coordinate Institute-wide outreach on issues of inclusivity of marginalized populations and youth empowerment
• Identify and meet with other organizations/donors on possible new funding activities and/or partnerships related to inclusivity, youth or other relevant technical topics.
• Liaise with stakeholders to facilitate and enhance contribution to thought leadership on inclusivity aspects of democracy and governance
• Actively support IRI’s communication efforts, including drafting web stories, blogs, tweets, etc. and updating branding materials and represent IRI at external events
• Establish, maintain, and develop productive working relationships with relevant stakeholders, including DC and field-based staff
• Maintain an understanding of funder and IRI policies and procedures related to grant compliance and oversight
• Fully understand assigned grant’s substantive, financial and compliance requirements and ensures that assigned grants are completed on time, within budget, and in full compliance
• Monitor grant budgets and overseas project spending (budget trackers)
• Oversee and lead efforts to monitor and evaluate efforts for grants assigned
• Provide guidance to help ensure monitoring, evaluation and learning systems collect the necessary disaggregated data, and analyze information to reflect on inclusivity approaches and activities
• Document program and project developments as they relate to inclusivity issues across the Institute.
• Draft and provide input to high quality reports and products for funders
• Supervises staff assigned to the portfolio, including leading the hiring, professional development and evaluation process for these staff. Sets specific performance goals and provides ongoing performance feedback.
• Travel as needed for program oversight and implementation
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Please apply via our website: