BANGLADESH – DEPUTY FIELD COODINATOR FOR SUPPORT – TEKNAF
Desired start date: asap
Duration of the mission: 6 months
ABOUT THE MISSION IN BANGLADESH …
SOLIDARITES INTERNATIONAL (SI) opened its mission in Bangladesh at the end of 2007, following cyclone SIDR.
SI’s intervention and strategy in Bangladesh is to address primary needs of crisis affected people in terms of food security, livelihood, disaster risk reduction (DRR), water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) and shelter, by making use of an integrated disaster risk reduction approach and by taking into account the effects of climate change, whilst working in parallel on mid-long term resilience strategies.
SI supports displaced people and affected communities immediately after a disaster through the distribution of various kits, cash for work, emergency access to safe drinking water) and in the early recovery phase by livelihood activities, reconstruction of dwellings, etc. SI’s programs build the communities resilience towards future hazard events, this includes how to evacuate people and possessions as soon as possible, how to protect villages and fields by building small-scale infrastructures (dykes, causeways), and how to incorporate adaptive coping strategies for farmers by establishing agricultural practices and livelihoods that are less vulnerable to natural disasters. Furthermore, SI’s 2019 strategy has three pronged approach focusing on:
- Strengthening Communities through Resilience and Basic Services;
- Strengthening Communities ability to Access Resources;
- Reducing Marginalization through Inclusive Programming;
ABOUT THE JOB
The Deputy Field Coordinator (DFCo) support is in charge of supervision of the support departments (operational Logistics, Supply, Finance and HR) at the field level in Cox’s Bazar district / Teknaf base.
She/He will ensure that SI processes and procedures are respected at the field level, providing guidance and coaching to the support manager and facilitate/coordinate the work of these departments with the relevant Coordinators in Dhaka.
This position also supports the Field Coordinator in the security management at base level and represents SI in the relevant sectorial humanitarian fora under Field co delegation.
The mains responsibilities are:
- Coordination and strategic orientation for the support department
- Human resource management
ORG CHART POSITION (REPORTING AND FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS)
Line Manager: Field coordinator
Line report: support base Managers (finance, HR, logistic and Supply managers)
Functional Manager: Finance, RH and Logistic coordinator
Functional Report: –
MAIN CHALLENGES FOR THIS POSITION
The Deputy Field Coordinator (DFCo) will be deployed as responsible of all Support department on the big base of Teknaf, counting about 200 staffs, a large support team, multiple grants composing an important budget volume, and dealing with big challenges in coaching/capacity building base support managers (4 experimented staffs) and on internal communication/coordination.
We are looking for someone very experimented in dealing with complex admin and logistics duties on big workload volume, at base or mission level. He/she would be a support (adm/log) profile, but with a stronger proficiency in administration.
Someone who has solid technical skills and with strong organizational skills, able to delegate and coach efficiently all support managers and to build up and maintain the smoothest collaboration with other departments and with the coordination level, into the mission.
Specific stakes and challenges:
- Large size of operations (with around 200 base staff), including emergency projects having tight implementation timeframes.
- Deal with a wide range of donors grants requiring good attention to details and organization capacities.
- Support and facilitate Logistic department transition.
Priorities for the 2/3 first months:
- Ensure and improve communication and coordination into support department and with the programs one, in the scope to ensure SI rules and processes are respected and anticipated.
- To develop a specific Action plan for each support department, aiming to the smoothest internal functioning and to improve support service performance.
- Coaching, capacity building and facilitating the support managers in their team management and responsibilities
Education: Post graduate level in related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of international experience in a humanitarian or development NGO in support sector;
- Proven experience in conflict/post-conflict contexts
- Previous experience as Logistic and/or Administrative Manager/Coordinator, handling big workload volume on base or mission level.
- Proven experience as an efficient and effective manager, mainly in capacity building/coaching and staffs follow up
- Previous experience with Solidarités International on support position are strongly appreciated
- Experience in project cycle management, with focus on logistic.
- Previous experience in Bangladesh is an asset
Technical skills and knowledge:
- Strong organizational and coordination skills;
- Strong negotiation skills are essentials with experience in conflict resolution desirable;
- Deep knowledge and strong familiarity handling budgets and logistics procedures;
- Ability to multitask and deal with stressful situations.
- Strong diplomatic and smooth leadership skills is essential;
- Skills in creating and developing a good working environment and team cohesion in and out support department.
- Organization, rigor and ability to meet deadlines
Languages: excellent English, written and spoken is essential
SI WILL OFFER YOU…
A salaried post: according to experience from 2420 euros gross per month (2200 base salary + 10% annual leave).
Per Diem of 450 USD.
Social and medical cover: International staffs benefit from an insurance package which reimburses all healthcare expenses (including medical and surgical expenses, dental care and ophthalmological expenses, repatriation) and a welfare system including war risks. Essential vaccination and antimalarial treatment costs are refunded.
Vacation: During the assignment, a system of alternation between work and time off is implemented at the rate of one break every three months. Our policy was just modified: from now on, Solidarités offers you 7 working days ever three months, with a 850 USD allowance for each break. In addition to these regular break, SI adds a day off per worked month. These days off as well as the breaks are not deducted from the paid leaves that are paid every months with your salary as they are offered by the organization.
For further information about Solidarités International, please consult our website: http://www.solidarites.org/en/
Teknaf is a fisherman town counting more than 150,000 habitants and offering minimum services (local restaurants, local shops…) and nice beaches. It is located 2 hours from Cox’s Bazar city.
In Teknaf, International staffs are accommodated in a Guest House with good standard of living conditions and located close to the Office.
In Teknaf, International staffs can enjoy some time at the beach or in the market during week end. They also have the possibility to go to Cox’s Bazar city during weekends where they will find more social opportunities, in terms of wide range of restaurants, touristic attractions and a large International staffs community.
No remarkable security concerns.
Does this description fit you? Please send us your CV and Cover letter in English via this link:
CV only applications will not be considered.
NB: The vacancy may close before the deadline. Thank you for your comprehension