Role & Responsibilities
Oversee all programme and support activities in-country. Represent Medair in all issues relating to the country programme, the Country Director plays a key role in donor relations and manages the country strategy and the project implementation in conjunction with senior field managers, and ensures constructive engagement in Medair’s regional approach for the Middle East.
Medair has been operational in Syria since January 2015, with a Country Office based in Damascus, and 3 field bases in the following locations: Damascus (Rural Damascus, Homs and South Syria), Aleppo, Deir Ez-Zor.
The programme is active in Medair’s key sectors: Health and Nutrition (support of basic health services including infrastructure repair, equipment and capacity building), Protection (in particular support of people with physical disabilities), WASH (small- to medium-sized repairs of water and sanitation networks) as well as Shelter (rehabilitation of household shelters and distributions of NFIs). The growing country programme has currently 5 international and 40 national staff.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Syria, Damascus. Take a look at Medair’s work in Syria.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
December 2019. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
Leadership & Management
- Update and evaluate the country strategy. Take into account community needs, donor criteria, the regional context, and an exit strategy in order to facilitate the long-term development of the projects.
- Manage the overall programme and support functions.
- Analyse humanitarian needs, trends and political developments in the country of operation.
- Ensure all programme activities and support functions comply with applicable national and international laws and regulations, including in-country registration.
- Ensure the country programme contributes constructively to Medair’s overall regional approach in the Middle East, sharing relevant information and seeking regional input for decision-making.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop contact with the in-country representatives of relevant funding in order to secure funding for the country programme, sharing information with other country programmes in the region.
- Present proposal cards for new projects for approval. Oversee the drafting and presentation of all proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme.
Coordination & Communication
- Develop relationships with authorities, donors, media, other NGOs and embassies. The objective is to raise public awareness and identify funding opportunities and other potential partnerships.
- Ensure that the GSO Engagement & Global Communications receives appropriate material for communication and fund-raising activities.
- Monitor the country project portfolio and base costs funding coverage
- Supervise the project budget management and expenditure, in collaboration with relevant managers and GSO team, ensuring that budgets are spent according to donor proposals and regulations.
- Ensure sufficient and appropriate controls are in place to prevent fraud.
- Oversee the implementation of country security plan, guidelines and manuals.
- Ensure security procedures and awareness are maintained in collaboration with the Security Focal Point for Syria.
- Take the lead on decision-making and contingency planning during security incidents or threats.
- Oversee all HR related issues within the programme.
- Provide leadership, advice, support and appropriate communication to team members.
- Promote operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines followed
- Ensure the country programme is implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Ensure frequent and appropriate monitoring and evaluation of programme activities and outputs.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and GSO prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University Degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Post-graduate degree in the humanitarian sector. Security management and leadership training
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- At least 3-4 years post-qualification experience in a senior management position.
- At least 2 years post-qualification experience in a complex humanitarian emergency.
- Experience in dealing with donors and government officials.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced leadership and management skills. Able to oversee multiple tasks, prioritising and delegating.
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.