Role & Responsibilities
Manage the implementation and coordination of the designated field projects. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the Medair projects, the Project Coordinator also plays a key role in liaison with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders, team leadership and security.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Kirkuk, Iraq. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
As soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects in accordance with the project proposals ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget.
- Manage a comprehensive activity plan, including resource needs analysis.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments are conducted and reports are made.
- Maintain an overview of the regional context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy.
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
- Develop and maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Actively participate in relevant local networks or task groups on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure programme details are transmitted in a timely manner.
- Plan and construct the budgets for the designated projects in accordance with donor guidelines.
- Ensure that budgets are spent according to Medair guidelines, donor proposals and regulations and within the appropriate timeframe, making budget adjustment recommendations.
- Ensure all personnel related issues for the staff of the designated projects are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines. This includes recruitment, objective setting, development and training etc.
- Ensure that staff receive appropriate and adequate training by providing mentoring and coaching.
- Hold regular team meetings and, through a consultative leadership style and a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure, develop and build an effective team.
- Promote the health and security of the staff by ensuring health and safety in the workplace.
- Monitor and review the security status of the areas of operation on a regular basis, liaising as applicable with local authorities, other NGOs, the UN or other relevant security bodies.
- Ensure all staff members working for the designated projects and all visitors receive appropriate briefings and on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the areas of operation are updated and implemented in response to changes in the security situation.
- Train and support relevant Project Managers in security planning, management and implementation.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures.
- Ensure designated projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international. Follow the direction of the relevant advisors at GSO regarding quality, strategy and technical guidelines.
- Regularly assess and provide feedback and recommendations on the quality of the programmes and interventions during field visits and at other relevant times.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management/ Development Studies/ Business Administration.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification experience in a management position, preferably in a relief environment.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines.
- Advanced leadership and project management skills. Experience and willingness in training staff.
- Good report and proposal writing skills, good negotiation skills.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills. Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
a) Medair organisational values.
b) Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
c) Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to this vacancy on our Medair page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.