The Board Liaison supports the CEO’s office by providing administrative support to the MSH Board of Directors. He/She acts as an administrative liaison between the CEO, General Counsel/Board Secretary, and Board members.
Board-related responsibilities include: updating and maintaining Board Committee Charters and Board Manual; managing communications on committee chairs, committee membership, and rotations; creating, updating and ensuring the distribution of Board agendas and materials; coordinating and scheduling meetings with Board Directors; managing logistics for quarterly Board meetings; and maintaining documentation of outcomes of Board meetings in support of Board activities as directed by the CEO. The position also works proactively with executive staff to carry out the policies, goals, and initiatives of the Board.
Additionally, the Board Liaison will provide administrative support to the General Counsel, including tracking legal matters, invoice processing, basic legal research, and other duties as assigned.
Board Meetings, Board Materials, Board Liaising and Communication (60%)
- Manage all aspects of General Board Meetings and Board Committee Meetings, including the planning and coordination of venues and meals/refreshments and the timely preparation and distribution of materials (e.g., requests, agendas, schedules, notices, resolutions, board books and all related publications and communications, etc.), consistent with Board-approved bylaws and procedures.
- Under the direction of the Board Secretary/General Counsel, maintain responsibility for storing, upholding, retrieving, certifying, and explaining all corporate documents and all official records of Board activities (including but not limited to the filing of all minutes of proceedings, tracking all resolutions, the processing of all conflict of interest and disclosure forms, etc.), including those of Board Committees.
- Under the direction of the Board Secretary/General Counsel, establish a retention schedule with regard to Board records; must have knowledge of electronic document management.
- Under the direction of the Board Secretary/General Counsel, oversee the Board and Board Committee calendars; manage communication with Board on the scheduling and location of all Board and Committee meetings.
- Under the direction of the Board Secretary/General Counsel, ensure that internal policy and report documentation is complete, correct/accurate, and meets legal and parliamentary standards.
- Under the direction of the Board Secretary/General Counsel, help to prepare onboarding and orientation materials for Board members.
- Keep MSH executive staff updated on changes to meeting dates, agendas, and expectations.
Board Travel (10%)
- Manage the logistics and travel arrangements for Board trips and travel for those Board members outside the corporate headquarters location; occasionally Board Meetings are held outside corporate headquarters.
- Assist with airline reservations, hotel, and limousine or car services to make these travel arrangements.
- Ensure prompt arrival and comfortable accommodations.
- Adhere to MSH policy and SOP regarding the booking of travel and accommodations.
Administrative and Board-Related Support to General Counsel (30%)
- Provide support to Corporate Secretary/General Counsel on corporate and governance functions as they pertain to the Board. Under the supervision/direction of the Board Secretary/General Counsel:
- Create and deliver ongoing training for officers and directors.
- Collect information from officers and directors to ensure legal and regulatory compliance with bylaws and corporate charter.
- Identify and approve related party transactions.
- Develop and administer policies on governance and best practices.
- Provide administrative support to General Counsel as necessary, including but not limited to:
- Book travel and process expense reimbursement as related to Board and General Counsel activities.
- Monitor and track legal matters to completion.
- Track invoices and provide General Counsel with regular updates.
- Perform legal research as needed (i.e. employee labor laws, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor's degree.
- 4 years’ progressively responsible experience working with CEOs, Board Secretaries/General Counsels, and Board Members.
- 5+ years progressively responsible work experience working with CEOs, Board Secretaries/Genera Counsels, and Board Members.
- Experience handling board governance, record-keeping, scheduling, and travel a plus.
- Experience researching legal matters a plus.
- Paralegal experience a plus.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of governance initiatives relevant to the Board support function; ability to conceive and implement actions needed to provide responsive and effective support to the Board.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively develop comprehensive, yet succinct, written and presentation documents that communicate authority and Board of Director issues.
- Ability to respond to directives received from individual members of the Board while being mindful that matters of policy significance, and/or significant resource utilization, require direction from the full Board and a high level of discretion and confidentiality.
- Project management skills necessary to plan, coordinate, and ensure the proper implementation of all administrative matters related to the functioning of the Board of Directors.
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite and Google applications.
- Proven research skills.
- Skilled at creating and building relationships.
- Business writing skills.
- Telephone etiquette skills.
- Project management skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing activities and work loads.
- Independent worker with ability to take initiative, as well as work well with existing team.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Professionalism and integrity.
- Managing and maintaining confidential information.
- Politically savvy.
- Cross-cultural agility.
- Organizational agility.
- Tact and diplomacy.
- Travel requirements 10%.
- Keyboard use, pulling drawers, lifting papers <10lbs.