Project Support Officer (Francophone)
As a member and main focal point of the Project Support Team, the Project Support Officer (PSO) works in partnership and in close collaboration with the Senior Manager (SM), as well as the Project's Director (PD) and Technical Strategy Lead (TSL) to ensure excellent project execution. The PSO's primary accountabilities are to:
- Serve as a key point of contact with the Senior Manager to coordinate and ensure effective and efficient provision of management and operations support to project(s).
- Serve as home office coordinator to plan for and execute the full project lifecylce (start up, implementation, and close out).
- Partner with corporate offices to ensure that MSH project management standards and methodologies continue to be appropriate and relevant, and champion/ensure its implementatioon on the project.
The PSO assists in building awareness, knowledge, and capability in respect to project management. The PSO may be required to supervise the Project Associates (PAs), if needed.
Project Management - Home Office Operational Support to Projects (80%)
- Serve as the main point of contact for the Senior Manager regarding requests for services, questions, needs, or challenges related to management and operations functions.
- Coordinate with corporate support offices (HR, FP&A, Contracts, Accounting, Procurement, etc.) to deliver services needed.
- Partner with home office, regional offices, and others to facilitate process to ensure timely and responsive services or resolution of challenges or issues involving field accruals, level of effort, local procurements, invoicing, and local accounting payments.
- Support Senior Manager and Project Director to anticipate, address, and, when needed, escalate project implementation and operations challenges requiring home office guidance and/or support.
- Coordinate home office support team, including potential supervision of PAs, and planning and delegation of tasks to meet project deadlines.
- Identify programmatic and administrative critical paths. Elicit next steps in activity implementation and coordinate team action and response.
- In collaboration with FP&A and budget support team, provide home office budget monitoring, including developing appropriate financial coding strategies to monitor project expenses. Develop cost share plan and monitor implementation, with support for documentation and approval contributions, as appropriate. Work in close partnership with the SM and FP&A to review monthly budget report and pipeline, and identify financial implications of technical activities.
- Manage home office procurement plan and processes. Review travel, purchase requests, and invoice payments as needed to ensure adherence to MSH policies, contractual requirements, and donor regulations.
- Support planning and execution (in collaboration with PD, SM, TSL, corporate, and country offices) of project orientation and team onboarding plans, project start-up and close-out.
- Provide support developing, drafting, and editing deliverables as needed, including quarterly progress reports, STTA reports, and other technical deliverables.
- Provide support to TA/STA/TSL for the development of SOW for subawards and monitor subaward implementation progress and deliverables.
- Manage consultant hiring with Contracts team, including supporting the development of SOW by the TA/STA/TSL, consultant agreement, payment, and supervisions, as needed.
- Draft project briefs and reports, presentations, documentation, and other communication materials, and collaborate with PD, SM, TSL, and communication staff in final development and production.
- As needed, supervise project associate staff to ensure cataloguing and electronic archiving of project documents, submission of documents to MEL team, and maintenance of project web page.
- Represent MSH and Project through communication with partners and stakeholders, as needed.
- Provide support for work planning, monitoring of project implementation and management, and provide additional staff coverage, as needed.
- Assist the PD, SM, and TSL in work plan strategy development, drafting, and annual work plan reviews, annual budgets, and PMP (if applicable).
- Assist the PD, SM, and TSL in articulating STTA and consultant needs to successfully implement the project's work plans, develop scope of works, and maintain STTA and consultant plan for the project.
- Provide support to PD and SM in monitoring project work plan and PMP.
Project Contribution to MSH's Global Agenda (10%)
- Support SM in monitoring project risk management strategy.
- Serve as the contact between the Project and other MSH departments to understand priorities and strategies, be an advocate and representative of MSH global agendas and priorities, and support the Project in their contribution to these.
- Coordinate with the SM to manage the agenda and schedule of field visitors to home office, and supervise the Project Support Associate staff, as assigned, to provide support for successful visits to MSH.
Supervision of Staff (10%)
- Supervise PSA staff, as assigned. Ensure learning and growth opportunities for staff within the project support and technical functions.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Public Health, Business, International Development, or other relevant field.
- Master's degree in Public Health or related field preferred.
- 4 years of experience supporting health and development projects in developing countries.
- Knowledge of US government and non-USG funded programs, regulations, and requirements.
- Experience implementing activities related to global health and health system strengthening preferred.
- 4+ years of demonstrated success and experience in overseas project support and management is particularly relevant.
- Direct overseas project work experience preferred.
- Demonstrated, relevant, and related experience in project management and business development.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong analytical and organizational skills demonstrated by ability to work both independently and within a team.
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail. Requires strong conceptualization, facilitation, and planning skills.
- Ability to contribute to drafts of deliverables and sections of deliverables including work plans, quarterly reports, annual reports, slide decks, and other technical products/reports; provides formatting and editing support for all products.
- Experience with developing program budgets and overall financial management of international projects.
- Experience in the management of USAID-funded activities. Understanding of USAID and field missions, USG audiences, trends, and requirements.
- Experience with programs supported by non-USG and international agencies and foundations, such as DFIS, the World Banks, WHO, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation preferred.
- Successful experience working in a home office environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skills. Excellent cross-cultural communication and active listening skills.
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a dynamic and fast-paced business development environment.
- Professional proficiency in French required.
- Information sharing.
- Managing and measuring work outputs.
- Priority setting.
- Business acumen.
- Supervision skills.
- In line with the core MSH competencies of adaptability, communication, problem solving, creativity and innovation, quality and timeliness of work, and quality of work and team relationships.
- Up to 25% local and international travel.
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10lbs.