Head of Mission - Bangladesh
Since 2007, Bibliothèques Sans Frontières has worked to bring knowledge and information to those who are most in need. Libraries are simultaneously excellent places for personal growth and collective development. However, they are too often absent where they could have the most impact.
Because lack of access to information is an important driver of inequality in today’s world, we work in 23 languages, in 50 countries across the globe, and have curated more than 28,000 sources of knowledge and information. These allow us to address some of the most important issues of our world today: education, health, employment, citizenship, environment and sustainability, disability, and technology.
Our work stands halfway between a humanitarian NGO that intervenes in the most difficult situations and a social enterprise that helps local and national governments diffuse knowledge where it is most needed. The diversity of our actions is our strength. Every day, we strive to give everyone the capacity to be free and autonomous, and to make decisions that help realize their aspirations.
Bangladesh has been on the front line of the Rohingya crisis for over 30 years. Since the events of the 25th of August 2017, more than 671,000 Rohingyas have crossed the border between Myanmar and Bangladesh. Today, there are nearly 1 million refugees in the country. The sudden increase in the number of Rohingya arrivals has stretched the capacity of humanitarian organizations operating in Bangladesh. These newcomers are housed in refugee camps but also in overcrowded makeshift camps, in schools, community centers, religious buildings...
BSF opened a mission in Cox's Bazar in July 2018 and launched its activities pertaining to education, access to information and protection of the district's communities.
In this context, BSF recruits a Head of Mission.
Coordinate the collection of teams and activities that are part of BSF’s mission in Cox’s Bazar.
The Head of Mission is under the direct authority of the manager of BSF’s Humanitarian Desk based at headquarters.
The Head of Mission assures the leadership and strategic direction of BSF’s operations in Bangladesh and is responsible for putting in place and developing the program there, respecting the organizational and national strategy, policies, and procedures of BSF. The Head of Mission is also responsible for assuring the management and skill-building of personnel, obtaining funds from donors, and representing BSF in front of the government, donors, and other relevant groups: including clusters, UN agencies, and the media.
• Institutional relationships: He/she will manage relationships with principal institutional donors, as well as potential donors. H/she will represent BSF in the country by engaging with institutions, NGOs, local and international organizations, and partners. He/she is also responsible for the reputation of the organization in Bangladesh.
• Strategy and planning: He/she will review and propose intervention priorities to the desk leader to expand BSF’s involvement and increase the number of beneficiaries in the country. He/she will contribute to creating the country strategy, and resulting plans (projects, budget, coordination, etc.)
• Program extension: He/she will coordinate the development, writing, and preparation of documents to present new projects, referring to the desk leader and instructions from headquarters.
• He/she will ensure proper implementation of projects, conforming to contractual obligations and donor procedures, as well as the management standards of BSF. He/she is responsible for the correct preparation of project reports and of all follow-up documents requested by headquarters. He/she will ensure the transmission of all official and administrative documents to headquarters.
• Management of Bangladesh office: He/she will be responsible for all aspects related to managing the office in Bangladesh: economic and financial situation, local regulations, organizational charts, logistics, management of local and expatriate staff, conforming to organizational directives, etc. He/she will ensure that national laws and administrative rules are respected.
• Personnel management: He/she will be responsible for managing employees in Bangladesh. He she will participate in and support the desk and human resources leader in the selection of expatriate personnel. He/she will coordinate the management of these personnel in Bangladesh.
• Security: He/she will be responsible for the safety and security of expatriate personnel, by correctly putting in place and respecting general safety rules and procedures.
• Economic and financial management: He/she will be responsible for the proper financial management of the mission. He/she will supervise the financial management in collaboration with the country Administrator, and will ensure that all deadlines for presentations and financial reports, as well as donor procedures, are followed. He/she will participate in the creation of the project budget.
• Registering in the country: He/she will be responsible for filing and following-up on BSF’s registration in Bangladesh, working with the country administrator.
• Visibility: He/she will cooperate with Communication and Partnership departments for all communication, awareness-raising, and fundraising activities put into place in or for Bangladesh.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATION
Education and Experience
Master’s degree (BAC +5) in a relevant field (International Relations, etc…)
Degree from Bioforce Institute (Humanitarian training institute in France) is preferred
At least 3 years of experience in a similar position
Experience managing a team (expatriate and national)
Knowledge of principal donors
Experience in security/safety management
Mastery of Microsoft Office suite
Able to work in French and English
Good stress management
Thorough, organized, and reliable
Sense of responsibility
Able to work autonomously
Dynamic, capable of making good suggestions
Capable of adapting, managing priorities, and acting pragmatically
Interpersonal and communication skills, team spirit
Interest for digital education and new technologies is appreciated
Belief in BSF’s values and missions
Conditions of hiring
· Status: Renewable, 6-month fixed contract
· Start date: December 2019
· Location: based in Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
· Salary and benefits: daily allowance, salary based on experience and BSF salary scale, per Diem, insurance, lodging in Guest House, unaccompanied post
In your CV, please add three references with their contact information.