The IRC started operations in Chad in 2004 to respond to the humanitarian crisis caused by the influx of refugees from Darfur to eastern Chad, with intervention in the Ouré Cassoni refugee camp. Assistance to Sudanese refugees has now expanded to the management of the ten camps in the East and one camp in the West with assistance to refugees and local communities in health, nutrition and water, hygiene and sanitation. In 2012, to respond to drought and food insecurity, IRC expanded its geographic coverage in the Guéra region. IRC is currently working in three health districts Mongo, Mangalmé and Melfi and is providing prevention and treatment of malnutrition to the local population. In May 2016, IRC opened an office in the Lac region to respond to the Boko Haram crisis. IRC implements assistance projects in health, nutrition as well as protection and response to gender-based violence.
IRC Chad is committed in its 2015-2020 Strategic Action Plan, to continue to provide essential humanitarian services in health, nutrition and protection / GBV, while improving the economic well-being and building the resilience of beneficiaries, especially women and girls. IRC Chad will continue to work with and closely support states actors/ Ministries for key areas of intervention so that IRC's actions fit into national policies to ensure better ownership of actions taken towards.
SCOPE OF WORK
Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director for Programs (DDP) of IRC Chad, the Environmental Health (EH) Coordinator will support the Country Program in implementing of EH program, namely in refuges camps in Eastern Chad. The EH Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination, quality and strategic steering of the EH programmatic portfolio in line with IRC Chad SAP, while developing field team capacities to ensure prompt, well planned interventions. S/he will play a key role in ensuring accountability towards communities and donors of EH programming and assure coordination with other actors and UN agencies.
- Designing, development and management of IRC’s environmental health program.
- Developing EH Country strategy in line with SAP.
- Direct supervision and management of the Environmental Health team in close collaboration with DDP and Field Coordinators.
- Oversight of all contractors and partners engaged in the implementation of EH projects.
- Participation to coordination meeting related to EH at regional and national level.
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other sectors and in particular Health, Women Protection and Empowerment, and Early Recovery and Development.
- Provide technical and management leadership to the EH program in accordance with best practice and IRC policy
- Supervise implementation and expansion of EH services in aim to achieve targeted program objectives.
- Review and evaluation of programs to assist in enhancing program delivery and quality
- Leads, or contributes to, development of country sector strategic direction and plans
- Contribute to Multi sectorial Assessments (MSA) including analysis and planning
- Work closely with M&E department to support process of client responsiveness and feedback mechanism
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming
- Document lessons learnt, innovative approaches, generated evidence, to participate in IRC’s global learning
- Identify opportunities of expansion of EH programing, put in place Action plans that takes into account identified gaps and internal IRC capacity to respond.
Coordination and optimal use of resources :
- Ensure regular and accurate analysis of spending, leading budget revisions in cooperation with the finance department
- Ensure spending against targets ;
- Ensure regular follow up of procurement including purchases and stock in cooperation with the supply chain department ;
- Ensure procurement planning at proposal stage when appropriate ;
- Hierarchical management of EH managers ;
- Coach the team under direct responsibility to ensure efficient and effective planning, implementation and monitoring of all activities and their understanding of expected program outcomes ;
- Contribute to raise awareness and ensure compliance among own team of core IRC and donors’ policies and procedures relevant to their work ;
- Ensure at all-time optimal use of financial, human and logistics resources ;
- Contribute to the full compliance with security plans and protocols of own team and to security related information sharing in cooperation with the Senior Leadership and Management Team (SLMT)
Staff Supervision & Development:
- Supervise team under his supervision to assure good planning, implementation and effective monitoring of all activities.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions
- Overall responsibility for staff timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
- Lead the recruitment of staff when funding is confirmed
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with designated staff
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures – Promote IRC Way.
Coordination and Representation:
- Participate proactively in WASH cluster, different working group meetings, inter cluster as well as in all appropriate humanitarian fora related to EH sector.
- Coordinate EH activities in camps with UNHCR.
- Share information on IRC EH activities with external stakeholders, contributing to the coordination of all donors’ visits
- Reinforce our work with Ministry of Water.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Quality assurance and Reporting:
- Maintain an effective monitoring, evaluation and planning system
- Analyze EH date and share information with the DDP
- Responsible for all internal and external programmatic reporting, including donors reports
- Coordinate program evaluations and reviews, ensure documentation of lessons learned informing reporting and program development
- Contribute to the development of guidelines, including technical design of software and hardware interventions for all domains under its responsibility
- Ensure IRC and international quality standards for humanitarian action are fulfilled throughout the project management cycle
- Provide technical support in EH to the team under direct responsibility and the overall mission ;
- Ensure that gender, protection and environmental impact are mainstreamed in all programming under direct responsibility.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the SMT, and when liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Fluency in French and English required (oral and written)
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, hydrology, public health or related subject; Masters level education preferred.
- Five (5) years professional experience in design and implementation of water, sanitation and hygiene projects in emergency and development contexts, including one (1) year experience in an emergency context
- Groundwater hydrology and/or water resource management experience an asset
- Experience in Africa is preferred
- Strong program/technical and budget management skills, planning, reporting, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Excellent understanding of EH issues in emergency situations and knowledge of emergency standards (Sphere)
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison
- Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well
- Knowledge and/or experience in conflict management, protection, or other related field
- Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills
- Strong management, planning, analytical and interpersonal
- Excellent Computer skills: MS Word, Excel; AutoCAD and GIS preferred
National applicants are encouraged.
Security: The EH Coordinator will be based in Iriba (phase III - Orange) with frequent travel to sub-offices (phase Orange).
Accommodation: The EH Coordinator will be provided with shared housing in Iriba and IRC sub-offices. This position is non-accompanied.